Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
HCO41

Default Truck vs Merc. parts 8ba to early

Starting to put together parts needed to put an 8ba style engine into my '37, to replace the 60hp. Have truck cast iron clutch cover. Have V8Bob's and Moe's PDF but would like part numbers for 48-52 truck pan and starter plate (indented) and PN for 49-early 51 Merc. pan and flat starter plate. Can I mix and match these parts including the bracket(s), (need PNs), that tie clutch cover/starter plate to the pan?
Are any of these combinations preferred for this conversion. I tend to like the 49-e51 parts if they would work with the cast iron truck clutch cover. I assume any combination requires the special Mercury oil pickup.
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
42merc

Default Re: Truck vs Merc. parts 8ba to early

The parts you mentioned can be mixed.
The 50 Merc Pan is a better fit than the truck pan. The drag link tends to rub on the truck pan, but can massaged to fit.
The Merc pan requires the Merc oil pickup tube.
Pretty straight forward, use the '37 to '41 exhaust manifolds, the 8RT truck water pumps, wide belt lower pulley & generator pulley to match.
Also you will need a truck 8RT flywheel for the 10" clutch to match your throw out bearing.
One more thing, a '49-'51 Merc flywheel & clutch will work with the large throw out bearing, but you must use the flat starter plate.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
HCO41

Thanks 42Merc, That last sentence is the stuff that's hard to get from the general info on this conversion. Seems I've heard truck flywheel is heavier than car so I'll look for the Merc. flywheel and flat starter plate with bracket. Who knows an 8cm might pop up.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
19Fordy

The part # for the 49-51 Merc oil pan is 8CM 6675-C. This pan has the stud reinforcement on the bottom of the pan. Part # 1CM 6675 is for the 1951 Merc and does not have the stud reinforcement on the bottom of the pan. The part # for the 49-51 Merc pressed steel bell housing is 8CM 6392. The matching 49-51 Merc starter plate is part # 8CM 6366-C. I was always told that you needed the matching starter plate that goes with the bellhousing. I don't know if the 8BA starter plates will work with the Merc bell housings. Might be worth finding out.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
HCO41

Thanks 19FORDY, I hope the flat plate will work with the truck cast clutch housing. The guy I got the part from also had the pressed steel one from the Mercury, same price, I chose the cast iron. I'll get in touch with him to see if he still has it, if I need it, and if he may have the flat starter plate.
I used to hang out in junkyards when I was supposed to be in school. If we saw parts like this laying around we'd throw them on the steel heap. Little did we know!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Below is the link to V8BOB and MOEFUZ's famous an priceless compilation and ID of flathead bells and starter plates. When it downloads, put your cursor on the ? (question marks) to ID each number. DD

http://www.flatheadv8.org/bellhousing.pdf

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
42merc

8RT & 8CM bell housings One is cast iron, one is stamped steel either one will work with a
Flat starter plate or an indented starter plate. An 8BA plate WILL NOT WORK for this application. A mercury flywheel will rub the indented plate.
Don't worry about the lower three bolt bracket that ties the plate to the pan, they will mix & match.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
HCO41

Thanks to all. V8COOPMAN, when I first printed out the PDF, I also printed descriptions behind ?s, glued the description to the appropriate picture and put all into binder. The PDF is invaluable, but the PNs are not included, just description. (I only have "Green book to '48 (cars), '47 (trucks)). I would need later truck and Mercury parts manuals to look up these PNs. Got enough info. from above to start looking for the right parts.
My clutch cover doesn't have "cup" to cover end of starter. Looked on eb.y and Barn swap and found nothing. I assume this part is pressed in, is there a PN for it?