Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #61
Brewsterbuff

Default Re: Hershey is Dying, Corrections are needed

I have been going to Hershey since the 1960s and flea marketing since the 1980s. Most of the time I don't take in enough money to pay the rent, but then I don't take much to sell. We take one of our three 1934 Brewster cars and go to get information about the company, owners and cars that still exist. We have located about 50 plus cars and most of our leads came from Hershey. We see other car buffs from all over the world, AND THEY ARE FRIENDLY AND A JOY TO VISIT WITH. You can't say that about Disney World or most any place else except a car show, if you are a car buff. We are in the Orange Field and it is not really a hot spot, but I don't think any of the others are that hot any more. Making the Orange Field a parking lot would not help me much if they gave me selling spaces in the Chocolate Field over by Chocolate World. I need my bathroom, refrigerator, bed, and security office AT MY SPACES. I do not need them on the other side of the world. I will continue to go as long as people stop and visit and I can continue to pay the rent.
Brewsterbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #62
Birchwood

This year was my first Hershey trip, actually it was my first model a swap meet. That being said I dont have the experience or the ability to compare from year to year. I am 51 so Im not a young man but I am new to model a restoration.

This month was my 12 year wedding anniversay and I convinced my wife this would be a great anniversary vacation and she agreed to make the trip.

After driving for about 10 hours I was hoping it would be worth it. We were there bright and early wed morning and I was in shock at the size and vast sea of parts and vendors. We had a great experience and my wife constantly commented about how nice and helpful the people were. I figured after the first day my wife would be ready to call it quits, but she was excited as I was. we stayed till friday and spent over 3 thousand dollars on parts and wares.

She is still talking about Hershey and is making plans for next year. I asked her what she was going to do if something happened between now and next year, I could get sick or die before then, she said "well I will go in memory of you".

So if I live and nothing Happens I will see you next year
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #63
springerpete

Jeff: The car coral was huge. It had a good collection of cars A to Z with prices quite high as well. I saw many things that I had not seen for many years so the walk was well worth it. I too was puzzled by the number of empty spaces in the sales fields as well as the packing up that started on Friday noon, but I have no idea what reasons folks had to do so. I did have a good time and will make a note for the future to do the sales fields first, coral second and then try and have rested legs for the Saturday show.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #64
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
This year was my first Hershey trip, actually it was my first model a swap meet. That being said I dont have the experience or the ability to compare from year to year. I am 51 so Im not a young man but I am new to model a restoration.

This month was my 12 year wedding anniversay and I convinced my wife this would be a great anniversary vacation and she agreed to make the trip.

After driving for about 10 hours I was hoping it would be worth it. We were there bright and early wed morning and I was in shock at the size and vast sea of parts and vendors. We had a great experience and my wife constantly commented about how nice and helpful the people were. I figured after the first day my wife would be ready to call it quits, but she was excited as I was. we stayed till friday and spent over 3 thousand dollars on parts and wares.

She is still talking about Hershey and is making plans for next year. I asked her what she was going to do if something happened between now and next year, I could get sick or die before then, she said "well I will go in memory of you".

So if I live and nothing Happens I will see you next year
Man, it sounds like you hit the jack pot with your spouse. My wife is 100% supportive, just won't go. I would like her to experience it at least once.

I'll keep working on it.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #65
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
That type of thinking will fit right in on the AACA FORUM, the late model people took over that Forum. The day that crap takes over the Hershey swap meet is the day the Hobby??y dies. B?,
bob crap is what they called non brass cars sixty years ago and did the hobby die? No and it is healthier now. You may not like it but you cant discount it post war autos are the future
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #66
cabrioletgalaxie

For anyone who has walked Hershey it is understandable that riding a scooter gets the job done without the aches and pains. And lets face it gray or no hair car enthusiasts are older and hence the scooters. One might say the interest in the old cars may be waining, heaven forbid, but true. I understand years ago there were tons of brass cars around. Now look at the car corral and average the age of these cars. Much newer. I saw more brass parts on flea market tables than I did whole brass cars. Times change and think about the future when there will be Honda and Toyota parts for sale at the same tables. Enjoy it while it lasts folks. And finally look at Ford Barn where it doesn't cost anyone a dime to list and sell parts and you can do it in your jammies. I thought about that as I packed up neat Model A parts I brought all the way from Maine to Hershey, paid for 4 motel nights, ate out every nite and then drove back home, with half the parts I brought down to sell.
We all love the "sport" but we can both buy and sell parts more easily than going to Hershey. That being said, I'll be there next year!
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #67
ken ct
BANNED

I have eliminated many shows from my scheduel and will continue to do Hershey and Ford nationals when less than a 1000 mi from home.The savings on gasoline for a Small Motor Home are a lot @ 10 MPG and saving on space fees also factors in. Most of my sales are from the FB and a lot of calls from repeat customers over the yrs. Many thanks from all you guys and see you at Hershey nxt yr.Local PO is less than a mile away.Life is good. ken ct. ken isidor getting tired and older every minute and slowing down.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #68
Terry, NJ

I'm new to Hershey (1st 2009) but I've sold stuff all my life and when you're dragging too much home, you have to lower prices. We're in a bad (hell, lousy)economy and just can't pay big prices. I for one found very little of what I was looking for. Or to be more correct, I found very little that was at a price I could live with. I was looking for old tin for my 30 Briggs T.S. I found some, but one guy was so stupidly out of line I didn't even try to negotiate with him. It would have been too big a jump to move it into the reasonable zone. I succeed in getting two other guys totally ticked off at me when I told them what I thought the part was really worth. Hell I know that no matter how much money I save, I'm going to be upside down in this project. The question is By how much?
Since this is a non-specific rant, Another point I want to bring up is the lazy habit some sellers have of not pricing their items. It puts me off. Why? Because maybe I don't want to ask him or he's busy with someone else. Maybe he's gone for break and left his totally unknowing wife in charge and all I can get out of her is "He'll be right back!" Hershey's too big and there's too much to see to be waiting around for him. So vendors, Ya wanna do business? Make it easy for me to buy! Don't highball your grungy crap! Recognise Crap for what it is, Crap, and price accordingly. Most 80+ Y.O. parts have had a hard life and it takes a lot of work to restore them. Stop being lazy or sneaky by concealing the price to last minute, Write them down for all to see, including your wife/kids. I love Hershey, even the bad memories are good!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
For anyone who has walked Hershey it is understandable that riding a scooter gets the job done without the aches and pains. And lets face it gray or no hair car enthusiasts are older and hence the scooters. One might say the interest in the old cars may be waining, heaven forbid, but true. I understand years ago there were tons of brass cars around. Now look at the car corral and average the age of these cars. Much newer. I saw more brass parts on flea market tables than I did whole brass cars. Times change and think about the future when there will be Honda and Toyota parts for sale at the same tables. Enjoy it while it lasts folks. And finally look at Ford Barn where it doesn't cost anyone a dime to list and sell parts and you can do it in your jammies. I thought about that as I packed up neat Model A parts I brought all the way from Maine to Hershey, paid for 4 motel nights, ate out every nite and then drove back home, with half the parts I brought down to sell.
We all love the "sport" but we can both buy and sell parts more easily than going to Hershey. That being said, I'll be there next year!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #69
Tom Wesenberg

Terry's right on about pricing items. I often assume if it isn't priced, it's because the seller is affraid to show the high price, and I'll walk on by.

Also, Hershey's too big to OPEN LATE, and CLOSE EARLY, like so many do.

Terry's also right about Hershey is too big to wait around for the husband that "will be right back", which usually turns into an hour or more.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #70
Bill Underwood

As to state sales tax: I live in TN. We have what is commonly called the "Girl Scout Cookie Law" whereby if a vendor comes into the state and sells one time a year, sales are exempt. Guess PA doesn't like the GSA? Or Hershey vendors!

BU
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #71
peters180a/170b

We should be exempt ! How many of us go out and eat over 3 or 4 days and 2 or 3 meals.. TAX ...Our hotels ..TAX.. i fill up on gas before i leave ..TAX.. and now P.A. makes me a TAX COLLECTOR.... What if i lose 1 day out of 4 due to rain ???do i get to right it off??? fee for the spot ??? travel expenses , like gas , toll , hotel ??? and if i don't make money to cover all,,,,,do i then have a right to claim a loss ??? TO P.A. Is there a accountant in the house??? l.o.l
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #72
1931 flamingo

IN CT "we" tax labor on a repair order or service call. Great state.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #73
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Objective is not only to make you a sales tax collector for them, but also an income tax payer to them.
After all, you did profit from those parts you sold and collected the sales tax on, right?
No?, I don't believe you. Prove it to us. Open your books.

Ah, beauty of cash sales. How much did you make?

Nuthin'.

What?

Yep, nuthin'. No register, no credit card slip, no nuthin'. Go pound salt, bean counter!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #74
peters180a/170b

Well i can say for one thing and i don't know about you all but this is the first flee market which tells you to collect TAX and makes sure you have a record book. Up around here there are some nice size flea markets and no tax collecting. Next thing the Government will drive around looking for Garage sales to see if you collect taxes...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #75
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Ah, beauty of cash sales. How much did you make?

Nuthin'.

What?

Yep, nuthin'. No register, no credit card slip, no nuthin'. Go pound salt, bean counter!
But therein lies the problem Tim because that mindset causes a person to blantantly tell a lie to cover up the truth, ...which then lowers our social status to be on the same level as a Politician!
(yeah, I know!! just consider it a generalized joke)

In all seriousness, hasn't there always been something negative about attending Hershey? (Weather, mud, prices, lack of lodging, empty spaces, etc.) Some things do change in time for the better and with all the negative aspects, some of us still make it a priority to attend. See y'all next year!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #76
Kevin in NJ

PA is not the only place that wants their share. In NJ I know more than one flea market vender had their merchandise impounded because they did not have a sales tax number.

Every state has their good points and their bad. Generally you handle the sales tax like part of doing business. You have to send them something knowing they can never really check you out. PA has pushed the envelope by requiring large businesses to file complex returns in their state and opening up their profits to taxes in PA and their home states. This is a big negative for Hershey- coupled with Ebay it has cut down Hershey from the Mecca it once was.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #77
wrndln

I was at Hershey this year. I sold two items. Now I have to pay PA sales tax on them! I was told that if the sale tax is over $75, you have to file quarterly estimated payments - a real pain. Also of note, the fellows in the swap space I was with said a couple of state Dept of Revenue people were walking around spot checking for sales tax. The fellows said they wanted to talk to the person next to us, but he was out "shopping". I was also out looking for parts, so I didn't see the state DOR people I was told about. It is a sad situation that PA is so desperate for money they have to send their agent snooping around to try to extract sale tax on stuff that was already taxed previously. When will it end! As mentioned earlier, you have to have a sale tax id number to get a swap space at Hershey and of course PA expects you to pay sales tax on everything you sold.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 10-27-2012 at 07:34 PM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #78
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sellers should NOT be taxed since they are contributing to the "RECYCLING EFFORT!" Bill W.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #79
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
But therein lies the problem Tim because that mindset causes a person to blantantly tell a lie to cover up the truth, ...which then lowers our social status to be on the same level as a Politician!
(yeah, I know!! just consider it a generalized joke)

In all seriousness, hasn't there always been something negative about attending Hershey? (Weather, mud, prices, lack of lodging, empty spaces, etc.) Some things do change in time for the better and with all the negative aspects, some of us still make it a priority to attend. See y'all next year!

Hey, if you can't beat 'um, join 'em!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #80
lance leblanc

Just like cell phones, I believe that the internet is the best and worse thing to happen to socity.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote