Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default We'd like to meet other Model Aers

This is a bit different from the usual thread here but here we go.
My wife and I are visiting the US from mid May to the end of June and will be touring from Phoenix Az to the MAFCA rally in Reno. We have no locked in schedule and would like to meet a few Model A owners as we go. We plan on leaving Phoenix at the end of May and probably take a route through Eager, Socorro, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Colorado Springs, Denver, Rapid City, Salt Lake City to Reno taking in the usual tourist "must sees".
As I said, we would like to meet a few Model A people as we go. We did similar on another visit in 2013 and found the meeting experience more than worth while.
If any of you on or near our proposed route are up for a meet and greet, please PM me.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
slammin

Default Re: We'd like to meet other Model Aers

Since you will be in Denver, be sure to stop by Berts, 2767 South Tejon Street in Englewood, CO . 80110 Note, they are closed Sunday and Monday. If you are traveling I-70 between Salt Lake and Denver, wave as you pass by Fruita, Colorado! While this has been an unusually dry year, a late May snowstorm is always possible in the Colorado mountains. Have fun and enjoy our beautiful state.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
denniskliesen

I'm going to plan on going to the Reno meet, but not all of the days. Stay in touch when it gets close to that time and we can hook up.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
daveymc29

Drop by the repair facility during your stay in Reno. I speak the language, though with a funny accent. (To you.) I'll be the dumb one in charge that pretends to know something about the cars. Do say hello. Also I live in the SF Bay area, so we might get a day together after the meet, if you're inclined to see that city and no one has nuked us.

David Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:13 AM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
Since you will be in Denver, be sure to stop by Berts, 2767 South Tejon Street in Englewood, CO . 80110 Note, they are closed Sunday and Monday. If you are traveling I-70 between Salt Lake and Denver, wave as you pass by Fruita, Colorado! While this has been an unusually dry year, a late May snowstorm is always possible in the Colorado mountains. Have fun and enjoy our beautiful state.
Thanks for the reply, slammin. I have every intention of visiting Bert's. Could we meet someplace as we wave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
I'm going to plan on going to the Reno meet, but not all of the days. Stay in touch when it gets close to that time and we can hook up.
I'll send you a PM when the time is close. I look forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Drop by the repair facility during your stay in Reno. I speak the language, though with a funny accent. (To you.) I'll be the dumb one in charge that pretends to know something about the cars. Do say hello. Also I live in the SF Bay area, so we might get a day together after the meet, if you're inclined to see that city and no one has nuked us.

David Mc Arthur
Might very well be in SF next year. I'm pretty sure it will still be there! My wife, being the organiser freak she is, is arranging a trip for (probably ) 3 couples that will take in SF, some touring, the Ford museum, Carlisle and Hershey. I'll be meeting other friends at Reno (one Australian, one NZ and one American) who will be in their Model As so who knows, they might be there "on business". I look forward to meeting - just hope you are not too busy for a couple of reasons!

Last edited by Synchro909; 04-16-2018 at 02:26 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #6
Juggler

When you are in Phoenix don't forget Sammy at AZ Model A.

Me and my Dad will be in Chandler, within spitting distance of Sammy's shop, till 23rd May

(if I get there in the first place )
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
When you are in Phoenix don't forget Sammy at AZ Model A.

Me and my Dad will be in Chandler, within spitting distance of Sammy's shop, till 23rd May

(if I get there in the first place )
Sammy is the American I mentioned we will be meet in Reno. We'll be catching up with him while we are there and maybe you too? This'll be interesting!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #8
abachman3

Not Model A, but I highly recommend that you take some time while in the Phoenix area to visit Ernie Adams, DWARF car maker. Check him out on youtube or his web site. He is about an hour south and west from Phoenix.
abachman3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
jrelliott

we live in Pine, AZ which is above Payson on the Beeline Highway(Route 87). Depending on how you drive to Eager, you may be close. There are a few A's and T's in Payson. We will be in Chicago until the 28th of June. Route 60 out of Phoenix is the other way to Eager.
BTW really enjoyed our visit to your country a few years ago.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #10
Synchro909

Any last minute suggestions???
Old 05-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #11
KenCoupe

What route are you taking after Reno? Are you heading toward San Francisco, Los Angeles, or other destination? If you are heading toward Los Angeles and traveling down highway 395 you should visit Mono Lake and the tufa there (google Mono Lake). If you like ghost towns, Bodie is a little north of Mono Lake (part of the road to Bodie is dirt) and Bodie has several antique autos around the town in various conditions as well as the remaining buildings. Also, you will get to see a large portion of the Sierra Mountains - Mt. Whitney, the tallest mountain in the lower 48 states is on the way - and is beautiful. I'll be in Reno - we'll be traveling hwy 395 both up to Reno and back home.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:35 PM   #12
Dodge

I'm also in San Francisco Bay Area. Let us know when you might be coming next year maybe we can get you together with our club.

Dodge
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Years back, in Oklahoma, we only visited when we went to town, on Saturday afternoon! NOW, we visit Folks in EXOTIC Places, isn't it AMAZING????
Bill Countryboy
Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #14
Jw

If you are in Denver give me a call and I will show you my 5 Model A, Thanks Joe
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCoupe View Post
What route are you taking after Reno? Are you heading toward San Francisco, Los Angeles, or other destination? If you are heading toward Los Angeles and traveling down highway 395 you should visit Mono Lake and the tufa there (google Mono Lake). If you like ghost towns, Bodie is a little north of Mono Lake (part of the road to Bodie is dirt) and Bodie has several antique autos around the town in various conditions as well as the remaining buildings. Also, you will get to see a large portion of the Sierra Mountains - Mt. Whitney, the tallest mountain in the lower 48 states is on the way - and is beautiful. I'll be in Reno - we'll be traveling hwy 395 both up to Reno and back home.
Ken, From Reno, we fly to Vancouver to catch up with some Model A friends a couple of hours east of there. Your suggestion sounds good but.....
Old 05-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
I'm also in San Francisco Bay Area. Let us know when you might be coming next year maybe we can get you together with our club.

Dodge
Count on it. When we were driving (modern) across the country in 2013, we caught up with a couple of clubs along the way. Those visits were fantastic and Bill, one of those was in Oklahoma City.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw View Post
If you are in Denver give me a call and I will show you my 5 Model A, Thanks Joe
Joe, that sounds great. If you PM me a phone number, I'll make sure we do. Thanks.
I can't give you a number till we organise a phone (when we get there)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #18
quickchange

With a bunch of Aussies & a bunch ok Kiwis headed to Reno suggest all A ers drive on the left side of the road , could be safer ??not long to go, Derek in a wet cool NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #19
Doug Linden

A MAFCA convention wouldn't be the same without our friends from down under. I sure hope we get to spend some time comparing notes on Model A'ing. I look forward to seeing you and all our FB friends in Reno. Please stop by and say hello at the welcome party.
Doug
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:31 AM   #20
quickchange

Doug, sure will & don,t forget the meeting for us ford barners , bring your name tags , a few tinnies ( can of beer ) Oh also your wives , Maybe at one of the bars one evening too , we can do some bench racing ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote