Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
firerod

Default Paint advise

I am going to paint my roadster and looking for paint advice. I bought TCP acrylic lacquer in Andalusite Blue and painted the dash. This was my first time with lacquer and it seems like it wont be very durable. I am now thinking of using acrylic enamel instead, I would like to stay away from urethane. Any advice on paint types or brands would be appreciated.
firerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Paint advise

Single stage urethane is similar to acrylic lacquer in the way it can be rubbed and buffed to achieve a finish to ones satisfaction. But it is miles ahead in durability with less maintenance.
Enamel to me falls into the same durability category as lacquer.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

I painted a few vehicles with DuPont acrylic enamel . Still have my 40 that was painted 24 years ago and my brothers 57 Chevy 20 years ago. Both still look great. The last two cars I've painted was with acrylic urethane. I personally don't care for it. It's not as forgiving as the enamel and its difficult to blend with existing paint if the need ever comes. Laquer would be my last choice because of durability.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
flathead48

If you use enamel I would use a hardener in it, just make sure you have a good breathing system or respirator . I have used all of them and prefer base coat clear coat. But these cars are not subject to harsh weather so any choice but lacquer will work fine and hold up.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
chap52

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I used TCP Urethane Enamel in Ivory on my truck about three years ago. It was my first paint job and it the adventure went easier than I thought it would. I did it in my garage.

We are blessed with an electronic "how to's. I found that You Tube was full of how to's videos on everything from creating a spray booth in my garage to prep, sanding, applying the paints. Because I am a "visual" guy it really helped me understand what I was trying to accomplish.

The secret is prep, prep, prep... TCP has a great "Grease and Wax Remover". Just before you are ready to spray wipe it all down with this stuff. Use the hardener that comes with the paint. Get it primed (Used TCP product also) and then skim coat sand. (You Tube). My son, who is a custom car fabricator advised me to thin the paint to the consistency of milk and to sand with 900 grit between coats.

I was very pleased with TCP products and how it all turned out. Using both their "Primer" and "Paint" assured me that they would be compatable.Incidentally that Wax and Grease remover is awesome for wiping down my trucks engine when I detail it.

Polished it out with "Meguiars Mirror #105 Glaze, Ultra Cut Compound with a DA Buffer (Harbor Freight)to smooth it out then then finished it off with three good coats of quality wax.

Meguiars has a "how to" online. I had to watch several videos before I felt ready to take on the actual painting. Glad I did.

Enjoy the adventure, Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote