Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #1
Detroit Flathead

Default Flathead and/or Fordomatic Rebuilders in Detroit Area

Hello All,

I'm considering having my 8BA Flathead and Fordomatic rebuilt in the future, so I thought I'd inquire here to see if there are suggestions for where I should have this done. I'd prefer to take either of them to a place with experience rebuilding these. If you have a recommendation for a good transmission shop or engine shop, please let me know.

I'm in the Detroit area, and I'd consider anywhere within a few hour drive of Southeast Michigan.

Thanks for your help.
Detroit Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #2
justpassinthru

Default Re: Flathead and/or Fordomatic Rebuilders in Detroit Area

Cant think of anyone in the Michigan area that specializes in vintage transmissions for Ford, off the top of my head.

If you are willing to drive to Chicago area, I specialize in vintage transmission service and repair. I have been in business for over 40 years in the same location.

We only service and repair vintage automobiles, with transmission restoration being the specialty.

Transmissions are painstakingly cleaned, external components media blasted, steel parts painted, aluminum parts left natural.

You can see some examples on my website: procarhotrods.com
I am also justpassinthru on the Hamb.

Here is a 1963 Small Case Cruisomatic I just finished up yesterday. A little more modern than your's, but very similar.

Bill
Pro/Car inc.
9139 S. Kedzie Ave.
Evergreen Park, IL 60805
(708) 499-0710
7:30-4:30 M-F (central Time)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small_DSCN5112.JPG (73.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg small_DSCN5114.JPG (71.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-27-2022, 08:54 AM   #3
Detroit Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassinthru View Post
If you are willing to drive to Chicago area, I specialize in vintage transmission service and repair. I have been in business for over 40 years in the same location.

We only service and repair vintage automobiles, with transmission restoration being the specialty.

Transmissions are painstakingly cleaned, external components media blasted, steel parts painted, aluminum parts left natural.

Bill
Pro/Car inc.
9139 S. Kedzie Ave.
Evergreen Park, IL 60805
(708) 499-0710
7:30-4:30 M-F (central Time)
Thanks for the reply. Your transmission rebuilds looks great. I'll definitely keep you in mind. I lived in Chicago for many years and I always enjoy a trip to visit again.
Detroit Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
rotorwrench

There are likely only a few people left that specialize in the early Ford-O-Matics. The Cruise-O-Matic like the post 1961& later versions in the photos on post #2 were vacuum modulator controlled. The early ones were all throttle valve controlled and many were still air cooled types. I learned how to do them out of necessity due to my love of old Fords but hard parts are getting harder to find every year. I purchased a lot of the old Ford-O and Merc-O-Matic transmission factory manuals and already had all the old Motors Manuals back to 1935. Chassis parts manuals are a must as well.

Some of the later parts can be retorofit but not all that many. A lot depends on the year model of transmission that needs the work. Cast iron cases like to crack due to folks getting stuck in the mud and hammering from low to reverse and back. The big torque converters have big o-rings that are getting hard to source. The bronze frictions and steels were not all that bad in service but if the clutch ever starts slipping then they will end up in the bottom of the oil pan. A person has to look for the best replacements that they can find and that can be tricky with different thickness needs for build up. Bands can be relined. Bad drums and other hard parts can be a problematic when looking for parts.

Any good transmission man can overhaul one but the information may not be around unless it's an older shop with a good reputation. Tricks of the trade have been forgotten or never learned by many. It's been a long time since these transmissions were common.

The 55 thru 57 T-birds have been keeping some of the old stuff available even if they did go to the medium case in 1956. Most of the folks doing the old ones work on the T-bird stuff.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-27-2022 at 12:07 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #5
Newc

Story- My 53 needed three cores to find a good one [Mercomatic used] The pumps run in the iron cases and any wear is a problem. Found an old time mechanic also. Scrappers are getting the transmissions too. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #6
KiWinUS

Brother’s auto in Detroit will hook you up.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:19 AM   #7
flathead4rd

Call Shadow Rods in Saginaw, MIch. 989-754-1927 Their the ones that built the Aluminum block flathead with the late Mark Kirby. They might have some good leads for you.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote