Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Repop Dust Rings...

The "dust rings" are those wire rings that go between the front brake lever and the front brake shaft housing assembly/rear brake camshaft lever and rear backing plate to keep the dust and dirt out of the bushing areas on the two assemblies.

When assembling the rear brake camshaft lever to the rear brake camshaft (with no dust ring), I can get the pin into the hole to assemble the lever to the camshaft.

HOWEVER when I put the ring on first, as it should be, there is no way to put the pin in because of the thickness of the dust ring taking up that needed space.

The repop "dust rings" are split to get expansion of the ring itself as they set themselves on the beveled end of the two levers mentioned above when assembled.

HOWEVER...This now presents a problem as there is now a gap between the two ends of the dust rings to make them not serve the original purpose of the ring itself...keeping dust and dirt out of the bushing areas. (Of coarce once these areas are filled with grease it will somewhat prevent that problem).

So, either these repop dust rings are not formed to specs or they are formed to specs and originaly there was a gap between the two ends themselves when assembled.

Have any of you experenced this and if so, are you living with the "gap" or is there a repop company out there that makes and sells the correct rings to prevent the "gap" syndrom?

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
daren007

Default Re: Repop Dust Rings...

My aftermarket dust rings are in the drawer. I reused the old worn out ones.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
bobbader

Steve,

You didn't mention if the roller track housings and camshafts are new repos or original parts. I have done many brake system rebuilds and have never has an issue with the size of new dust rings or the way they spring apart at their mating ends. (Note that the front brake rings are thicker than those for the rear brakes. That's number one.) If you are using new roller track housings and camshafts, there may be an issue in that the large "ball" end of the camshaft may not bottom out into the roller track housing as much as in an original housing. This will cause a binding problem if the dust ring is inserted or the inability to even insert the pin as you indicate. If this is the case, PM me and we'll talk further.

Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Bob,

I just spent some time examining my fronts and sure enough...I was trying to put dust rings that should go on the front...on the back...I just had to think about it over night and sure enough.

I rummaged through my stash of parts and found some rear backing plates with the thinner dust rings on them so I swapped them out (the repros) and now I am on the right track.

I replaced the parts with the bushings in them and compaired the originals with the repros and the repros seem to be slightly longer on the outer measurements than the originals by about 1/16 of an inch or so. HOWEVER using original "every thing else".

Looking back on this part of the brake restoration...should of kept the original set-up...we will see.

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
bobbader

Gotcha
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote