Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
ursus

Default Piston Pins

It seems that none of the major vendors are selling piston pins in any size whatsoever. I was looking for pins in the standard size but all they have now are pistons w/ pins.

Time was when pistons were often sold without pins because those rebuilding engines wanted the option to ream out rods to 0.001, 0.0015, 0.0003, or 0.005 oversize pins and ream the pistons to match. I have an accumulation of such pistons as well as the oversize pins but have to wonder why one cannot simply buy pins in standard. Perhaps I am a but a dinosaur in this modern age.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Piston Pins

Until recently when a couple of our members went to Snyders, we couldn't buy a steering shaft without the worm fitted. Trouble was, the worms were LHD. None of the vendors sold shaft only. We had to buy the shaft with the wrong worm fitted and the correct worm, remove the lefty one and throw it away. When told of the problem, Snyders promised to go back to making shafts available without the worm. I don't know what other vendors are doing but I think it was dumb to stop selling shafts only.
I guess the vendors only stock what sells in high numbers but.......
Old 10-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Piston Pins

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
It seems that none of the major vendors are selling piston pins in any size whatsoever. I was looking for pins in the standard size but all they have now are pistons w/ pins.

Time was when pistons were often sold without pins because those rebuilding engines wanted the option to ream out rods to 0.001, 0.0015, 0.0003, or 0.005 oversize pins and ream the pistons to match. I have an accumulation of such pistons as well as the oversize pins but have to wonder why one cannot simply buy pins in standard. Perhaps I am a but a dinosaur in this modern age.
The true issue behind this is we are expecting a vendor to be able to put forth the money to inventory every scenario that might exist. Real Estate, COGS, etc. are just too costly for a group of folks that are most often labeled as frugal, -at best.

However, to be more specific, an oversized wrist pin and new rod bushings are available however my book shows a 1.005" pin to be US manufactured at $22 a piece wholesale. Most thorough engine rebuilders are going to charge a fee to 'float' the pins in the existing pistons thus adding to the cost. The call for this particular type of repair is probably so infrequent that the cost to own the inventory would exceed the profit that could be made when they were finally able to sell at set

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote