Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #101
Terry, NJ

Default Re: What drove you towards the Model A hobby?

My father's cousin had two Mod AA farm trucks. One was made out of an old school bus that had been in a fire. They were both "bailing wire" specials. Typical farm to market trucks and not much more. We were more amused by them than anything else. But thay were fun to ride in. All my life, since then, I wanted a early thirties Ford. A friend stopped by one Saturday and told me about a auction he was going to where there was a Mod A fordor going up for sale. By nightfall I was it's new and proud owner!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #102
PC/SR

My pal Jerry, at 14 got a 1930 std coupe with a 4 speed transmission. Neither of us had drivers licenses but we drove that baby all over the logging roads around Shasta Lake and vicinity. We learned alot about A repairs through trial and a lot of errors. He was 2 years older than me and when he was 16 and got his license, he bought a 31 PU. He offered me the coupe for $6 but I would only pay $4 because part of the deal was to swap the 4 speed to the PU.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #103
Bob/Kansas City

I always liked the look of the Model A's. The large variety of styles and body types was a factor also and the fact that it is modern enough to drive like a "regular" car.
Good supply of cars and parts, both original and reproductions, also helps the hobbyist.
I restored my first A about 30 + years ago, a '30 Std. Coupe, got out of the hobby for more years than I can count and just came back to it this year with the purchase of my Town Sedan.
Grease under the finger nails again!
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #104
Dan Baron

I used to build model cars when I was a kid. I had about 65 at one time. Most of them were old cars. I just liked the look I guess. Most of them were of Model A's. Hot rods mostly. I knew at the age of 12 that I would own a model A someday. Now, I have owned 4... So far..... Honey!!!!! Look what I found!!!!! I love youuuuuuu!!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #105
Dave in MN

Default A good old neighbor and a couple bottles of Orange Crush!

The summer I was 8 years old a retired neighbor, August Scheffler, took the time to take me fishing a couple times on a lake located 5 miles from our rural farm site. He would pick me up early in the morning in his CC ‘28 or ‘29 pickup. When he arrived, we had to dig for fresh worms on the north side of the barn where it was shaded. August's wife, Barbara, would always pack two ham sandwiches made with thick slabs of home baked bread, one slice buttered and 6 pink peppermint candies. August said that peppermint was "good for the stomach" but these peppermint candies were pretty strong and burned a bit in my mouth. When he wasn't looking, the lozenge would end up over the edge of the boat. On the way to the lake, we would stop at Busacker's corner store. This store was no bigger than 10 x 14 feet with one gas pump out front. At the store he would buy one bottle of Orange Crush for me to have with my sandwich. Soda pop was not something we ever had at home...this bottle of pop was a real treat for me. We would arrive at the lake and he would pull an old wooden row boat out of the weeds near the public landing and we would load our gear. August would row across the lake towards a spot thickly covered with lilly pads that was partially shaded from huge overhanging trees. August let me try rowing a couple times and I remember he would laugh when all I could do was make the boat go in circles. He always assured me that when I was a few years older, I would be able to row better than him. We would fish for a couple hours, have our sandwich and my bottle of Orange Crush about mid session and then he would row back to the landing. When he dropped me at home, I vividly remember the back end of the pickup and the unforgettable sound of the Model A as he pulled away. A few years later, the pickup fell into dis-repair and no longer ran. Often, when I went to visit and help him with his large fruit orchard, I would go into the barn and look at the pickup. I told myself; "That pickup was going to be mine someday." Time marches on and one day when I was going past his place while taking driver's training, I mentioned to the instructor that there was an old Ford pickup in that barn over there and I was going to buy it and fix it up. Unknown to me, he was a collector/seller and he went out and bought the pickup within a week. I later learned he had a buyer in a town 30 miles away and made $100.00 on the deal.
I was in college when my mother sent me a letter to tell me August had died. I still remember the empty feeling as I sat on my dorm room bed when I read the news of his passing. It took till I was almost 40 to finally buy my own '28 pickup and fit it up. I keep the one picture I have of August in my photo album of the pickup's restoration.
Good Memories!
Dave in MN
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #106
cardoza

it was Just a coincidence, A "friend" needed some money to pay taxes and gave the car to me as a collateral...it has been 7 years...and he never came back!!! so I am into it now
($6000).. some taxes!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #107
700rpm

I'm 65. My dad sold his last Model A in 1955 when I was 10, and I didn't get to vote on the sale. I loved that car, even at 10 years old! Six years later I bought my first Model A, a 1929 Tudor, which I still have. I've owned many A's since then, but I have never let the Tudor go. It owns me, now.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #108
'29wagon

'ooh that's a good one.
I'd been restoring a 1947 willys jeep and really enjoy the low compression.
I work on this hobby at a friends house who is a retired machinist and is into hit and miss engines, actual equipment. I came across this station wagon to restore and ran it buy him to see if it'd be alright to park it at his place a while, he said bring it in.
Then I learned he had over twenty of them at one time. So I work on it before and after work and on weekends, when I'm not reading what you guys have to say.
This car really get some stories told.
not yet drivable but here I am .
Thanks Barn.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #109
Scott Owens

About 7 years ago, my grandmother made the statement that before she died, she wanting to drive a tractor, and a Model A. I began looking for one. When I found my 28 Tudor, I didn't let her know about my project. About half way through, I let her in on the secret. I worked day and night to complete the car within a year, and take her for a ride on her next birthday. On her birthday, everyone gathered at my parents home and I came pulling up, blowing the Ahooga horn, and enjoying her smiles. She got in that car and drove it like she had been driving one for all of her 86 years. I have added to my car collection since then, and took her out in T's and A's. We both enjoyed every minute. She passed away this past April, and I cherish the memories of our rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0818.jpg (104.9 KB, 44 views)
Scott Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #110
CarlG

I bought my first Model A when I was 14. It was one that my dad had owned several years earlier and had sold it when we moved. It was a 31 Ambulance. I had a little trouble finding it, but it was the exact one I wanted. (Paid $45 for it) I had it for several years and then bought a hulk of a 31 fordor and more or less canabalized the ambulance to make a good car out of the fordor. Sold the fordor when I was 18, and a Model A wasn't "cool" for a senior in High School. Fast Forward 50 years. This past February I bought a late 31 pickup. Just taking up where I left off 50 years ago. This one isn't for sale!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #111
pooch

I always had a soft spot for fords.

My first car was a 39 fordor deluxe.

My first vintage car was a 28 plymouth tourer.

The plymouth is a far better car mechanically than the A model, but the A model has styling and history.

Ford goes back to 1896, but the first 1928 plymouth had hydraulic brakes, light steering, concealed door hinges, full pressure lubrication, adjustable camping body front seat, electric wiper, modern front styling (for 1928...slim radiator cowl and flowing body lines like a 30 ford).

But the overall style of the A model has class and it sounds great.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #112
steve s

When in high school I got the bug to get an old car of the twenties or thirties era. I just thought they really looked cool. During summer between junior/senior years I took a summer course in forestry at Mich. Tech. and saw a '29 Plymouth for sale I tried to talk my dad into funding for me, thinking I would drive it home to Warren from Houghton. He avoided the most foolish par of the plan, saying if I wanted a car of that era I should get a Model A because parts would be more available. I vaguely understood he had a soft spot for Model A's from his own youth. I held him to it, and the following winter (1960) I saw a 29 town sedan for sale for $200 across town. That's the car in my avatar.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #113
Thom IV

Back when I was in high school, I traded a 30 Chev coupe for a 30 Model a tudor. Sold it when I went into the service. Have always wanted another Model A. In 2000 I bought a 31 pick up. Ten years later I sold the pickup and bought a roadster. For an antique auto a model A is unbeatable. Many parts (used and repo's) are available, so you can keeep it running.
Thom IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #114
dave in australia

My start in A's was genetic. My dads first car was an A and he still has that. My first car was an A and I will finish restoring it one day. I've just purchased my fourth A, a 29 tudor, but the difference with this one is it is already on the road as a driver. I just have to keep the maintenance up and not decide to garage it and restore it. My other three A's are another tudor, although it's a 28, a 29 special coupe and my first A which is a 29 type 304 well side utility. The ute body was made in Australia for Ford and sold through their dealerships, it's similar to the pick-up except the tray and cab sides are one piece.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #115
TedG

Like Dan Baron I also built lots of models when I was younger. I always wanted a Street Rod, after being into motorcycles and building Choppers back in the 70's (long before it was acceptable) I got married, built a house and finally reached a point in life where I was ready to build a car. Origianlly looking for a '34 Tudor I went all over trying to find a suitable starting point with no luck. I stumbled on a '35 Chevy Sedan which at the time wasn't too desirable, it was basically a rusted body sitting on a hacked up frame but since the price was right and it came with a good title that's the one I settled on. The car in my avatar is the final result.

Fastforward 15yrs, a good friend approaches me and asks me if I'd be willing to assemble a '29 Sport Coupe he's thinking about buying. Turns out he always wanted a restored Model A and though he's owned a few none of them ever got finished, said he always liked the way my car turned out, I'd had the bug to build another car so I agreed.

The more I get into the research and how much engineering it seems to have taken to make the A simple the more it intrigues me. So here I am reading, learnig and feeling like I'm back in school again, thank God for the internet and Ford Barn, I can only imagine what it must have been like to do a restoration 30yrs ago.

I'll always like Street Rods but one day I may also have an A parked next to mine, I do wish they had more legroom though.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #116
John LaVoy

In the summer of 1961 I got a Model T, drove it all summer, figured out you couldn't go very fast or very far so I traded it off for a newer car a 1929 coupe!
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #117
SGT in Ont.

I was looking for parts for a 51 Dodge 36 years ago in the back field at a farm, when my Dad and I saw something shining through a clump of Cedar trees at the edge of the field. Went in to investigate and found a 30 Tudor. Went to ask if it was for sale. It was the fellows son's car. Went and found the son at his house, made the deal, brought the car home and been hooked ever since. I was 16 at the time.
SGT in Ont. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #118
Peter J

My uncle had a 30 pickup that I learned to drive in the 50's. Had my 31 coupe in HS and college 62/65 and eventually had to sell it. Missed having one ever since. Finally got my 29 earlier this year. Like coming home.
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #119
Jim Brierley

I was born in '37, and a Model B coupe was the family car, my seat was the package shelf. It was cool, I had my own roll-down window! What really hooked me was when I was 13 or 14 my brother took me to see a friends T roadster with a 2-port Riley under the hood, oops, no hood. I thought that was the neatest looking engine that I have ever seen. Later at the drag races the banger guys were friendly, the others were not. I've always been into performance bangers, but enjoy the stockers too.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #120
Jason in TX

I like your comment Jim about "the banger guys were friendly, the others were not" It gets a little old to me sometimes that the hot rod shows consist of sitting next to a parked fast car in your lawn chair never driving and complaining about everyone else's static display.

I'd much rather be sitting IN the stock (ok... modified stock) banger powered car and GOING places with friendly people. Seems like a no brainer.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote