Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
46yblock

Default How about a movie thread? Car related?

If this is inappropriate for the forum, I trust it will either be ignored or deleted.

I bought some old movies in a 50 movie package, newly recorded to DVD, from Amazon. It was a Horror Classics package. Cheap at $8.95. The very first one was good!
"Carnival of Souls", B&W, 1962. None of the actors or actresses were known to me but they all, except for the would be suitor, did a good job. A very good "B" movie.

The movie started with a "Drag Race" between two guys in a 30's Ford and 3 gals in an early 50's Chevy. The girls crashed going off a bridge and were killed. It presented an interesting story which followed through to the end. Many shots of cars we all love in their original glory. The downtown scenes with store fronts and typical downtown hussle and bussle I remember well. Among the many old cars I think I even spoted a Morris Minor.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: How about a movie thread? Car related?

One of my favorite "Car" movies is Thunder Road starring Robert Mitchum and Gene Barry. I believe Mitchum also wrote the story. About Bootleggers.

Cover sez "Breathtaking auto chase scenes" and "most exhilarating road thriller of them all"

Best of all it features some Y-Block powered cars.

Dang it, Mike. Now I'm going to have to watch it instead of painting the laundry room...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-08-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
46yblock

It has been a good 30 years since I saw Thunder Road. Time for a refresh !
Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
darrell

i guess everyone known the 51 had a y block with 3 duces.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
William H. Blalock

Great movie. See attached Jim Mitchum looking my mill in the garage constructed for the movie outside of Asheville, N.C. The shot was made in 2007 commemerating the 50th anniversary of the filming of the movie Thunder Road. See also a frame from the original movie made in the same garage as built in 1957 just for the filming.
William H. Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
46yblock

Kool stuff there William!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
rick55

I recently saw a movie called, the California kid, with Martin sheen and vic morrow. Featured a pretty good hot rod and other interesting cars of the late 50's.
The interesting thing was that morrow drive what I took to be a 57 Plymouth Fury with dual quad headlights and the inner lights were indicators - I have never noticed that before.
As for the movie it was pretty predictable with a very soft ending.
The cars made up for the lack of plot.
Here is a link for the Photo from the movie of the car morrow drives.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t_cars/232.jpg

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
One of my favorite "Car" movies is Thunder Road starring Robert Mitchum and Gene Barry. I believe Mitchum also wrote the story. About Bootleggers.
Saw that movie for the first time a couple months ago. Mitchum drove a souped up 1950 Ford in the beginning of the movie and later drove a 1957 Ford Fairlane 2-dr hardtop. The cars were called "tankers". Its a slang term referring to the moonshine tank hidden in the trunk.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Daves55Sedan

In the original movie "The Body Snatchers", the real star of the show was the Unique two-tone black-over-white 1955 Ford Fairlane Towne Sedan driven by the Character who's name was miles. Sorry don't know the name of the actors.
Pretty good movie though. Miles and his girlfriend were the only people in town who were aware that alien seed-pods were taking over humans during their sleep. The aliens were out to silence them. In the end, Miles girlfriend fell asleep and was taken over by her alien counterpart, but Miles was able to contact the State police or national guard to put an end to the aliens sinister plot to take over the whole planet.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Old B & W Television series:
The first year Leave it to Beaver was filmed, Ward Cleaver's car was a '57 Ford Custom 300 Sedan. Wally's freind, lumpy Rutherford had a 1940 Ford covertible with a bull horn in later years.

Perry Mason: In the late '50's, Raymond Burr's character; Perry Mason drove a brand new black '57 Ford Skyliner convertible in 1957. In '58, again another brand new Ford convertible and again in '59 a new Ford convertible. All black. In 1960, the producer contracted with GM, so after that, Mason had Cadillac convertibles. William Hopper's character; super sleuth Paul Drake had new Thunderbird convertibles.

The Andy Griffith Show: In the early '60's, Aunt Bea's car was a solid black 1955 Ford Syliner convertible. The car only had rare appearances in the show through the years. Sheriff Andy Taylors Ford Galaxie squad car graced the screen much more frequently.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
46yblock

Smile Re: How about a movie thread? Car related?

OK here is another: "The Giant Gilla Monster" (is that laughter?). Saw advertisements for this movie in the theater in '59. I would have been 10.
The TV series "Happy Days" and it's character Fonzy must have originated with this movie.

A good line came early in the movie. The kid asked a town drunk if he could buy the old guys 1932 stock Ford. The old timer replied "Buying a car is like getting married. Everyone should do it once, and no body should have to do it twice. I bought this car new in 1932 for $695 and I've been offered $100. Now when that offer gets back to $695, I will sell her."

It was full of youngsters in their hot rods, a soda shop, sock hop, and the star really was Fonzy, complete with his own mechanics shop, tow truck, hot rod, and sweetie. The town cop drove a '58 Ford patrol car (I drove a '58 Ford on my first date).

Fonzy provided the end by sending his hot rod loaded with nitro-glycerin into the 50 foot lizard, ending it's murderous days.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

How about "Christine" the '58 Plymouth Fury in the movie and book written by Stephen King?
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Tinker

Newer movie Gangster squad. http://gangstersquad.warnerbros.com/#video

Mostly late 30's,40's, with a few early 50's thrown in. Hope they don't really wreck some of the cars in movie. Maybe it's animated.

Always liked greased lightning, the wendell scott movie.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
46yblock

Tinker, that looks like a good one. Will try to find it.

Dennis, did you think the kid that owned Christine was as odd as the car?
Old 06-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #15
eagleman

Smile Re: How about a movie thread? Car related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H. Blalock View Post
Great movie. See attached Jim Mitchum looking my mill in the garage constructed for the movie outside of Asheville, N.C. The shot was made in 2007 commemerating the 50th anniversary of the filming of the movie Thunder Road. See also a frame from the original movie made in the same garage as built in 1957 just for the filming.
great shot The 51 ford was bought by james mitchum after the movie.It was sold to a guy in culver city 1960.He found james mitchums work permit under the seat. He also put a blower on it and slicke. thanks.
eagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #16
Jay in Mass

Great pictures William
Now lets make sure that I have the story right. The movie car in the picture is actually a 51 with an earlier nose. The first 49-50 Ford actually got wrecked in that wild skidding scene and they threw that nose on a 51 body. The car that got blown up in the filling station scene was the 51 . And at some time in the movie it changed colors also. Right?
I hope that all is well with you. Jay
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #17
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

All good.. Thunder Road, Christine, etc. There was also one with a giant spider in the desert that was finally killed by a kid sacrificing his hot rod full of explosives, driving it towards the spider and at the last second, rolling out, blowing up the spider and saving the world. Also, Two Lane Blacktop, the original and new Gone in 60 seconds, Dragstrip Girl, The Blob with Steve McQueen and a Plymouth ragtop, Rebel Without a Cause....

The '57 in Thunder Road sounds like it has a six in it.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #18
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Old B & W Television series:
The first year Leave it to Beaver was filmed, Ward Cleaver's car was a '57 Ford Custom 300 Sedan. Wally's freind, lumpy Rutherford had a 1940 Ford covertible with a bull horn in later years.

Perry Mason: In the late '50's, Raymond Burr's character; Perry Mason drove a brand new black '57 Ford Skyliner convertible in 1957. In '58, again another brand new Ford convertible and again in '59 a new Ford convertible. All black. In 1960, the producer contracted with GM, so after that, Mason had Cadillac convertibles. William Hopper's character; super sleuth Paul Drake had new Thunderbird convertibles.

The Andy Griffith Show: In the early '60's, Aunt Bea's car was a solid black 1955 Ford Syliner convertible. The car only had rare appearances in the show through the years. Sheriff Andy Taylors Ford Galaxie squad car graced the screen much more frequently.

Also on "Leave it to Beaver", Wally Cleaver's first car (although not a Ford), was a pretty rare one. A '53 Chevy 210 convertible. I thought Bel Air's were the only convertibles in '53 until I saw that one. I think the car was only in one episode.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #19
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Also on "Leave it to Beaver", Wally Cleaver's first car Sal
The 52 Chevy convertible was Wally's first RUNNING car. Actually, his first car was a 1936 business coupe (make unknown). Wally parted the '36 coupe out and sold the chassis for junk to get rid of it out of the front yard, much to Father Ward Cleaver's delight.

Oops, it may have been a '53 convertible, not a '52
Old 06-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #20
Jay in Mass

Dave55Sedan
you are faster at typing than me. All I can add to it is I think that Wally's first car was a 36 Ford coupe.
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote