Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Gas Tank Rust - MMO, 2 Cycle Oil

Hope I am not opening a can of worms .

Met a guy in his 80s yesterday, turned out he has been driving As since he was old enough to drive. Our conversation turned to rust in gas tanks.

He mentioned his advice was to get as much of the rust out of the tank as possible. Then run either Marvel Mystery Oil or 2 cycle oil in the gas. Adding either would either completely stop or really slow down further rusting inside the tank, by slightly coating the inside of the tank and keeping air from the rusting process.

There probably is no way to positively prove his claims. Adding to the gas will cause no harm.

Think he has a valid point?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
37 Coupe

Default Re: Gas Tank Rust - MMO, 2 Cycle Oil

Yes.that is why its first name is Marvel,derived from the word marvelous.Aptly named by turn of the century seamstresses in sweat shops who liked the smell of the sewing machine oil ."That marvelous oil"I think it is marvelous in my '37 Ford tank,something needs to nullify the ethanol issues .
Old 10-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
rfitzpatrick

When asked what was in the machine oil; "It's A Mystery"
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Ok, lets play this game for a moment. When you want to clean grease or oil from something, what is one of the best degreasers to use? You guessed it, ...gasoline. So, at what strength ratio of MMO vs. Gasoline do you feel would be enough to overcome the degreasing action of the gasoline?

So the next question I would have is when you have rust inside the tank, generally where is it located? Most will say it is the bottom (floor) of the tank however when we cut them open, we generally always find it is the roof of the tank that is mostly rusted and not the floor as much. So when the tank is full of fuel, I can see where it has a slim chance of coating the roof metal with the MMO however as soon as the fuel level drops when the engine is consuming it, you have exposed sheetmetal again. When bare metal gets exposed to oxygen, we all know what happens.

Oh by the way, have you ever thought about what additives these fuel companies brag about putting in the fuel?? I think their word is 'Oxygenizers". Sounds like the perfect mix for forming rust, ...even if the sheetmetal is fully submerged with fuel. Just some food for thought....

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Thanks Brent. Great info. I have commented with my opinions below.

Ok, lets play this game for a moment. When you want to clean grease or oil from something, what is one of the best degreasers to use? You guessed it, ...gasoline. So, at what strength ratio of MMO vs. Gasoline do you feel would be enough to overcome the degreasing action of the gasoline?
- Good point, I suppose even the fumes would cut the effectiveness of MMO/2 cycle oil in the portion of the gas tank not covered with Gas.

So the next question I would have is when you have rust inside the tank, generally where is it located? Most will say it is the bottom (floor) of the tank however when we cut them open, we generally always find it is the roof of the tank that is mostly rusted and not the floor as much. So when the tank is full of fuel, I can see where it has a slim chance of coating the roof metal with the MMO however as soon as the fuel level drops when the engine is consuming it, you have exposed sheetmetal again. When bare metal gets exposed to oxygen, we all know what happens.

- I suggest then that also as the fuel drops and gas is sloshing around it would have a tendency to rinse/remove MMO/2 cycle back into the fuel, then again it might recoat. Also evidently when fuel/water covers metal in the tank, there must be less oxygen for rust formation in the water (H2O) available, than when the tank is uncovered but saturated in gas fumes with condensation.

So from your observations the bigger gas tank rust issue is not so much water/ethanol in the gas, but condensation?

Oh by the way, have you ever thought about what additives these fuel companies brag about putting in the fuel?? I think their word is 'Oxygenizers". Sounds like the perfect mix for forming rust, ...even if the sheetmetal is fully submerged with fuel. Just some food for thought....

- Again as above, perhaps not as much as a possible rust issue as condensation, more of an issue with water getting into filters/carb.

Seems like for rust in the tank is a personal preference - probably will not hurt anything but may help, no way to logically easy prove or disapprove. unless someone can provide documentation of testing results.

Comments above

30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
All I can say is, since I started using MMO several years ago I became a firm believer in the stuff. Used to get a stuck valve in the Flathead, not no-more

The old cars run great with it in the gas tank. I'll keep using it. Just bought a gallon jug at Farm and Fleet.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Hope I am not opening a can of worms .

Met a guy in his 80s yesterday, turned out he has been driving As since he was old enough to drive. Our conversation turned to rust in gas tanks.

He mentioned his advice was to get as much of the rust out of the tank as possible. Then run either Marvel Mystery Oil or 2 cycle oil in the gas. Adding either would either completely stop or really slow down further rusting inside the tank, by slightly coating the inside of the tank and keeping air from the rusting process.

There probably is no way to positively prove his claims. Adding to the gas will cause no harm.

Think he has a valid point?
This is not a can of worms, but it provides one more band-aide approach to fixing a gas tank rust problem that basically gives the owner something to do while deciding if the right thing should be done, which is remove the tank, get it cleaned out and coating it and fixing it properly. MMO does some good things well but this is not one of them!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #8
eagle

I think the best thing to do to keep the tank as nice as possible is to fill the tank full with non-ethanol gas for the winter. A half empty gas tank will develop a lot of water over the winter due to condensation. Also use a replaceable fuel filter.