Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2022, 07:49 PM   #21
mistyreiny1

Default Re: 31 roadster brewster green

This has nothing to do with model A’s, but everything to do with my AA. In the early 1980’s, Perkins diesels were dropped into Ford Rangers at the factories. Looking into it briefly, I paraphrase this other person also seeking more information on that topic. They *knew* that only 180-200 of these a Rangers were produced between 82-84. They lacked a source for their information, and sought both more information and confirmation on what they heard.
If you know Perkins engines, they aren’t a street engine. Off road and yard use only. Massey Ferguson lawn Tractors, bulldozers, excavators, the like. Back to my AA. I want to buy this 82 Perkins ranger in New Jersey, but I have had this AA in restoration limbo going on ten years soon. Anyone see the beginning of collecting half done abandoned projects? I just completed my bachelor degree two months ago, took me 12 years. I want to keep this momentum of completing projects going.
mistyreiny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:26 PM   #22
mistyreiny1

If anyone knows anything about Perkins. Am I wrong when I summarize them as the god of durability and endurance for non road use?
Old 09-19-2022, 03:40 AM   #23
ronn

OK so I have that blue green color on two of my cars- 30 roadster and 35 phaeton. the phaeton appears to be original paint and the closest thing to "teal" that year is paisley blue. Definitely nowhere near brewster green. My model A was repainted, so cant say that the color on it is correct, but appears teal like OPs car.
Interesting fact that it was pointed out that blue is actually in brewster green, because it doesnt look blue at all to the eye.
Green is a primary color and my first thought is blue and yellow would make green, but it doesnt at all.
clear as mud...........

Last edited by ronn; 09-19-2022 at 03:46 AM.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #24
mistyreiny1

Wrong. Green is NOT a primary color. Technically speaking, it’s a secondary color, but who cares. Point is, green is made by mixing blue and yellow. Your primary are RYB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3AFF3C2D-3504-4F96-92E6-5D34A249B8C1.jpg (6.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-21-2022, 07:28 PM   #25
mistyreiny1

Either way, my paint book from brattons just came in. Has paint chips of all the stock vehicles, I think, haven’t looked through it thoroughly yet.
My hopes are with this book, I can positively identify the colors I am seeing on my AA, instead of ‘I think it’s Brewster green.’
Old 09-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #26
mistyreiny1

Looking at my book. My truck could be a ‘rock moss green’. RMG vs Brewster, without having a paint chip on hand, the two seem so close it would take a trained eye to see the difference.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #27
mistyreiny1

Paint charts

https://hdpaintcode.com/ford-model-a/
Old 09-21-2022, 08:01 PM   #28
mistyreiny1

https://hdpaintcode.com/ford-model-a/
Old 09-22-2022, 06:35 PM   #29
ronn

In settings in which light is projected directly at the viewer, e.g. computer monitors and television, the primaries are red, green and blue.

as I mentioned- as clear as mud.......
Old 09-25-2022, 09:27 AM   #30
gdmn852

As mentioned, standard truck color was rock moss green, pinstripes and buffing for gloss were extra cost . Trucks were not the status symbol they are today.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 12:34 PM   #31
ronn

interesting point you make gd, many of the paint jobs today would be considered over restored. A little orange peel seems more accurate, at least on the bodies and bed.
yes fenders were dipped, but spraying was a relatively new art form in 1928-31.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:39 PM   #32
mistyreiny1

I can say hands down, my AA had no pinstriping. When I looked at the my ‘paint chips’, today. They are from Brattons Model A & AA Paint and Finish guide. https://www.brattons.com/MODEL-A-FOR...uctinfo/37530/

I looked through the first couple pages of paint ‘chips’. The chips are more of quarter page, 4 stripes per page, width wise, of the paint colors. The picture on that webpage is far outdated. Here is the picture of that book I just bought.

After comparing my truck’s stakebed frame to the colors, it’s certainly not the Brewster green I thought it was. Bonnie Gray is by far the closest of the first 3 pages, 12 colors. Of those twelve colors, it included Brewster green. I’ll take a second look come daylight hours again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C770343A-A58E-4272-8A75-1E640B1130DA.jpg (73.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by mistyreiny1; 09-26-2022 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:48 PM   #33
mistyreiny1

Bonnie gray is almost a green itself. Granted none of these tudors represent my AA, just look at the color and tell me I wouldn’t have mistaken it for green.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:49 AM   #34
mistyreiny1

Granted I took a second look at the book. I still have 16 more pages of 4 colors per page to look through. Good chance my decision the AA being Bonnie Gray is going to change in the next 60 colors.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:06 AM   #35
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
interesting point you make gd, many of the paint jobs today would be considered over restored. A little orange peel seems more accurate, at least on the bodies and bed.
yes fenders were dipped, but spraying was a relatively new art form in 1928-31.
Ummm, I dunno Ronn. Pictures kinda show differently.

To begin with, 'orange peel' is generally caused by a spray gun that is improperly set, and/or poor technique by the painter. It is generally caused by trapped air in a thicker paint mixture. Because the paint foremen were experienced, the DeVilbiss spray guns were likely set to optimum spray patterns, the paint mixture of solvents and paint were likely optimal also, and the painters knew the best techniques due to practice and experience.

Additionally, Pyroxilyn is was very thin to begin with, so the mil thickness wasn't there. Once the paint was sprayed and allowed to flash, a hot solvent (i.e.: Lacquer thinner) was sprayed over the top of the fresh paint which melted and flowed the outer surface of the topcoat. The only difference between standard passenger car painting procedures and commercial applications was the post-paint sanding and rubbing to achieve a shine.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:39 PM   #36
ronn

So Brent,

your opinion is that the paint quality was similar to what most paint jobs are. today?
I dont doubt your expertise at all, but do find that hard to believe.. It was only a few yrs before the model A was built, that most manufacturers brush painted the cars.

Interestingly enough, 30 yrs ago I walked into a Porsche dealership and looked at a brand new 944. My buddy just came home from shipping and we were out doing a tour of a few dealerships. I mentioned to him how badly the peel was in the rear quarter of the new 944 and the salesman overheard me and said- what do you expect for a mere 44k?

we both still joke about that till this day.....what a terrible response......