Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
1959apache

Default 1924 Model T Speedster

Hey there! I am new to FordBarn, but have been part of the HAMB for about 4 years now! I thought I would post this on here because I am going to need some wisdom on some of this stuff since it is new to me. I am posting this on here for everyone to get caught up on what is going on (only like one post so far, so you haven't missed much).

Well, first off, I have a ton of projects. This one kind of has been thrown in my lap, but I look forward to it!

My parents are moving from Seattle to Miami and bringing the 1924 Model T back and they are wanting for me to work my magic on it and make it reliable mechanically and something that they can tinker with and drive around Miami for car shows. It will take some of my room in the garage, but it will be easy to fix up!

Here is a picture:

Some history on this car:

My grandpa, who was in World War I, a man who still used wax in his mustache and looked like he was still from the 20's, owned this car. He passed away from spinal, throat, and brain cancer in the 90's from consuming huge amounts of Sweet 'N Low in his coffee. He raced the hell out of this thing. After he passed my grandma got a lowball offer from some junk peddler in her little town. She was only going to get 400 bucks for the vehicle as it sat in way better shape 15 years ago. My dad said hell no and we took a road trip from Indy to Arizona to go get it. We got it home changed the oil and gas and she ran like she never skipped a beat. The T then slumbered in our garage for another 7 years until my dad wanted to move it to Seattle.
I has been running up in Tacoma on random sunny days, which they don't get up there. My dad got a bid to work from Miami and took it, but the sea air took its toll on the patina on he engine and other components, including flaking the paint.

This T was built long ago and has been on MANY endurance runs and races with him, winning various places. The testimate that this is true is that it has plaquards all over the dash of places it won. This is a REAL speedster that has raced all over the country. It has been featured on Across Indiana, Episode 1107 and was pretty much star of the show in 2000.

When we originally got it we were in a Model T club based out of Indy, I will not mention the name, but it was a miserable experience for us. Veterans of the club were incredibly upset because our ACTUAL Speedster/race car got way more publicity than it should (but really it deserved every second because it was much nicer than other club rides). They were so chapped about it that they forced our hand into quitting the club months after joining. We were not looking for the spotlight, but the camera loved her. I will try to contact Across Indiana to see if I can get a hold of the episode. I had it on tape at one point, but cannot find it to save my life.

The Plans:

Redo the wood floors, reupholster the seats, polish all brass, clean up the engine (engine has been hopped up a bit), clean up the wire wheels, probably have them powder coated or painted, new tires/tubes, fix the brakes, get the wiring sorted out, possibly repaint, add
my touches to it, possibly lower it a bit (sits really really high, and I am kind of short, so it is a struggle getting into the passenger bucket over the exhaust that runs the span of the car on the passenger side (3" exhaust). My Dad wants it to be fenderless, but I think that ruins the look and I am refusing to do this. Since the paint is finally flaking I will look into painting it too...

Stay tuned! Number 88 will fly again!!!
1959apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
1959apache

Default Re: 1924 Model T Speedster

It arrived about a week ago on 7/23/13. Most of the dash plaques are in the trunk on the back since they are magnetic and are starting to lose their magnetism (Dad was smart enough to put them in the trunk so they wouldn't get lost!)

Yeah, she needs a bit a of work, but I will keep it as close as possible. I will rechrome what needs to be rechromed, fix the cracks, fix the exhaust, clean everything up, maybe run some new tail lights (running trailer lights right now), new rubber (tires and tubes), reupholster it, I need to rewire it, clean out the gas tank, etc. Most of the dash decals are in the trunk on the back.

Here it is:

Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
1959apache

Well I pulled the battery since it has a hard time keeping a charge and found that it is a 5 year battery that was made in '08. It looks like I will be picking one up shortly for it and running new cables to the firewall voltage regulator, etc. The 1 gauge wiring for the battery has been chaffing for a long time, so it needs a refresh since it has rubbed through a bit in a couple places. I will take some shots of the underside and post when I have the time.
Does anyone have any info on getting something that looks stock for these cables? Right now they look like they maybe cloth wrapped over the regular coating. I am looking for something similar.. I would like to keep it looking stock/older, not some bright and shiny new cable.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
1959apache

Where is everyone getting their:

1. Tires/tubes from? I am going to be joining the HAMB alliance, but they only deal with Coker, from what I saw.

2. Rocky Mtn. brakes from? I read that they have the Rocky Mtn Brake Co. in Temecula, do they have a website or catalog?

3. Wiring, cloth wrapped or authentic looking?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
dlshady

Great looking speedster!

In regards to a couple of your questions, we've used Narragansett Reproductions for years as a source for vintage wiring stuff. Good people and they know their business.

http://www.narragansettreproductions...g-harness.html

I bought a reproduction 48 Chevrolet wiring harness from a company out of southern California a few years ago and it was very nice as well, but I can't remember their name right now. As I recall, they also sold cloth wrapped wire by the foot and other vintage wiring parts.

As for tires, I think you'll have a hard time finding anybody that'll treat you better than Coker. Top notch guys.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
1959apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlshady View Post
Great looking speedster!

In regards to a couple of your questions, we've used Narragansett Reproductions for years as a source for vintage wiring stuff. Good people and they know their business.

http://www.narragansettreproductions...g-harness.html

I bought a reproduction 48 Chevrolet wiring harness from a company out of southern California a few years ago and it was very nice as well, but I can't remember their name right now. As I recall, they also sold cloth wrapped wire by the foot and other vintage wiring parts.

As for tires, I think you'll have a hard time finding anybody that'll treat you better than Coker. Top notch guys.
Thanks! I had a feeling that Coker was who I needed to go with.

As far as the cloth wrapped wire goes, do you think that anyone sells like a plastic/pvc coated wire with the cloth over the top for looks?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959apache View Post
Thanks! I had a feeling that Coker was who I needed to go with.

As far as the cloth wrapped wire goes, do you think that anyone sells like a plastic/pvc coated wire with the cloth over the top for looks?

Truthfully, that's probably the only thing any of these guys will sell these days due to the liability factor. Check out the Narragansett website and it'll show you what their products are like. Good quality stuff.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
john hamilton

That's an excellent speedster. All of the good parts are there - just needs a little Simonize!

I'm kind of an under-the-hood type of guy. Other than headers is it a twin cam Fronty or what? I'll bet it is great fun and a real race car with family race history.
john hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
yachtsmanbill

I like it as is... AND I want that gas cap!! ws

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 07-29-2013 at 09:28 PM.
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote