Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #101
Tinker

Default Re: Afraid to post barners...

First off, thank you for all the help throughout the years guys.

Nobody should be afraid to post. Nobody is perfect. I've posted on questions, that have gone unanswered for a day, with an answer that I thought might not be totally 100% correct... note I also say "I believe or I'm not totally sure, but...". That usually gets the ball rolling, either by being corrected of some aspects i posted:] or it levitates the perceived fear of being first to answer, which maybe leaving this question unanswered. I usually learn something new by the end of it too.

On the hamb I've helped some guys that contacted me through PMs with great results and I've used PMs to be helped on projects. If too many people answer a question it can get confusing and not very helpful, especially if they are all over the place with the answers and fighting between opinions. If between PMs we fix the issue, I will ask them to go back and post what worked and how they fixed it. It helps to keep the same question from popping up over and over again.

I'm not a shy guy and can take some criticism too. No need to fear here.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-13-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: edit content & spelling
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #102
Classiccanuck

never an issue here, I'm new at this and found this site a great help and great people willing to guide you.
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #103
binkbee

Just pick out about a half dozen of the more informed individuals in the site and "acquire" their personal email address and you can be assured that you will get all the necessary help & info you need and it's a whole lot more satisfying in the process! Just send them a note through the Barn contact and explain why---You'll get a reply! Bill
binkbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #104
Steve Plucker
BANNED

My God...I did not think this thread would go virial!

But hope a bunch of us got some weight off your shoulders.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #105
zzlegend

One more weight. I remember a while back about posting on a thread about the Portland swap meet and stated I might ride my Harley up there weather permitting since I already had a friend with a truck and trailer up there to haul things. And someone posted
"Now how are or were you going to haul all those Model A parts back to California on a Harley?"
Wonder who that was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hummmmmmmmmmmmm.
So I see no need to post much any more and just mainly read other post.
Just my 2 cents. Nice warm day here in Calif today.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #106
TnA

for some questions, this is the top forum. however when a post asking about making wood components, for the famous model A appears. this forum is usless. all one got from this forum was a crackpot question posed back. why would anyone want to make their own components when they can buy them. so and so sells them....very helpful? not for the guy wanting info on building his model A .
TnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #107
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnA View Post
for some questions, this is the top forum. however when a post asking about making wood components, for the famous model A appears. this forum is usless. all one got from this forum was a crackpot question posed back. why would anyone want to make their own components when they can buy them. so and so sells them....very helpful? not for the guy wanting info on building his model A .
No blueprints are around for the wood, so no one can be of much help. I looked at my friend's 1930 Murray Town Sedan that had a complete new wood kit put in, and I don't see how anyone could make there own unless you had good original pieces in fornt of you to copy.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #108
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
The wood only plans that I've seen are for the floorboards.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #109
karasmer

If you think your pretty sure you have an answer to a question please comment on the forum not PM's that way the answers stay public to compare with other answers when doing searches and who knows you might learn something. I just spent 3 hours changing a serpentine belt after watching Youtube videos and checking out a few forums only to find out they were (all) wrong it only takes about 1-2 minutes with no swearing involved.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #110
Terry,NJ

For wood questions, I will take a shot at answering. This is only because I'm trying to make SOME of my wood for my 30 Town Sedan. I, too, tried to get plans the wood and I found out the the Ford co will sell duplicates at $25 a sheet. As Tom said, Making wood is just guess work if you don't have the old wood for a pattern. For one piece of the belt rail, I had to establish center and work everything off the center line. Difficult, but not impossible. Ash is the preferred wood. Another FBer had a print of a wood part and it gave the tolerances were Plus or minus .010, Rather tight!. I hope you didn't throw your old wood scraps and pieces away. Any questions you may have, just email me and I'll try to answer them.
Terry

Quote:
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #111
Purdy Swoft

We are mostly interested in the mechanical aspects. I would rather buy the wood parts. I built my house and other buildings and can do some woodwork. The only wood parts that I make myself are the ones that are not available or I can't find . No wood plans are available , that I know of except for the floor boards. The times that I've had to make wood parts, I used the old parts, whatever was left as a pattern with trial and error for fitting.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #112
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
The wood only plans that I've seen are for the floorboards.
And if you belong to the International Model A Victoria Association, the Vicky.

But back to the original thread,

If one keeps in mind that this site, as the owner has said, is for the restoration of the Model A sometimes a thread about modifications based on incorrect information will be met by less than enthusiastic responses. With that said there are MANY here with knowledge that goes WAY beyond stock, and MANY times non stock queries are answered right here on this site.

As we are not meeting in person ask away. Maybe it will be answered here, maybe additional information will come by pointing you elsewhere. You will NEVER EVER be banned for asking a question. Answers/comments yes, questions never.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 12-16-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote