Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
forever4
BANNED

Default Whose Knowledge Is It, Anyway?

Well, I just received another personal attack on fordbarn by a person who also took the time to jab my 'Ford Garage' web site as being a collection of "other peoples information and techniques".
I imagine so.

So let me say this about that.

For the most part, everything everyone 'knows' in life (and about old Fords) came from somewhere else. It was all learned along the way on each our journey. Not a lot of it was self-taught or self-discovered in a vacuum by anyone, I imagine. And not a lot of it is a secret.

And even those things that are self-taught or self-discovered are rarely unique to a single individual. Other people have also learned and discovered the very same things on their own, or in collaboration with others. And they shared it. And they taught it. And we all are sometimes (or even often) mistaken. And so it goes.

I have learned a lot from others. My learnings are just my learnings. They may or may not be facts. They may or may not be complete or correct. And they are subject to change as soon as the next best info shows up.

I have never claimed that any of the info on my web site is all my original thinking, or that it is even correct for that matter. But it is my effort to share something I am interested in with other people who may also be interested.

And I have taken the time and expense to put some of my learnings in a public place where it is freely available for others to consider on their own journey.

Agree or disagree, right or wrong, helpful or confusing, it is there for everyone's consideration.
Or not.

Lots of people on fordbarn, and elsewhere, over the years have graciously allowed me to repost their excellent photos, descriptions, and analysis, and I have credited them as best as possible.

The point of the jab was to offend me I suppose, but I'll try not to take it that way.

At least someone is reading it and considering it, to have formed a negative opinion about it.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Whose Knowledge Is It, Anyway?

As long as one acknowledges where they received the information or at least doesn't present it as their own, I have no problem with anyones site or the information on it.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
MikeK

A personal attack on fordbarn? I would consider that recognition of your contributions to the craft.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
RockHillWill

Vince, I for one regard your website as a personal archive of great importance. I can go there and do some research without all the hastle of waiting for replies to the posts. Like Marco's , Plucks, Bob Johnsons and Jim Masons (and others I may not recall at the present time) it contains mountains of information and regarding all of the above mentioned sites, I have found little or no contradictory information at the Ford Archives. Just like here on the Fordbarn, you eventually figure out who is carrying water and who fills the bucket.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 09-07-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Bruce of MN

I agree with RockHill Will
Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I thoroughly enjoy your website and am amazed at the amount of info there, and the sacrifice of your time to provide it all to anyone who's interested. If this was a personal attack on the Barn, I would notify RYAN ASAP as he doesn't seem to put up with any of that s__t. JMO
Paul in CT
Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
MCHinson

Vince,

I have only been on this site for a short time. Sometimes it seems like this is the old wild west and there is no sheriff in town. It is my observation that there are a few folks on here that find it very easy to get into personal attack mode. Maybe it is because I just retired from a law enforcement career, but I really don't like the fighting and arguing.

Harassment, fighting and/or rude comments are a violation of the rules of this site.

Whenever that happens, it would make it easier if someone would click the "report" button on the post to bring it to the attention of the moderators. This site is so busy that the moderators obviously do not have time to read every post. If they don't see it and nobody reports it, it can quickly get out of hand.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
2manycars

I would not get to concerned about an occasional jerk making uncalled for comments on your web site. Some people need to tear down people and things that are better than themselves to feel good about themselves. Your web site is interesting and informative, and a lot of people have benefited from it. There will always be jerks who want to piss you off, or belittle your work. Let it go. We all say things that offend someone occasionally, and some will get over it, and others will lash out. Ignore them.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I thoroughly enjoy your website and am amazed at the amount of info there, and the sacrifice of your time to provide it all to anyone who's interested. If this was a personal attack on the Barn, I would notify RYAN ASAP as he doesn't seem to put up with any of that s__t. JMO
Paul in CT
I will second this. I really enjoy your website and its assemblage of information. There is no room for personal attacks here-I'd let Ryan and the Mods in on the problem.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Scott NY

I appualed people who set up websites and offer a magnitude of information that has been gathered over the years.Vince I bet the person that attacked you does not have a website offering free information to the mass. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #11
Tom H.

When we started working on our 32 AAB truck we didn't know T's from A's.
I found a lot of info online most of it good , some not so good. But the day I found the ford garage site was an enlightenment. Thanks Vince and keep up the great work.
Tom H
Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
pdora

Most of have strong feelings and opinions on a variety of topics. Learning when and where to express ourselves is a process of ongoing maturity. Some are getting there and some aren't.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

your site has been a helpfull reference for me more times than i can remember. thanks for taking the time and effort for up keeping it. i do see where you give folks credit for the material on it. if someone feels your violating there copyrighted material i am sure they would just ask you to remove it.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
gweilbaker

Default I got a comment.

Thank you!

I like the garage art too, not much reading.

GW
Old 09-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
Roger V

As with others, I also appreciate the tremendous amount of effort you have put in your website. Usually, attacks like that are from some isolated soul who does nothing for the good of others or are maybe jealous.........

Roger V
Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Ask Jim Mason about attacks. He took down his site for a while because of them.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
MAG

Vince,
Many of the books published for the repair and restoration of Model A Fords are compiled from sources of information other than the mind of the author.
I highly value your site and I don't care where the information came from.
Ignorance can be remidied; Stupid can't.
Ignorance did not attack you; Stupid did!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #18
Chris in WNC

as long as the personal attacks are a minority and the rest of us enjoy the information you organize & provide, where's the problem? let it slide like water from a duck's back and keep up the good work!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #19
30ccpickup

Thanks for creating your website. It is a place I go to learn more about my A.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
Jerry Parr WI

Vince

Keep up the good work. I will do my best to be one of the other people but am not willing to devote the time and energy you do making information readily available to others. I like many others benefit from your efforts.

Jerry
Closed Thread