Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #21
msalamanca

Default Re: Some Flathead advise

Ok so I am going to take it to get tanked and fluxed this Thursday.
msalamanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #22
msalamanca

This is my first Flathead, want a basic runner.
So after I find out what the Machine shop says I will let you guys know.
My "plan" was to get it going, enough to cruise with, and get another Flathead and do a full build. How nature gets in the way of plans, gotta love it.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
msalamanca

Hey guys, its been several months. Due to time and some money issues I had to put everything on pause.

So this is where I am
Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0828.jpg (49.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0829.jpg (53.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0830.jpg (47.9 KB, 89 views)
Old 05-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
36tbird

You need to put your location on your membership moniker so guys can tell you where to find the help you need to fix that crack.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #25
Ol' Ron

Time to buy some books.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #26
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1builder View Post
i guess it depends on how much you want to spend too. you say it runs, if it runs well i wouldn't be trying to take it apart. i bought a 50 F3 that had been sitting for over 25 years and fired it up and it ran perfect. changed the oil and plugs and points and it is still a sweet engine. never did smoke, even after sitting all that time and after the first few minutes it ran. as to the radiator, it all depends too, if you have the money a new aluminum is great and gives added cooling capacity. if you want to save, try to find one locally (where are you?) and take it to a good radiator shop and have it tested and fixed if necessary. i had my 51 merc radiator done locally for $75.00 and it works great. good luck and keep us posted.
Please look up the "R" value of Aluminum and then look up the "R" value of Copper and then get back to me.

Thanks

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #27
Tinker

That's a mildly expensive crack but not an end all.

What do you want to do with this engine?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #28
msalamanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
You need to put your location on your membership moniker so guys can tell you where to find the help you need to fix that crack.
I live in Westminster, CA. It's in orange county, just inland from huntington beach
Old 05-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #29
msalamanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
That's a mildly expensive crack but not an end all.

What do you want to do with this engine?
I was originally hoping to run it. Is it possible to run it with that crack? There was no water in the cylinder when I pulled the head cover.
I have a 302 and a 283 at my disposal. Right now I am thinking of getting my shoebox running, don't want to do any major mods so I can put a flathead in it in the future.
This is my idea, hook up the 302 to the stock 3 speed w/OD. Tear down the flathead, if its fixable and not going to cost an arm and leg to repair the crack, get it done and slowly build it in hope of one day putting It in and enjoying my first flathead build.

BTW I am using my phone, apologize for the paragraph structure.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #30
Mart

The 283 might be a better bet, (We're talking Chevy, right?) adaptors are readily available, and of all the motor swaps it's probably the easiest.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #31
Tinker

IMO, Tear it down to a bare block then go have it magnafluxed to find out if there are any other cracks. Get an estimate to fix and then you can decide what to do next.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #32
Mike51Merc

It's called the snowball effect. We set out to get one just running and before you know it, it's in a million pieces and we're ordering parts.

That crack looks easily repairable and NO, you shouldn't run it that way. You probably have little to no compression in that cylinder from the valve seat crack.

There are guys that spend $8-$10 thousand rebuilding a flathead, but you can get one done for about $3,000 ($1500 parts, $1500 machine shop) if you break it down to a short block, get the machine work done, and put it back together yourself.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #33
sturgis 39

H and H Flatheads is in California. The only things they work on are Model Fords and Ford flat head v/8 s. They are set up for Fords and and they are real competitive on price and do good work. People ship them engines from all over the world. They would be my first choice. They know how to fix cracks and what works and what does not work.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #34
Mike in AZ

hmmm....might check out the link, and if you've ever been to this get-together, it's pretty cool....should be some flatheads there and you can ask people who they might recommend for flathead work.....used to be early Ford parts store there, too....not sure whether it's still there....good luck.....and i hope you can keep the flathead in your car.....Mike

http://www.donutderelicts.com/aboutus.html

Last edited by Mike in AZ; 05-19-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: mistakes
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #35
sturgis 39

H and H has web site and they have been featured in several car magazines. They mass produce rebuilt old flat heads all day long.

They have a pretty red paint for the engines if you want bright red. I am sure they offer several colors but nothing says hot rod like louvers, banjo rear end and a red flat head. Unfortunately you do not have a banjo rear-end.

You will not be paying H and H for them to get on the learning curve.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #36
49r

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalamanca View Post
Hey guys, its been several months. Due to time and some money issues I had to put everything on pause.

So this is where I am
Any suggestions?
As it turned out I had a crack exactly like that in my first 8BA and only found out about it when the valve seat loosened and fell out. It was a very attention-grabbing sound. The valve seat bits embedded themselves in the piston and head. Don't run it like that.
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #37
rooboy

After seeing that mess .STRIP it..CLEAN it (at the very least) while the engine is out......Why do things twice..'cause that's what will happen..........
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote