Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2018, 11:54 PM   #81
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Is a lightened flywheel overrated? (I think so)

Glad to see that the opinions still hold after 5 years.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:20 AM   #82
Y-Blockhead

Some of these old threads are confusing to read at times as they were written back when Ryan allowed people to remove their own post.

So some of the comments here are responses to posts that are no longer there...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:07 AM   #83
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Some of these old threads are confusing to read at times as they were written back when Ryan allowed people to remove their own post.

So some of the comments here are responses to posts that are no longer there...
Point taken, Y-B. I suggested that OP (another thread) read this as I think Brent made some excellent points. And ten years later continues to do so...

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:23 PM   #84
Jim Brierley

It depends on what you will be doing with, or how you drive your 'A'. If you are going to do any kind of racing, it would be stupid to not lighten your flywheel. For normal driving, do as you like.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:21 PM   #85
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
Also, if the original Turbo Encabulator article surfaces, I would like to send to some youngsters at work, just to see their reactions.........John
Old thread but, John, in case you didn't get a copy of the T-E, here it is again for posterity and young fokes that haven't seen it.

The Turbo-Encabulator in Industry.

For a number of years now, work has been proceeding to bring perfection to the crudely conceived idea of a machine that would not only supply inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters. Such a machine is the "turbo-encabulator." Basically, the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the medial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive directance.
The original machine had a base plate of prefabulated amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in direct line with the pentametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzelvanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-0-delta type placed in panendermic semiboiloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible tremie pipe to the differential gridlespring on the "up" end of the grammeters.
Forty-one manestically spaced grouting brushes were arranged to feed into the rotor slipstream a mixture of high S-value phenylhydrobenzamine and 5% remanative tetryliodohexamine. Both of these liquids have specific pericosities given by P=2.5Cn6.7 where n is the diathetical evolute of retrograde temperature phase disposition and C is Chlomondeley's annular grillage coefficient. Initially, n was measured with the aid of metaploar refractive pilfrometer (for a description of this ingenious instrument, see Reference 1), but up to the present, nothing has been found to equal the transcendental hopper dadoscope (2).
Electrical engineers will appreciate the difficulty of nubing together a regurgitative purwell and a supramitive wennelsprock. Indeed, this proved to be a stumbling block to further development until, in 1942, it was found that the use of anhydrous nangling pins enabled a kryptonastic boiling shim to the tankered.
The early attempts to construct a sufficiently robust spiral decommutator failed largely because of a lack of appreciation of the large quasi-piestic stresses in the gremlin studs; the latter were specially designed to hold the roffit bars to the spamshaft. When, however, it was discovered that wending could be prevented by a simple addition to the living sockets, almost perfect running was secured.
The operating point is maintained as near as possible to the h.f. rem peak by constantly fromaging the bitumogenous spandrels. This is a distinct advance on the standard nivel-sheave in that no dramcock oil is required after the phase detractors have been remissed.
Undoubtedly, the turbo-encabulator has now reached a very high level of technical development. It has been successfully used for operating nofer trunnions. In addition, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
References
1. Rumpelvestein, L.E., Z. Elektro-technistatisch-Donnerblitz vii.
2. Oriceddubg of the Peruvian Academy of Skatological Sciences, June 1914.
For more than 50 years the Arthur D. Little Industrial Bulletin has endeavored to interpret scientific information in terms that the lay person could understand. "The Turbo-encabulator in Industry" is the contribution of J.H. Quick, graduate member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers in London, England, and was first published in the Institution's Students' Quarterly Journal vol 15 no. 58 p. 22 in December 1944. Also published in The Washington Engineer 1949.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 11:38 AM   #86
ThosD

With a 60 lb flywheel, non synchronous transmission and a well worn model A, I find waiting for the engine rpm to drop so I can complete a double clutch upshift to be painfully long; slowing down, losing momentum and frustrating drivers following me. Things to do this year: engine rebuild, lightened flywheel and F150 3+ 1 trans.
I think the reason many on this forum do not see a need for a lighter FW is because the stock A engine does not rev very high during a typical drive to the ice cream parlor. By design, the heavy FW allows the 4 banger to idle around 500rpm or less (better for shifting the non synchro trans) and it stores energy to keep the engine and car moving in slow and loaded conditions. The A's 200 cubic inch engine design is typical for engines built in the 20s and 30s. My A's stable mate is a 2 liter sports car that red lines above 8k rpm. I installed a lightened fly wheel in the small car and noticed the engine responding quicker to changes in throttle. Rev matched, double clutched downshifts are a breeze. The down side is that 1st gear starts require a little more finesse in coordinating gas application and clutch release. The high strung little engine would stall if I set the idle at 500 rpm.

Last edited by ThosD; 10-18-2023 at 11:55 AM.
ThosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 02:48 PM   #87
Jim Brierley

Some of you now have spinning heads, mine just HURTS!!!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 09:36 PM   #88
Dodge

Lightened flywheel to offset the couterweighted crank.

And to each his own, its like in the Model T World cast iron piston motors lug down better
and aluminum piston motors rev quicker.

It depends on how your going to drive it.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:01 AM   #89
Ian Crawford

I can't seehow a lighter flywheel will have any effect on the main bearings. If you take that the flywheel weight is about 63lbs and that on an original engine with a 4.2 c/r the cylinder pressure is about 75PSI. The stock bore is 3.875 so the piston area is 11.80 sq/in which would give us a force of about 884lbs directly on the closest main bearings. That is without the engine even firing. I really don't see that if the flywheel weight is 38lbs or 63lbs would make any noticeable difference. The ballance of the flywheel/clutch assy. will however have a dramatic effect as the out of ballance effect increases by its speed (RPM).
Ian Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote