Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
TRP

Default Spent some money on the '29 this week...

I have had my Tudor for about two months now. Finally decided to make some changes. New Firestone blackwalls will replace the Insa tires it came with. I also bought new shocks from Snyders. I spent some time installing the new parts this weekend.

I plan to also tidy up the motor and install the motor pans this weekend. My radiator is looking long in the tooth. What are the opinions on replace vs. Repair? The one in the car today appears to be original style with the ribbed top tank.

Ted

* wow. I dont know why the images are flipped over. Sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170930_155439.jpg (55.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 20170930_175234.jpg (54.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20170930_162107.jpg (57.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20170930_172023.jpg (47.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20170930_140443.jpg (52.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 20170930_154433.jpg (58.5 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by TRP; 10-01-2017 at 11:25 AM.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: Spent some money on the '29 this week...

I have that picture "flip" issue often. I believe it is due to how so-called "smart phones" store pictures along with all kinds of useless data about the pictures. They look fine on the phone, but when uploading them to this and other forums, they flip. One forum I use for another hobby has a forum administrator that goes in and flips everyones pictures to a correct orientation. I am not suggesting that be done here. What would be nice is if the forum software could be updated to use the stupid "smart" features of phones.

Your tires look great, and I suspect you will have a much improved ride as a result of both. Mine has no shocks and someday I will get them.

For me and my '29 Tudor, this last month has been spent gathering drums, brake linings, parts and time to do a complete brake job all the way around. Brakes were really bad and the old drums were paper thin and some shoes were down to the rivets.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Ted,

As far as the radiator goes, here is my theory. If it is the original core with the large oval tubes and it can be repaired do that instead of replacing it. The original tubes run more water than the newer thinner tubes. Plus, it will probably be better built than one made today.

Mike
Old 10-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
TRP

Wow. It rides so much more smooth with the shocks and the new tires. Huge difference!

The motor pans went right in without any issues. For some reason the muffler pipe is suuuuuper close to the motor pan. I will need to get in there and see what I can do to adjust the pan or the muffler pipe.

Im going to order a replacement radiator from Brassworks. Might also get a new front spring. She rides a little low in the front.

Thanks for letting me share!

Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote