Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2022, 09:35 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Weird hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp View Post
I suspect that the "Model T" crowd was having these same thoughts and conversations in the 60s and 70s about those youngster Flathead V8 car people and the stupid crazy money those 32 Ford's commanded.

Here is my 66 21 window as found and finished. It went to California 20+ years ago and I had a down payment on a house.

Patrick

Let's not forget the even more elusive "23" - window VW van.

In 2017, a 1960 23-window VW bus, similarly attractive, fetched a whopping $207,200 at an RM Sotheby’s auction in New York. That same year, a 1965 example, heavily updated, went for more than $300,000 at Barrett-Jackson.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:38 PM   #22
cas3

The old VW craze is going strong. My neighbor owns dune buggy supply, in Norwood Mn.
Thats a new location, and when he moved in about 6 years ago the neighboring car repair joint laughed when he introduced himself and stated the business was strictly air cooled bugs. Well, thru the scamdemic and the current economic crash his business is booming, and the joint next door has laid off half its mechanics. 25k for any bus or clean bug now days
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #23
Tim Ayers

As a former Bug owner, I get it to some extent. They are easy to work on and reliable to a fault. The prices? I guess it just goes to show it hard to judge where the market will go next.

It is amazing to me that people will pay so much to go so slow.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:56 PM   #24
Robert/Texas

I bought a new '59 VW in Saarbrucken, 3 months before my discharge date from the army. It cost me $1143 plus $50 for the army to ship it to Fort Hamilton, NY. I drove the car to Houston in 2 days. I wonder what that car would be worth today.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #25
Ray in La Mesa

Bought my '70 VW van in England new while in the army, put 36,000 miles on it in two years in Germany. Came home to San Diego & now have 287,000 miles on it. Original engine was sold at 103,000 to put in a '69 six cylinder 911 Porsche engine. Still runs great on second rebuild but the VW wiring has gone away & 1/2 the electrical stuff gave up the ghost. Don't know what it may be worth but I'm not selling it anyway.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #26
itslow

Not really sure why this is a surprise. More windows = more dollars.

Various models of 60s era cars have commanded higher values than early V8 Fords for a fair number of years now.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:44 AM   #27
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
It is amazing to me that people will pay so much to go so slow.
When I was in high school in 1978, a 400 cid TransAm made roughly 200 hp. The muscle car had been strangled to death a few years earlier.

15 years ago I bought a 5sp, V8 Mustang GT convertible with 300 hp fully intending to add a high end supercharger. Never did. It's so fast already I couldn't figure out what to do with more hp. Still have the car, love it.

A year ago I bought a stock '41 Ford flathead coupe. Working on hopping it up to get maybe 95 hp. Driving it on Interstate 5 ('the 5') in southern California is a white knuckle experience. 60 mph is OK; 70 mph feels like cheating death.

Right now I'm admiring the '60's Volkswagens. I guess I'll pay whatever it takes to go slow.

Last edited by SoCalCoupe; 10-02-2022 at 01:02 AM.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:02 AM   #28
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoupe View Post
When I was in high school in 1978, a 400 cid TransAm made roughly 200 hp. The muscle car had been strangled to death a few years earlier.

15 years ago I bought a 5sp, V8 Mustang GT convertible with 300 hp fully intending to add a high end supercharger. Never did. It's so fast already I couldn't figure out what to do with more hp. Still have the car, love it.

A year ago I bought a stock '41 Ford flathead coupe. Working on hopping it up to get maybe 95 hp. Driving it on Interstate 5 ('the 5') in southern California is a white knuckle experience. 60 mph is OK; 70 mph feels like cheating death.

Right now I'm admiring the '60's Volkswagens. I guess I'll pay whatever it takes to go slow.
Haha. Well since you seem like the dare devil type, get yourself an early stock, single port 40 hp VW and you'll feel like your trying to avoid death from being rear ended driving on the CA freeways.

I really love VW's, but the early ones, especially buses go no where fast.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:30 AM   #29
RalphM

My Dad was always a Ford and Mercury guy. In the 70’s when gas was tight, and he was trying to save to start his own buisness, he bought a used 60’s bug. He Was driving it on the highway and a big gust of wind almost blew him in the oncoming traffic lane.
He sold the bug right after that!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:34 PM   #30
A bones

Unrelated to original post, but since we're just talking out the VW charms here goes.
Foremost in mind, a new '71 Westfalia camper was home for a tad more than 3 months.
We managed to visit fifteen countries, roughly 14,000 mi.
In '57 my Aunt purchased a new bug for 7 or 8 hundred bucks.
My big news tho, is I had a book ( lost to water damage ) that told of Edsel traveling to Germany, in '33, to talk shop with the Germans. He took with him, and left some creative drawings of possible auto advances.
Viewing the illustrations showed an advanced streamline such as the Chrys. Airflow. The look was a standard full sized sedan with the shape and line details of that of the Beetle.
The jolt to my mind was that the power came from a rear mounted engine with swing arm transaxle.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:08 PM   #31
Clem Clement

We had a Westfalla while stationed in Germany. Loved traveling and parking for the night anywhere, including center of Paris. when it came time to come back stateside, the little quiet voice inside of me pointed out the desistance from the front bumper and my driving legs wall nil. She stayed in Deutschland.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote