Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #1
rockfla

Default Finally got it home

Welcome home to the latest "project" IF you will. 1941 Ford GP and will hopefully get some help as I need to sort out coil/distributor issues. Most are not familiar with the "GP" as it is actually still considered a "proto-type" and Ford raided the parts bins to put these together. In basic terms.....It used a Ford 9N tractor motor BUT a "VERY" different carburetor and distributor/distributor drive system. There is 39 Ford items, 40 Ford items (most notably the dash) so it's quite an interesting vehicle from that stand point. Hope you can enjoy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OurGP3.jpg (45.2 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg OurGP5.jpg (53.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg OurGP6.jpg (46.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg OurGP7.jpg (23.9 KB, 116 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: Finally got it home

Looks like a fun project, congrats, btw I miss my 8N, sold it a couple of years ago now I keep finding projects I could use it for.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Ford used the same basic engine for the 9N, 2N, & early 8N tractors so there are a lot of parts available for them. Quality of the ignition parts like the coil is unknown to me since I own a later model Ford tractor but there are a lot of them still brush cutting here in south Texas. The 2N tractors used a magneto so their ignition is different but many were converted. Later 8N tractors went to a late type ignition system so they are also different in that respect.

From what I understand, Ford made just over 4,000 units before the standardization to the Willys design drive train so there should be more than just a few parts available with some exceptions.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Welcome home to the latest "project" IF you will. 1941 Ford GP

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Ford used the same basic engine for the 9N, 2N, & early 8N tractors so there are a lot of parts available for them. Quality of the ignition parts like the coil is unknown to me since I own a later model Ford tractor but there are a lot of them still brush cutting here in south Texas. The 2N tractors used a magneto so their ignition is different but many were converted. Later 8N tractors went to a late type ignition system so they are also different in that respect.

From what I understand, Ford made just over 4,000 units before the standardization to the Willys design drive train so there should be more than just a few parts available with some exceptions.
OH contraire my friend.......Had my Dad not been buying and collecting parts over the last 30 or so years......Today the restoration of one of these (IF NOT COMPLETE AT TIME OF PURCHASE) would all but be Impossible.......OR at best damn near cost prohibitive.........IF you can find a few of the "most" essential parts you can have $12,000 tied up in just three of the most essential part to make it run and that's IF (And I can't stress how big of a "IF" it is) you can even find them!!! EVEN the distributor drive gears, I tried 4 different companies (and that was 4 companies specializing in making gears) here in the USA and not one would touch making me ANY!!! NONE!!!! Even IF I had them make a "Run of them". SO it's NOT like a GPW/MB.....VERY far from it!!!!! Current "BEST" estimates are approx 280ish left or known accounted for........NOT all of those are running driving. AND actually it is one more AS we have another one which isn't on that list that was "Close" to a basket case BUT was useful for "some" extra parts for this one!!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 02-24-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
rotorwrench

I was referring more to the engine than the the chassis itself but I can see where the chassis stuff may be a problem. With Ford products, it may help to know more about other products that Ford produced that may cross over. Ford put the 9N engines in the 1941 Ford pickups but they didn't sell well so they quickly disappeared from the line up.

My question is how close to the 9N tractor is the ignition system since that is your current project? The 9N tractors had the special front mount distributor in similar fashion to the early V8 cars. I get some of my tractor stuff from Just 8Ns.
https://www.just8ns.com/Distributor-..._c_46-3-3.html

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-24-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #7
alanwoodieman

I have had two 41 pick ups with the 4 cylinder engines, know of one in an army generator and another put into a model a strip down. they had mounts/cam shafts for a fuel pump, distributors are tractor engine, carbs had a different air cleaner internally they are 1/2 of a 239 V8
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #8
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I was referring more to the engine than the the chassis itself but I can see where the chassis stuff may be a problem. With Ford products, it may help to know mor about other products that Ford produced that may cross over. Ford put the 9N engines in the 1941 Ford pickups but they didn't sell well so they quickly disappeared from the line up.

My question is how close to the 9N tractor is the ignition system since that is your current project? The 9N tractors had the special front mount distributor in similar fashion to the early V8 cars. I get some of my tractor stuff from Just 8Ns.
https://www.just8ns.com/Distributor-..._c_46-3-3.html
Rotorwrench
Here is the 'brakedown" of the distributor and the angle drive that it attaches too!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (52.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Image (2).jpg (26.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #9
DavidG

Robert,

Shades of Claire Chennault and the AVG!
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Robert,

Shades of Claire Chennault and the AVG!
Thanks David
You nailed it......AS many pictures of GP's are from that exact theater of service!!! AND where the template came from for ours!!!!
Old 02-24-2021, 04:58 PM   #11
jimTN

Great toy. I bought one out of a junk yard in the 60's because it had a lot of std Ford parts. That carb. and ignition are two of the hardest things to find. I sold mine four years ago to a collector in Idaho. They are neat vehicles.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #12
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Great toy. I bought one out of a junk yard in the 60's because it had a lot of std Ford parts. That carb. and ignition are two of the hardest things to find. I sold mine four years ago to a collector in Idaho. They are neat vehicles.
You are correct JimTN, we found an original carb for it about a year ago $7000 was the asking price!!!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #13
rotorwrench

That distributor is definitely not like the tractor.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #14
rockfla

Rotorwrench
Here is another picture of the distributor and extension housing for the GP!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 368461BC-1F15-4F3C-AC1F-C8F27213DE88.jpg (41.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-24-2021, 11:25 PM   #15
Tinker

Looks like you could possibly run a modified crab if one was inclined to do so. Or not.

Cool rig.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote