Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
rbullockv8

Default Spare side mount questions - 32 pickup.

I have original dual side mount spares. I'm getting my fenders bolted up and putting on the arms for the spare mounts, but was running into some odd angles, especially with the righthand one.

1. Anyone know if there is a difference in the lower support arms for right and left sides? I failed to mark these when I took them off. The upper arms coming off the cowl can't be interchanged, but I'm not sure about the lower arms. When I look straight down (picture of left side mount and plate), the angle seems off. Much worse on the right side where I don't have an original wheel mounting plate that has an angled depression stamped into its center.

2. Are the wheel mounting plates right and left specific? If so, anyone have a righthand one for sale?

3. Does the mounting plate go on like in my photo, with the wider part up? Is it the same on the righthand side?

Thanks, all. I'll get this thing done if it kills me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5049.jpg (22.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5050.jpg (28.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
BoxCar Tom

Default Re: Spare side mount questions - 32 pickup.

Yes, the wheel mounting plates are right and left specific. Did you install B-1406 side mount support to frame spacer between the lower support and the frame?
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
rbullockv8

Yes, I have the spacers for each side and they are installed. I was careful to label these in a Ziplock when I disassembled.
These mounts were on the pickup before I took it apart for restoration, but during restoration I realized the right side had an accident at some time. There are some bends, repairs, etc to the right side cab, back of cab corner, and cowl, including the cowl-windshield frame alignment which is a little tweaked. And the upper and lower spare mount arms for the right side are slightly curved, while the left side ones are straight.

Thanks for confirmation on the plates. I see now that the left mounting plate has an "L" stamped into the back. The righthand plate is a made-up on that someone cut out of steel, then put some lugs through. I think that plus the slightly bent support arms might be throwing that side off.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
DavidG

The main or lower support arms are the same for both sides. Only the braces that attach to the firewall via the cowl side panels and the mounting plates with the three studs for the wheels are side specific.

Tom raises a good point about the little spacer inserts for the main supports that compensate for the thickness of the front fender flanges that two of the main support's bolts pass through for their attachment to the chassis frame. Without those inserts the main support will not line up properly with the hole in the fender and to the well itself. A 1/16" deviation at the base of the support translates to a much bigger variation at the top end of the support.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
rbullockv8

Here are two pics looking straight down on the right side mount arm and the lower arm (not installed). The slight curves are really there--not just shadows or illusions. The arms on the left side of the pickup are both straight.

By the way, my dad always ran 6.00x16 steel wheels and tires instead of 18", and they never fit into the fender wells without a lot of shoving--or putting them in flat and then inflating. I have 16" wires that I'm going to use. Thought about using 5.50x16 for the spares to make it fit the well better.

A separate question: Macs sells the rubber grommets for the fender hole in both round center hole and oblong center hole. Is this just whichever fits better? I'm assuming all fenders have the round 2" hole in them, and it's just the grommet center that is either round or oblong?

So many questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5051.jpg (28.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5052.jpg (98.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5053.jpg (24.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5054.jpg (27.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
DavidG

Judging from the reflection on the cowl panel where the upper brace is attached, that area is deformed as well. It would take a great amount of force to bend the upper and lower supports shown in your photo. At some point in the truck's life it was involved in a fender bender. It's odd that the hardware was not replaced when the fender was evidently replaced.

The grommet with the round hole is for Model As and some big trucks post Model A. The grommet with the oval hole was for all '32-'34 passenger car and commercial vehicles (such as yours) with side-mounted spares.

I've extra originals of all of your damaged components and the plate that the wheel is attached to; please p.m. if interested.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote