Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #21
DavidG

Default Re: Incorrectly mounted Spare Wheels on 1932-1935 Fords

Trevor is addressing a design characteristic of stock 18", 17", and 16" original equipment wheels, with on one side of the hub a drain hole for the inevitable intrusion of water into the hub from around the hub cap and the portion of the back of the hub open to the elements and opposite or nearly opposite that hole the opening for the valve stem thereby minimizing the possibility water intrusion via the valve stem. Like just about every other detail of originality, whether or not the spare wheels are noted as being mounted according to Ford's design intent is dependent on the knowledge of those doing the judging. And as with most subjects, history shows that to be uneven.

I applaud Trevor for attempting to enlighten those in the dark.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #22
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

This thread is about 1932-1935 Fords, not Buicks.
Here is another example of the Spare Wheel mounted incorrectly, this time in the Fender. When these cars were assembled, the Valve was always placed at the top, no matter if the Spare was on the rear or in the Fender. The reason for this is explained in Post 2. This very nice restoration of a 1934 Ford with Six Wheel Equipment is spoiled by this slight error when the spare was mounted.
I'm not a '32 - '35 guy but really appreciate your keen eye. I enjoy the intricate details of our old Fords. It's things like this that separate the true #1 restored cars to the much more common #2 quality "restorations".
Thanks for sharing Mercman!
Old 03-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #23
mercman from oz

Here is a comparison shot of the back of both a regular Ford wire wheel and the Accessory Kelsey Hayes wire wheel showing that both manufacturers added a drain hole. So, what ever wheel your early Ford has, the the Valve should always be positioned at the top, so that any trapped water can escape thought this very thoughtful drain hole.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:32 AM   #24
mercman from oz

Ford owners are not the only ones having problems mounting their spare wheels correctly. Check out this 1930 Hudson Super 8 Brougham. The owner had mounted the spare wheel with the Valve just where it landed. While I was talking to the owner, I checked the back of this wheel, and would you believe that Hudson, like Ford had a small hole to allow trapped water to escape. The owner thanked me for pointing this feature out, removed and remounted the spare with the Valve at the top and the hole at the bottom while I was there.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #25
Cecil/WV

While this may be the correct mounting and if I had one of these cars, I would mount the spare in this manner, but as far as rust, I doubt that in today's world, there would be little chance of a spare rusting!!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #26
mercman from oz

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Nice 1934 Ford Sedan with spare wheel mounted incorrectly.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:35 AM   #27
Ian NZ

This is the correct way that my spare wheel is mounted on my 1932 - 3/W. It depends how the wheel is mounted on the carrier too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932 3W Rear.jpg (109.5 KB, 339 views)
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #28
mercman from oz

Ian, love your 1932 Ford. Congratulations, you have the spare wheel mounted correctly. When you happen to see a 32-35 Ford owner with the spare mounted with the valve not at the top, can you respectfully let them know the correct position of the valve. Hopefully, we will get this message across to all owners of these fine early Fords. I just hope owners and restorers will read this Thread and act accordingly.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #29
CHuDWah

Quote:

Ford owners are not the only ones having problems mounting their spare wheels correctly. Check out this 1930 Hudson Super 8 Brougham. The owner had mounted the spare wheel with the Valve just where it landed. While I was talking to the owner, I checked the back of this wheel, and would you believe that Hudson, like Ford had a small hole to allow trapped water to escape. The owner thanked me for pointing this feature out, removed and remounted the spare with the Valve at the top and the hole at the bottom while I was there.

There's also a difference with the Model A Ford. The correct rear mount is as you describe with the valve at the top and the hub cap logo readable. However, the side mount plate is angled so the valve cannot be at the top. The first hub nut to the right of the valve should be at the top - the valve (and the hub cap logo) will be angled slightly toward the front. Course there's no drainage concern as the wheel hub is open in back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930_11-fig_1013.jpg (99.6 KB, 283 views)
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #30
mercman from oz

Unfortunately, this illustration doesn't show the Valve. The position of the Valve does not need to be "top dead centre" and is usually slightly off, but at the top so that the drain hole is at the bottom.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #31
mercman from oz

You will note that the triangular bracket is marked "L". On my 34 Ford with a fender mounted spare, I could not figure out why my spare didn't sit properly and was at an angle. Then I discovered that the triangular bracket on my car was marked "R" and was for the right hand fender. After I located a correct "L" part, my spare now sits correctly.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #32
DavidG

Wandering off the beaten path here, the instruction at the bottom of the Model A side-mount illustration must have been re-thought as the comparable '32-'34 instruction is to not bottom out the tire in the well. I believe that there were two reasons for the change of heart, namely if bottomed out the tire will trap water and not allow it to reach the drain hole(s) in the well and that's a lot of weight to be borne by the fender. The revised brackets post-Model A are much stronger with the addition of a brace from the main bracket to the front cowl structure.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #33
mercman from oz

Right and Left spare wheel brackets for fender mounted spares in 1933 and 1934 Fords. Notice that they are both stamped "L". Actually, the painted one on the left was the one fitted to my 34 Ford but should have been stamped "R". No wonder my spare wouldn't sit correctly in the wheel well. After locating a correct Right bracket, the problem has been solved. It is interesting that the Factory stamped the wrong letter on my original bracket.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #34
CHuDWah

Quote:
You will note that the triangular bracket is marked "L". On my 34 Ford with a fender mounted spare, I could not figure out why my spare didn't sit properly and was at an angle. Then I discovered that the triangular bracket on my car was marked "R" and was for the right hand fender. After I located a correct "L" part, my spare now sits correctly.
Yes, Model A are marked L and R for the corresponding sides.

Quote:

Unfortunately, this illustration doesn't show the Valve. The position of the Valve does not need to be "top dead centre" and is usually slightly off, but at the top so that the drain hole is at the bottom.
True, but note the valve on a Model A wheel is centered between two hub bolts. On a rear mount the short leg of the triangular plate is horizontal and on top. The wheel should be mounted to the studs on that leg through the holes on either side of the valve, thus the valve is at the top.

On a side mount, the plate is angled per the illustration. The wheel still should be mounted to the studs on the short leg through the holes on either side of the valve, thus the valve is angled toward the front. Again, the wheel hub is open in back so drainage is not a concern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (44.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #35
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Wandering off the beaten path here, the instruction at the bottom of the Model A side-mount illustration must have been re-thought as the comparable '32-'34 instruction is to not bottom out the tire in the well. I believe that there were two reasons for the change of heart, namely if bottomed out the tire will trap water and not allow it to reach the drain hole(s) in the well and that's a lot of weight to be borne by the fender. The revised brackets post-Model A are much stronger with the addition of a brace from the main bracket to the front cowl structure.

Could be - the illustration is from Ford service bulletins so it's legit for Model A.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #36
DavidG

The instruction I referred to for '32s is also from the '32 Service Bulletins so it is more than just "could be".
Old 03-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #37
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
The instruction I referred to for '32s is also from the '32 Service Bulletins so it is more than just "could be".

Calm down. Maybe "could be" was poor phrasing but I agree with you. Just wanted to point out the Model A illustration is from service bulletins so it wouldn't be thought I just pulled it from a bodily orifice.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:35 AM   #38
Aarongriffey

What about 1936? Or T Bird ?
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:11 AM   #39
deuce lover

If you have the 36 spare tire cover there is only one way it mount - valve stem hole on top.See post #12.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:15 AM   #40
mercman from oz

Aarongriffey, Regarding the spare wheels on 1936 Fords, please refer to Post #12.