Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
mike657894

Default Im going to be buying some tubes and tires. good tubes? bad tubes?

I'm going to be getting some new tubes. I did some looking. Summit has coker tubes for 16. Macs has a $97 5 tube and band kit. Snyders has some for 18.50. If its the matter of $20 I would like to get the good ones. Right now Im thinking the coker is the only one advertising a brand name to the tube. The others are a bit of a mystery. Heres some links. What would you go with?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...iABEgJH1vD_BwE

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P.../model-a/tires

Last edited by mike657894; 11-01-2019 at 09:00 AM.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Im going to be buying some tubes and tires. good tubes? bad tubes?

I found and used Farm and Fleet implement tubes from Tractor Supply, think Farm and Fleet has them too. They are pretty thick/heavy. Only down side is I found that after I had tires mounted the valve stems are pretty long. It was too l ate to change, already mounted, I tell people I use them a as curb feelers There was quite a cost saving compared to Coker's. And as an FYI my wheels are 16s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tire-tube.jpg (56.1 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 11-01-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added Picture
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
160B

In March of 2018 I was looking for tubes, I found one vendor’s tubes had the valve stem off center. I felt this would stress the tube and ended up getting tubes from Berts see the below photos.

Tubes with valve stem off center

P1010554 (2).jpg

P1010555 (2).jpg

Tubes with valve stem on center
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09626 (2).jpg (28.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09627 (2).jpg (27.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09628 (2).jpg (23.8 KB, 12 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
fastroadster

Biggest problem I've had was tubes splitting on seams......
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

The ones I used above were put on in 2012, 10,000 miles since, have not had problems. were put on without flaps or rim liners, inner rim spoke area was smooth no edges. Would probably put on rim liners next time to be safe. At the time did not know better and the tire place said I did not need them.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

I believe SNYDER's has them made special. This has been discussed here before, do a search.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
WHN

We bought ours a number of years ago from Mac’s. Firestone tires, tubes, and tube guards. No problems, fingers crossed. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastroadster View Post
Biggest problem I've had was tubes splitting on seams......
We often hear this comment but tubes have NO SEAMS. Just turn one inside out and look at the uniform surface - no seams. The marks you see on the outside of the tube are from joints in the mold.
Blind loyalty to a brand is a reciope for disaster IMO. Just because the tube has a brand name on it, doesn't mean it was made by that company. Very often these days, companies that used to make stuff are now no more than a distributor for someone else. Blind loyalty to a product made in a particular country is just as silly, again, IMO. The citizens of every country believe that their own country make quality items. They can't all be right.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
eagle

I got Universal 21" tires from Coker and tubes from Mac's. This was a few years ago, no problems. Tires are wearing very well and look good too. I check the air pressure every spring. Cost me around $125 per tire including balancing with stick on weights. I imagine the price is higher now.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
We often hear this comment but tubes have NO SEAMS. Just turn one inside out and look at the uniform surface - no seams. The marks you see on the outside of the tube are from joints in the mold.
Blind loyalty to a brand is a reciope for disaster IMO. Just because the tube has a brand name on it, doesn't mean it was made by that company. Very often these days, companies that used to make stuff are now no more than a distributor for someone else. Blind loyalty to a product made in a particular country is just as silly, again, IMO. The citizens of every country believe that their own country make quality items. They can't all be right.

It is still interesting the splits then seem line up with the mold marks. Wonder why?
Old 11-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #11
rocket1

All the inner tubes are imported,Brattons sells the best of the lot.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

I have gotten a lot of tires from Universal. Last we’re Firestone.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #13
rotorwrench

Those that purchased more than a year ago might find that the market has changed so folks should take that into consideration. I purchased tubes for a non- model A car, a tractor, & two motorcycles this year and I've found that some stuff comes from Vietnam or India then there is the Chicom stuff. All have been working OK so far but you just never know.

What I would recommend would be to purchase from a model T or A parts vendor that has a reputation for getting parts that will be known to them to work. Bratton's, Berts, & Snyder's generally follow this business practice. If you have doubts, call them and ask them. The good folks will tell you like it is. If things have changed, they will generally let a customer know about that too. Some folks still take care of their customers and won't sell crap that's mediocre. If they think it's mediocre they will tell you but sometimes that's all that is available.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
I found and used Farm and Fleet implement tubes from Tractor Supply, think Farm and Fleet has them too. They are pretty thick/heavy. Only down side is I found that after I had tires mounted the valve stems are pretty long. It was too l ate to change, already mounted, I tell people I use them a as curb feelers There was quite a cost saving compared to Coker's. And as an FYI my wheels are 16s.
I have those tubes on the '36 Ford, 16 inch rims, and they almost never need air added to them. Maybe 2-3 pounds every other year at best. I like that
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #15
rotorwrench

I assume you need rubber for a 19 inch tire like your avatar. Tractors don't use that size. If they are 16 inch than they are later Ford V8 types but they will work with a 16-inch tube.

Coker had problems with tubes marked EEEC but they discontinued sales of those. Now they are listed as Hartford brand but I have no idea where they come from. Some of the vendors likely buy from Coker tire but I don't know for sure. Bert's states that his are made in China but he backs them. At least he is honest about it.

A lot also depends on what type of stem you want to use. the originals Schrader valve stems like the model A had, have to have a tube with a rubber stem that can be cut off for prep to install original stems. There are some with metal stems but a person has to be careful to get the right size stem to make them look original. The ones sold as metal stem to fit orginal type Schrader hardware even have the bridge washer but they are the expensive ones at around 39 to 50 bucks apiece depending on the vendor.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote