Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2023, 01:37 PM   #1
1930artdeco

Default how to adj Ford before starting

OK, I have the manual on the Ford o Matic but would like a simple easy to read explanation on how to adjust the tranny (TV rod) before I start the engine up. It is just the way I learn.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-30-2023, 03:17 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: how to adj Ford before starting

Definitely Not the official procedure:
Just a very basic "ballpark" place to start from that will get you 'close' and likely need some further adjustment. But with any luck will be driveable so you can continue adjusting as needed.

With the fast-idle cam on the choke mechanism out of the way... have the throttle linkage at the idle position, with all throttle return springs installed. Remove the TV rod from the bellcrank lever arm.
Pull up (firmly but not too hard) on the TV rod. Count the number of turns (clockwise) needed on the adjustment link until the pin aligns with its hole in the lever while the TV rod is held upward.
It should be about 3 turns. If it is, unscrew (lengthen) it back to the same place & reattach.

If it wasn't... from the point where the pin lines up with the hole, unscrew (lengthen) the adjuster link on the threaded TV rod 2 & 1/2 to 3 turns and reattach it to the lever. Test drive...
Adjust for best engaging and shifting in one-half turn increments. More than one full turn in either direction should not be needed.

I likely shouldn't be offering this advice. My '55 with Fordomatic is a mixed bag of mis-matched parts that was barely driveable with the adjustment as it was. The linkage parts it has are from different years/don't quite match the book so I had to fake it. But it engages & shifts much better than before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle bellcrank, left side adjustment c2.jpg (85.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg kick down rod adjustment, image 2.jpg (56.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg kick down rod adjustment image.jpg (55.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-31-2023 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add image
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:32 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Thanks that is what I was looking for. Just so when I go to the manual I will have an idea as to what they are referring to. She won't be driven for awhile this is a break in the engine run. As long as I get her in the ball park and I don't kill anything.

Mike
Old 05-31-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The early Borg Warner's work off of transmission pressure. As the throttle is increased, the TV is pulled to increase transmission pressure. If the transmission shifts hard then the pressure is a bit too high. If it shifts slow and sloppy then the pressure is too low. The TV rod can be adjusted one way or the other but a person shouldn't make large adjustments at a time. Add or subtract just a little and test it. It may not need much.

There can also be internal problems such as leaks that will make adjusting the TV rod problematic. Always note where you started and how much adjustment was made so that it can be returned to the original location if adjustments don't make a difference. There were special tools to set them up at the factory but these tools are not common in the modern era. A person can put a pressure gauge on the transmission and adjust it for proper operating pressure instead of using the special tools.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:18 PM   #5
Gene F

The TV rod is basically the manual version of todays electronic throttle position sensor.

I played with mine for a good while before I got it where it needed to be when I installed my tri-power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 tri power small pixels.jpg (57.3 KB, 7 views)
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote