Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
vrcjr40

Default 1940 Ford deluxe help with a speaker grill problem

Evening every one,
Been sometime since my last post on the forum. Have been restoring a 1940 Ford Deluxe Tudor for a few years now, and have just run into a problem that I am hoping some of you may have encountered before, maybe some one can lend some thoughts. As dumb as this might sound I am finishing up the dash and am running into an issue fitting the new Drake speaker grill. The problem is it doesn't seem to fit. The pins don't seem to line up well enough for me to insert the grill. This is the second grill I have tried and both grills just won't drop in. Has anyone had this issue before and if so what was your solution. Modify the dash or the grill? Not thinking I should have to do that but at this point Im a bit lost. Any help with this problem would truly be appreciated.
vrcjr40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 1940 Ford deluxe help with a speaker grill problem

I seem to remember that the grille fits pretty tightly on the 2 vertical side openings of the hole. If no bodywork has been done to the dash, I would carefully file the flat vertical side parts of the grille that are not seen. On mine, I had originals chrome plated and the copper + chrome made it tight. I don't think you can put it in upside down so keep working at it. I think I put the bottom part into the hole first and tilted the top in. The holes won't line up with the pins until the piece is clear into the hole and straight, not tilted. Good luck.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
Terry,OH

There are two slightly different speaker grills, one is early. One of the difference is the location of the mounting pins. If you have your old grill, that fits, check it out.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 09-21-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
vrcjr40

Thank you gentlemen,
I agree with Deuce in that the grill does fit tight or snug but this one just won't go. Hey Deuce, actually the top of the grill slips in first then it should drop in at the bottom, but Im having no luck with this one. I can only think that these grills are just slightly out of spec, thats why I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I know the re crome can make them tight and any dash repairs could also affect the fit, but that is not the case in this situation. Is there actually an early or late model type grill as Terry mentioned? That could be a possibility I suppose. But the difference would have to be so slight you couldn't notice by looking at it. As I said in the original post, This one has me stumped. Still hoping someone has had this problem.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
Gumpy

Reproduction parts often do not fit sometimes,,I would try a straight original part first,,maybe from a swap meet then go from there..
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
19Fordy

What company made your grille?
I bought mine from DRAKE many years ago and it fit fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40interior.jpg (74.9 KB, 22 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
TJ

I also have Drake speaker grille in my car ('40) and it fit fine.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #8
deuce_roadster

Well, as stated, Repro parts almost never fit well. Could be you got a blem. If none of the Drake speaker grilles fit I think we would have heard here that it was a major problem. I hadn't heard that an early version was different (does your dash have the early ash trays?). If you still have the original one that came in that dash compare the 2.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
vrcjr40

Car has the early ash tray design, push in and up. most probably the last of its kind, car was off the line aprox Dec 22, 39. Funny thing is that the original speaker grill (Ford) only has 4 locating pins not the typical 6. Also it appears that sometime in the past someone else had an issue with the grill as the top section that slips under the dash is all hacked up. But that part doesn't actually affect the fit. And yes I do agree that the repro parts are horrible, can't tell you how many fitting issues Ive had during this restore. Ive had to fall back a lot on the original parts and refinishing them for reuse. That is why I was wondering if anyone has seen this particular issue before. Ive looked at it ten ways from Sunday and it just doesn't make sense. Its off just enough to not fit into the dash. The last thing I want to do is alter the dash, the grill I could live with I suppose.. I did also find another original Ford grill on the Bay the other day and I did purchase it. So i guess we will see if it lines up and drops in. Luckily its not in very bad shape and I can get it polished out well enough to use it,(if it fits).
Old 09-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
19Fordy

I may be wrong but, I bet the plating process causes the pot metal grille's curvature to change slightly? I recall that happening on Drake's 40 curved DeLuxe hood nose piece when I purchased it. The curve was too tight and the piece would not fit the hood like the original did. I carefully ground the inside radius larger to make it fit. That was 40 years ago. I think the way a piece is prepared for plating makes a difference with pot metal due to the variances in contents of pot metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my 40 front.jpg (84.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #11
vrcjr40

19Fordy, and that right there was one of my thoughts. It distorts the metal just enough that the locating pins don't give enough wiggle room to drop the grill in. Ive also noticed that the Drake grill has 3 very small tabs where the bottom flange of the grill slips into the dash and it seems that all three tabs stop the grill from falling into the cut out in the dash. Bad part is that the tabs are so close and tight along the grill flange that grinding them out is not going to be easy without possibly damaging the grill or discoloring it. they are also to tight to try and file. This is why I was hoping someone else had experienced this issue and what their solution had been. Since the dash has already been painted all of this is a bit nerve racking. Of course now thinking about this I should have pre fit before painting but this just wasn't something I conceived I might run into.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #12
19Fordy

If you have the patience of a toothache, a good Dremel tool, a vise with pads and a very steady hand, I bet you can make it fit. Funny thing is, DRAKE made a mistake and sent me 2 radio grilles, I gave the extra one to my friend for his 40 Standard. We are talking many years ago. You will prevail.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
vrcjr40

Well the patience part isn't an issue, so far I have managed to replace every staple, body nail and clip in the exact locations from where they were removed. Yes, ALL the window felt staples, wind lace nails, interior nails and staples. So a few hours to custom fit the speaker grill isn't a problem. It just kind of seems a shame that something as simple as the speaker grill would be so problematic. just gotta love some of the modern production quality.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #14
Kube

Early instrument panels had a total of four holes for fitting the speaker grille. later had six.

How did you determine this: "Car has the early ash tray design, push in and up. most probably the last of its kind, car was off the line aprox Dec 22, 39."
Old 09-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #15
Dave Castle

Seriously? Drake's products are crap, of course it does not fit !
Old 09-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
19Fordy

Thanks MIke, for that speaker grille mounting pin info. Just checked. My DRAKE speaker grille has 4 mounting pins to match the 4 holes in the dash. Also, the window bugs are dated as being made in 12 39 and the ashtrays "push in and up". As a side note, I found that the parts DRAKE made way back when he started in Canoga Park, CA in the 1970's fit good.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:17 AM   #17
vrcjr40

Kube, that date is only an approximate and definitely not set in stone. Two and a half years ago when I first started the restoration I researched the serial # of the car. I was able to identify the serial # prior and after this one. If I remember correctly I somehow found a serial number listing that placed the number somewhere in December just prior to Christmas, I will have to pull my notes to check and see who all I spoke to back then to try and sure up the build time of the car, but I thought I was able to come pretty close based on the info I found. Of interest regarding the grill my original speaker grill has the 4 mounting pins however the dash is drilled for six. Although possible, I haven't found any evidence that would lead me to believe that anyone has ever changed the dash in the car.