Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #21
Neil Wilson

Default Re: '29 CCPU seat shopping - what do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa's CCPU View Post
Neil, I have contacted you in the past regarding my 82-A cab....I am now getting things going and this thread thankfully stopped me in my tracks before ordering seat cover materials.....
Would you consider as Tom mentioned in post #12 that Classtique makes a closer to original set of covers????

Have contacted them but they have no images available showing there finished product... Any help appreciated Thanks, Mike

The covers need to have a cord sewn around the bottom of the skirts so that they can be crimped into the channel around the lower edge of the springs. This is the way Ford did the installation. I used a local shop to make the covers and installed them my self. The result was not great for this first attempt.

Attached is a photo showing an installed cover. I will send your the photo folder if you email [email protected].

Vendors simply install the covers by wrapping them under the spring and use hog rings to hold them in place.

With a corded cover, the skirt must be the correct length to allow the spring to be compressed while the cord is crimped into the channel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xIMG_5563.jpg (26.6 KB, 37 views)

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #22
wrndln

Neil,
Have you figured out how to crimp the bead into the bottom channel so the metal channel looks smooth when done? I have seen some so so crimping jobs. Marco did Dave Lopes Henry awarded 28 phaeton and it look real good. I ask him once how he did it, but I either didn't get a reply or I forgot what he said.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #23
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Neil,
Have you figured out how to crimp the bead into the bottom channel so the metal channel looks smooth when done? I have seen some so so crimping jobs. Marco did Dave Lopes Henry awarded 28 phaeton and it look real good. I ask him once how he did it, but I either didn't get a reply or I forgot what he said.
Rusty Nelson

I made a crimping tool (pliers with 2-1/2" wide surface). I crimped the channel a little at a time. Original crimped channels don't look that great.

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote