Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Copra Drab update

I posted a message a week or so ago about PPG Copra Drab being the wrong color. It was way off. It was a gray instead of being brown like the Paint & Finish Guide shows. I had the paint supplier mix up a 1/2 pint of DuPont ChromaPremier single stage paint - code DS094. It turned out exactly like the color chip in the guide. I don't know why PPG doesn't fix their problem with Copra Drab, as Brent Terry said he told them they had a problem a few years ago. The paint supplier call PPG and told them the color was way off. Who knows if they will do any thing to fix the paint code. They don't seem to really care. My advice to anyone needing Copra Drab - USE DUPONT PAINT.
Rusty Nelson
Lakeville, MN
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
28 Special Coupe

Default Re: Copra Drab update

So is there a decent contrast between the Arabian Sand Dark and the correct Copra Drab? That's the color scheme I've been considering for my '28 Special Coupe. Are you happy with it or do you wish you went with a different scheme? Thanks.
28 Special Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
wrndln

I like the Arabian Sand Dark and Copra Drab combination for my 28 special coupe. Yes, there is a good contrast between the two colors when I finally got the correct color for Copra Drab. I hope I don't have to go through that again with my other model A's I am restoring - wrong color code. I chose the ASD/Copra Drab as it is kind of unique. It seems like a lot of 28's are one of the blue colors. I like blue, but I also like my car to be a little different, but still keep an original color. Good luck on your special coupe. I am nearing completion on mine. It has been a long haul almost 4 years. Doing the top was a real job and I still have the roof trim to complete.

Last edited by wrndln; 09-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I had heard for years that there were "two" Copra Drab colors. Each person swearing theirs was the right one.

Glad to see it finally settled.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
28 Special Coupe

Glad to hear that you're happy with the colors now. I'm pretty sure I'll go with that combination as well. The blue colors are nice but they're so dark that there isn't a great deal of contrast between them and the black fenders.

When you finish your roof trim, I'd like to hear how it turned out. That's the one area I'm most concerned about on my car since reproduction mouldings aren't available.
28 Special Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote