Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
waldo

Default Model A VIN number

I have read conflicting stories about location of number. Engine number series dictates year made. Are there any numbers stamped on the frame and if so, what is the location? I have a couple of sand blasted frames and can find nothing. Thanks for the help in advance.
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Model A VIN number

The engines were built and tested and if they passed they were stamped with a serial number. With this serial number you can find out what day your engine was built. Click here for Bob Johnsons site. The engines were lined up on the assembly line. As much as 3 months after being built they were placed on a frame. The frame was then stamped with the same number as the engine. More detail on engine production can be found on Steve Plucker's site here.
This is from Jim Masons site

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-15-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Aerocraft

When the engines were dropped in the chassis, the engine number was stamped on the upper surface of the left hand (drivers side) of the frame in an area just aft of where the firewall foot attaches. It can not be seen with the splash apron and body installed.
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
90ANDCOUNTING

I've looked and can find no VIN on the frame of my '31 A. Also, the engine number doesn't correspond with any I've seen in any list and was once told that the engine had been rebuilt at the old Long Beach, CA Ford plant and new numbers stamped for some reason. I like driving the old car that I bought in 1955 and paid $55.00 for. Drove it to work for years, my son drove it while in school and now it sits in it's regal spot in the garage only to be driven now and then, and is getting a well deserved rest. Still a good old car though that brings me down to earth after driving our new family car. Still draws a lot of attention.
90ANDCOUNTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90ANDCOUNTING View Post
I've looked and can find no VIN on the frame of my '31 A. Also, the engine number doesn't correspond with any I've seen in any list and was once told that the engine had been rebuilt at the old Long Beach, CA Ford plant and new numbers stamped for some reason. I like driving the old car that I bought in 1955 and paid $55.00 for. Drove it to work for years, my son drove it while in school and now it sits in it's regal spot in the garage only to be driven now and then, and is getting a well deserved rest. Still a good old car though that brings me down to earth after driving our new family car. Still draws a lot of attention.
did you remove the sheet metal?
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90ANDCOUNTING View Post

Canadian built chassis did not have the number on the frame. What is the number that is on the engine?
Old 06-09-2015, 01:30 AM   #7
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

90andcounting,

There was a motor re-builder in Long Beach, that would grind off the original motor numbers and re-stamp their own number that started with LB (for Long Beach).

I've encountered several motors that have that type number.

Does your motor number start with an LB?
Regards, Neil
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
bigblockmitch

Has anybody ever come across a 1930 engine with no letter prefix and first 4 numbers are 1930?
I looked it up in the book and the 1930 sequence seems right although no A or star preceding numerical sequence.
bigblockmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockmitch View Post
Has anybody ever come across a 1930 engine with no letter prefix and first 4 numbers are 1930?
I looked it up in the book and the 1930 sequence seems right although no A or star preceding numerical sequence.
On a re-stamped engine anything is possible.