Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2022, 03:01 PM   #1
kurt v

Default 1940 gas gauge sending unite

Where would be the best place to get one, one that is trouble free, i've a drake tank ?
thanks kurt
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 1940 gas gauge sending unite

Unless you are going to change your gauge, you need to use the original King Seeley brand sending unit. Most 6V positive ground King Seeley sending units can be used in the Drake tank if you buy the adapter ring that changes the mounting bolt holes and the float arm is adjusted. The original 40 gauge works on FREQUENCY, NOT VOLTAGE OR OHMS. The KS sending unit supplies the FREQUENCY due to the points inside the unit that changes frequency as the float arm goes up and down. I have posted a chart in my MISC photo folder that shows how to adjust the float arm. This was in a box with a Ford supplied NOS sending unit head with these instructions for all the 6V systems up to 56. Most non working used KS tank units can be fixed by cleaning the points that are under the cap that can be pried off. I have fixed MANY that way.

Anyone wanting this chart to print, PM me your email address and I will send it to you as a PDF file. The black lines are where it was folded to fit in the box.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 09-27-2022 at 03:46 PM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:32 PM   #3
kurt v

The sending unite is a drake i would say came with the tank (other owner) so i have to deal with that. Can i find an org sender some place or have to try to deal with the repos ?Their out there (repos) but what's the point if they are a problem ?
Old 09-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #4
19Fordy

Pay attention to deuce roadster. He is 100% correct. KS units will not function on 12V so if your car has been converted to 12V you will need to reduce the input voltage to your gauges to 6V with a Constant Voltage Reducer. This has been explained on the Fordbarn SEARCH. DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONET ON REPROS that claim to work on 6 or 12V. Yes, they work, but not accurately as they are not compatible with the stock Ford 6V gauge because KS units don't work on OHMs Principle.

It is getting very hard to find the old 6V KS sending units and if you find one it's EXPENSIVE.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #5
kurt v

never said my car was 12 volt, it's 6 volt, understand what duce said , you got a KS to sell me that would help a lot.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:12 PM   #6
19Fordy

Ouch!
Yes, I have about 4 of them but, they are not guaranteed to work. Keep your eye on Ebay and HAMB. I have found that you can use a 1940 to 1953 Ford or Mercury sender if you modify the float arm and fine tune it from within by turning the star wheel and carefully cleaning the points.

Read everything about gas tank sending units in this SEARCH and you may just be able to contact someone who has a good working unit.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...6&pp=25&page=2

DENNIS CARPENTER claims his will work with the OEM gauge BUT I doubt it. GOOD LUCK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR0pGVRc8R8

Last edited by 19Fordy; 09-27-2022 at 08:35 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote