Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2023, 01:23 AM   #1
B-ster

Default Putting car together

I know, vague subject.
Basically, I am rebuilding a 54 Lincoln Capri. The engine is almost all together. The tranny is at the shop getting torn down finding out what it may need to rebuild.
The car needs paint,(we're changing the color).
It needs an interior, of course it depends on the color of the exterior,which is still up in the air.
I'm rewiring the car, changing it to 12 volts too
My question is what is the best order to do these things? Do I want to put in the new wiring before the exterior and interior are done?
I know the drive train goes in after the paint since the engine bay will get painted. I have never done any of this stuff desperately let alone all of it in one vehicle.
I do have an interior guy who also has a paint guy nearby that he recommends, so those two things will probably be done at one time.
So I guess I am just looking for experienced advice so I don't do things in the wrong order and screw something up.
As always, thanks y'all
B-ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:44 AM   #2
GLAmes

Default Re: Putting car together

I believe that the wiring should be first because you have the easiest access to routing and working under the dash is a lot easier with no front seat installed. Paint next, drivetrain after that and interior last. You don't want to mess up the new fabric.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:29 AM   #3
rotorwrench

It depends on how extensive the paint work will be. If the whole car will be stripped for paint with the body off the frame then the body and paint work will be done first. The chassis work can be completed prior to reinstallation of the body and any removed body parts such as doors if painted off the car. Wiring can be installed after the paint is good and solid. Removal of the dash makes it a lot easier to paint and wire back up. Reinstall it after wiring is completed. The steering box & column can then be reinistalled along with brake components and other firewall related items. Install interior and body trim last.

If the body is painted on the frame then paint things in the engine compartment prior to reinstallation of the engine & trans would be first. The order of paint work is usually interior areas first so that a person doesn't have to worry about masking as much. Mask the door openings, engine compartment, trunk inner area, and windows to paint the outside.

Some of the electricals are under the interior trim so do wiring prior to reinsallation of the interior components and trim.

Full body off restoration is more complex obviously but makes that car more valuable. If a person just wants a nice driver and the underside is relatively rust free then just doing a body on job will save a lot of time and funds to get the car moving as quickly as possible. The faster a person gets back into a drivable car, the longer it can be enjoyed. Tend to other things a little at a time.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-14-2023 at 10:37 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:40 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

I've done two body-off-frame restorations.
1st category: was cleaning and replating or blueing of nuts, bolts, washers and all other type of fasteners and clips. Get replacements for any missing or unsalvagable ones. Keep everything is separate small boxes marked as to location. Best to store boxes in a cabinet out of the way.
2nd category: Frame sandblasting and body dunking or plastic bead blasting. After everything is cleaned, wipe down all surfaces with mineral spirits, do any welding necessary and prepare for primer, then overcoat. I kept the front end parts that were painted black in a separate space from the main body.
3rd category: frame/suspension, wheels. Assemble everything to end up with a rolling frame. Install engine, transmission and driveshaft. Install new repro fuel-line on frame.
4th category: body/frame assembly. After everything was finish painted, I put the body back on the frame with new rubber pads and bolted it down, then assembled the front end on the car.
5th category: is interior upholstery and door panels. I got all new stuffing for the seats and cut/fit all pieces on the concrete driveway. I also cut all new door masonite upholstery panels outside, punched all the holes and glued the vinyl fabric on them, then put in the clips and made them completely ready to install on the doors. Got pre-made seat covers and hog-ringed them on outside.
6th category: glass run weatherstripping, door, windshield and rear glass. All new fuzzy glass channels had to be installed. Drilling and riveting of the channels and wing windows was slow and tedious. At this time, I also installed all the door mechanisms, put the outside door handles and locks on, all the door exterior trim and popped the door upholstery panels on so that doors were complete. Install all new door gaskets on doors. install door striker plates loosely for later adjustments after front fenders are installed.
7th category: Dashboard & steering column. These I also stripped to bare metal and refinished. I sat the dash on a set of sawhorses and installed cables, switches, clock and heater control. Here, I connected the new wiring harness to all the dash controls & accessories. I left the radio out till after the dash was installed in the car. When I went to install the dash in the car, I had to have help dragging the wiring harness and poking it through the hole in the firewall and direct air cables in the right direction while I manhandled the dash in place. Then he got a couple of dash mounting screws started and i finished the rest and installed the radio.
8th category: Rear wiring harness and floorcovering. First I cut/fit and put down roofing felt on the floor and laid the rear harness on top and installed cable hold down straps on the floor. I hooked up the wiring under the dash then threw the final floorcovering on the floors. (I used repro black mat).
9th category: Install all exterior trim that was not installed during the door assembly, then put the outer front fenders on. Put grille and bumpers and their brackets on. Install hood and trunk hinges (loosely) then install hood and truck lid and make adjustments and tighten down. Install all emblems that have not previously been installed and put the radio antennae on the fender and hook up the antennae cable to the radio.
10th category: Finish work. Connect all wiring under the hood. install headlights, taillights, their housings and lenses and connect wiring. Install gas tank in bottom of car and hook up sending unit wiring (with separate ground wire to body ground) and hook up fuel line to gas tank. Finish installing all the small stuff not previously installed.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:35 PM   #5
B-ster

Dave, quite a detailed plan. Unfortunately my rebuild is a frame on resto. There are some things that'll transfer over. Thanks
B-ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:15 PM   #6
Hot Rod Reverend

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The thread with the most views may help, but there is not a "search" or "category" index for it: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145936

I finally gave up when the photobucket thing went south and just paid for my own website. Visit HotRodReverend.com/blog and you will see what I mean. All posts are categorized, plenty more photos and videos, etc. I get over 1000 views a month on multiple pages so somebody out there is using the information.