Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

Default Thermostat?

Is the majority using 160 or 180?
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
Fordfan29

Default Re: Thermostat?

I run a 160. I rebuilt the radiator several years ago and had more fins per inch than stock. I was the only car of five that did not overheat on a three week trip to Calgary. I went with the 160 so if the car started to heat I had a 20 degree cushion. It also should put less heat in to the interior.
Fordfan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
WHN

Old retired men sometimes open their mouth when they shouldn’t, so here we go.

Model A’s don’t need thermostats. They were not designed for a thermostat.

They use a syphon driven cooling system. The water pump is mounted at the out flow unlike newer cars. The water pump really only helps cooling at higher speeds. Up until the late 50’s, thermostats would be removed by many newer car owners in the summer months to increase flow of coolant.

Thermostats used in a Model A, that are installed without a by pass, could create a problem with your water pump.

Potential for oil flash on cylinder walls and hot spots with boiling.

The higher you are above sea level, the more likely you could see a problem with boiling.

Even a 160 degree thermostat might not be fully open until coolant reaches +180 degrees.

Google “Rocky Mountain Model A Club Cooling System Seminar ” good info.

Sorry if my comments offend anyone. I feel very strongly on a couple of things that have to do with these cars and a thermostat is one of them. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post

They use a syphon driven cooling system. The water pump is mounted at the out flow unlike newer cars. The water pump really only helps cooling at higher speeds. Up until the late 50’s, thermostats would be removed by many newer car owners in the summer months to increase flow of coolant.

Thermostats used in a Model A, that are installed without a by pass, could create a problem with your water pump.

The higher you are above sea level, the more likely you could see a problem with boiling.

Even a 160 degree thermostat might not be fully open until coolant reaches +180 degrees.

Sorry if my comments offend anyone. I feel very strongly on a couple of things that have to do with these cars and a thermostat is one of them. Enjoy.
Good information.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
woofa.express

Quote:

hey old timer. don't be afraid to speak. that's how young blokes learn and that's even how old blokes ( like me) also learn.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #6
Synchro909

I have cars with one or the other in them. The 160 T/stat runs at about 145 deg and the 180 at about 175. With no T/stat, I think they runn too cool, especially at this time of year (winter).
With any T/stat, as the motor warms up, the water in the block passes the T/stat rated temp. Water beeding through the holes in the T/stat allows the warm water to reach it and causes it to open. Once it stats to open, the Gauge reads high as the warm water in the block passes the sensor till there is a surge of cooler water through the engine and the temp gauge drops again. The gauge moves up and down with decreasing amplitude as the T/sat opens and closes a little till it settles on the engine's "happy" temp. A long pull up a hill will give a higher eading for a while but it will settle again quickly to a point where the T/stat is partly open, allowing enough water through to maintain the "happy" temp. The point is that with both, the T/sat is only partly open most of the time and it doesn't take many more degrees for it to open enough more to allow more water through and hence maintain the engine at its (the T/stat's) designed temperature.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
DHZIEMAN

Quote:

As a kid, my dad, a mechanic for many years, drove a Model A Ford, and in the Chicago winters, he drove it and it had no thermostat. The engine when ready pulled the car just fine. I don't know about all the techie stuff you are talking about but, it the car was designed not to have a thermostat, did not come with a thermostat, and that is good enough for me. My current Model A does not have one, it will not get one and the car runs and idles just fine all year long. I may be one of the lucky ones but, I have had thermostats go bad in modern vehicles and just don't see the need if the old girl is doing fine without one!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #8
daren007

My A would not warm up in cold weather without one.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

I bought BOTH & had a choice, depending on the Season.
Bill Warm
Old 08-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
slammin

The debate rages on! Its a fact that better combustion happens at higher temps. With temperatures below 75 degrees, my 29 never got over 145. I installed a Vintage Precision housing and 160 degree thermostat. Even with summer temps in the mid 90s, my gauge never exceeds 175. Granted, these are 30 min. trips, not climbing into the surrounding mountains. IIRC by the mid 30s Fords had thermostats from the factory. I've heard the argument "Henry didn't put thermostats in the Model A." He also filled the crankcase with 30 weight non-detergent oil.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #11
Big hammer

I’am running 160* stat and when I’ve checked the temperature with pocket gauge, its been about 175*, never over 180*. I don’t drive it alot or start much, so it warms up quickly and burns off condensation sooner :-)
Old 08-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
Curtis in MA

I use a 160. I do mostly short drives and want it to heat up fast to burn off junk.
180 was to close to the boiling point.
Curtis in MA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #13

I guess most use a 160, that's what I have now, I was just wondering if I should change to a 180, but since most have the 160, I wont change it.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

The ONLY time you DON'T need a thermostat, is if you have a crummy Old Radiator that quickly warms up, on its' OWN!
Remember, the engine is a water HEATER, the radiator is a water COOLER & a thermostat is needed, to co-ordinate the workings of the two systems!
Hope that is SIMPLE enough to be understood!

Early thermostats were prone to failures, that why Henry didn't use them, until some design upgrades made them somewhat MORE RELIABLE. He should have left a NOTE about it, on his Office Wall!
Bill Simple
Old 08-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #15
chap52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
The ONLY time you DON'T need a thermostat, is if you have a crummy Old Radiator that quickly warms up, on its' OWN!
Remember, the engine is a water HEATER, the radiator is a water COOLER & a thermostat is needed, to co-ordinate the workings of the two systems!
Hope that is SIMPLE enough to be understood!

Early thermostats were prone to failures, that why Henry didn't use them, until some design upgrades made them somewhat MORE RELIABLE. He should have left a NOTE about it, on his Office Wall!
Bill Simple
Com-on Bill that's too logical...LOL
Thermostats, oil weight and 6-12 volts are like kids, some work, some don't. it's still up to the individual if they use (hire) them or not.Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #16
Purdy Swoft

I've never used a thermostat in a model A and have no plans of ever doing so .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #17
MALAK

I run a 180 deg. It should be noted that I live in SoCal where July/Aug temps are frequently triple digits.

I drove the car the other day and it was 110 outside and my water temp, when driving, was about 190 and crept up to about 200 when idling. With 50/50 antifreeze there was never a problem. I do have a good radiator

I use the vintage precision thermostat housing and really like it.

http://vintageprecision.com/products...ing/index.html

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #18
Al 29Tudor

Here is some scientific information that may help you decide if you will use a thermostat or not. Pages 10, 11 and 12 give some info on heat transfer and page 36 explains how coolant move in engines designed to use thermostat and those not designed for thermostats.
Great presentation.

file:///C:/Users/Test%20User/Documen...tion_Final.pdf
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al 29Tudor View Post
Here is some scientific information that may help you decide if you will use a thermostat or not. Pages 10, 11 and 12 give some info on heat transfer and page 36 explains how coolant move in engines designed to use thermostat and those not designed for thermostats.
Great presentation.

file:///C:/Users/Test%20User/Documen...tion_Final.pdf
Cant open the file, was interested in what is written.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
Cant open the file, was interested in what is written.
Ditto.