Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #61
br9050

Default Re: Model A cross-country migration

I want to wish you guys the best! I bought my first A about 16 months ago and have enjoyed 6k mi in it. I was the same way , had never sat in one let alone drive one! I have always been told to carry extra points, condenser, etc. That must be the good luck charms because it has never left me sitting . The only thing that has ever happened was vapor lock in this summer's heat. Amazing how reliable these cars really are just doing the maintenance. Enjoy and I'll look at facebook for updates

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
br9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #62
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
………………. But if you hang an SMV emblem on a car going 40-55, you confuse people and create a dangerous situation!
If you have a vehicle with an SMV sign and you are travelling more than 25mph you must also have an SIS, (speed identification symbol), sign designating the maximum speed the piece of machinery is designed to operate

Link to SMV information. https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b3/b3/32/b...7130ac2515.jpg

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #63
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
If you have a vehicle with an SMV sign and you are travelling more than 25mph you must also have an SIS, (speed identification symbol), sign designating the maximum speed the piece of machinery is designed to operate

Link to SMV information. https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b3/b3/32/b...7130ac2515.jpg

That is for Ohio only. Each state has its own requirements.

Here is ours (Washington State)

http://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-21-160
Old 10-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #64
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
That is for Ohio only. Each state has its own requirements.

Here is ours (Washington State)

http://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-21-160
Dick, I looked at the Washington State web site and it does not address vehicles traveling at a speed greater than 25mph but slower than the speed limit. If you are aware of more information please advise.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #65
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
Dick, I looked at the Washington State web site and it does not address vehicles traveling at a speed greater than 25mph but slower than the speed limit. If you are aware of more information please advise.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.427

When driving cross country it can be a real challenge dealing with the differences in the laws of every state.

For example, I know that in Washington, you can only make a U turn when it is marked OK to do so. In California you can make a U turn at any intersection except where it is marked that you can not.

In Ohio, you will need the SIS you refer to. Maybe not in any other state?

I'm contemplating a road trip in my A from Bellingham to San Francisco. Even though I will be staying off the freeways and traveling only during the day, I will probably put a SMV emblem on my spare tire. It may be wrong in some states under some conditions, but it will make me feel a little safer. If I get a ticket and/or have to remove it...so be it.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #66
Synchro909

[QUOTE=Dick Steinkamp;1689029]http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425

When driving cross country it can be a real challenge dealing with the differences in the laws of every state.

Every time I have driven in the US, I'm confused by such law changes from stste to state - and the states are so small! It seems two or three times a day, I had a new set of rules. Why can't they standardise?
Then there's Police and Sherrifs. What is going on there???? They don't even use the same coloured flashing lights, though I think when I was there earlier this year, more were using the international standard red and blue.My ovderall impression - a very fragmented, disjointed system probably made worse by driving on the wrong side of the road.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #67
LarryinWA

Summer of 1961 my buddy and I drove my 29 std coupe from Los Angeles to Grand Rapids, Michigan via Yellowstone and the Badlands in 4 days, no tools and no extra parts!
The next Spring, after our first year of college, we did the return trip after a stop in St Louis, 53 hours non stop, again no tools and no extra parts. We were just dumb college kids having a ball. Still have the car too!!
LarryinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #68
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=Synchro909;1689033]
Quote:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425

Every time I have driven in the US, I'm confused by such law changes from stste to state - and the states are so small! It seems two or three times a day, I had a new set of rules. Why can't they standardise?
Then there's Police and Sherrifs. What is going on there???? They don't even use the same coloured flashing lights, though I think when I was there earlier this year, more were using the international standard red and blue.My ovderall impression - a very fragmented, disjointed system probably made worse by driving on the wrong side of the road.

Am guessing - probably same issues driving in Europe and the U.K. ? Or perhaps all the European countries have the same rules.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #69
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I would not do that with a Model A that You know nothing about. Most likely you will drive to fast and the engine won't last long. To do that you need a overdrive. Plus its the wrong time of the year to do that. You are making a big mistake doing that. I would trailer the car home and then drive it and check it out. You better think this out. What are you going to do when you break down?
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #70
amodel25

Wink Re: Model A cross-country migration

Then I guess we should keep our "A's at home in a glass case and haul them in an enclosed trailer........ Use the car for what it was intended. Get it out and drive it. I have driven my '31 Town Sedan over 30,000 miles without an overdrive. This includes several road trips including one to Lake Geneva via Manitoba, Canada. Have a safe trip and enjoy. Good luck.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #71
Dick Steinkamp

[QUOTE=30 Closed Cab PU;1689143]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post

Am guessing - probably same issues driving in Europe and the U.K. ? Or perhaps all the European countries have the same rules.
The UK is part of Europe, and is still part of the EU. My experience is that all members of the EU have the same traffic laws. I think the same for the states and territories in Australia and Canada. We like to make things more difficult (in a lot of ways) here in the US.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #72
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=Dick Steinkamp;1689206]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post

The UK is part of Europe, and is still part of the EU. My experience is that all members of the EU have the same traffic laws. I think the same for the states and territories in Australia and Canada. We like to make things more difficult (in a lot of ways) here in the US.
Asked, since U.S. and UK drive on opposite sides of the road, thought there may be other major differences. I believe most of the other countries in the EU drive on the right side of of the road? I also believe, not certain, that UK and U.S uses mph and most of the rest of the world use kph?

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 10-25-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Editing mistakes and for readibility.,
Old 10-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #73
Dick Steinkamp

[QUOTE=30 Closed Cab PU;1689214]
Quote:
Asked, since U.S. and UK drive on opposite sides of the road, thought there may be other major differences. I believe most of the other countries in the EU drive on the right side of of the road? I also believe, not certain, that UK and U.S uses mph and most of the rest of the world use kph?
Well, those are certainly major differences. There may be others too.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #74
30 Closed Cab PU

Just checked Facebook, they are on the road but have chosen route 20, which goes through Yellowstone. The Yellowstone site has route 20 closing on November 5th at 8 am for the winter. They should check locally at Idaho Falls for road conditions and which way to go, even if they get there before the 5th. There is a Pass on 26, and a Pass going east from Tetons/Yellowstone. Am not on Facebook, can someone post this info to them on Facebook for me?
Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #75
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Just checked Facebook, they are on the road but have chosen route 20, which goes through Yellowstone. The Yellowstone site has route 20 closing on November 5th at 8 am for the winter. They should check locally at Idaho Falls for road conditions and which way to go, even if they get there before the 5th. There is a Pass on 26, and a Pass going east from Tetons/Yellowstone. Am not on Facebook, can someone post this info to them on Facebook for me?
Done.

EDIT: The Rambling Matts thanked me for sharing 30 Closed Cab PU's info on FB.

I think I'm the only one responding to their FB posts. It would be great if several of us could follow and encourage them and be there for them if they run into problems or if we can give them some tips like CCPU has done. If you aren't registered on FB it takes about 30 seconds. You can delete your account once they make it safely back to Michigan if you are anti-FB.

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 10-25-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #76
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Done.

EDIT: The Rambling Macks thanked me for sharing 30 Closed Cab PU's info on FB.

I think I'm the only one responding to their FB posts. It would be great if several of us could follow and encourage them and be there for them if they run into problems or if we can give them some tips like CCPU has done. If you aren't registered on FB it takes about 30 seconds. You can delete your account once they make it safely back to Michigan if you are anti-FB.
Thanks Dick, did not know you can cancel a FB account, am definitely anti FB, do not trust them, am concerned about privacy/tracking/selling my data/etc. Not fond of Google for same reasons.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #77
SuperDave

Good Lord! rent a truck and trailer!
Old 10-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #78
Vonn Ditch

Sounds like to me you are ready to roll. I believe it's exactly the same distance from Oregon to Michigan as it was when that Model A was new. Pack some bologna and cheese, pork and beans, Vienna sausage, cold beer, 357 magnum and hit the trail. Gas, oil, and water the old girl up and she'll deliver you safe and sound.
Shit can the cell phone, throw your watch in the ditch, cram your pockets with cash, fire up a doobie and wave good-bye.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #79
figment

Trying to follow on face book but The Rambling Macks will not bring anything up . Have i got it right?
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #80
Hoovercw

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Trying to follow on face book but The Rambling Macks will not bring anything up . Have i got it right?
Rambling matts garage
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote