Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Preventing chipping paint

I need to install the side curtain stud in my phaeton windshield stanchions. I also need to install the windwings on the same stanchions. I am nervous about chipping the paint when the studs and windwing brackets when they are tightened. Maybe some grease on the paint where the studs and windwing brackets fasten would help?? If anyone knows a method to prevent the paint from chipping, please post a response. The picture below is not my phaeton,but shows the studs and windwings I need to install.
Thanks,
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Balsam Green phaeton 21.jpg (41.4 KB, 95 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
jb-ob

Default Re: Preventing chipping paint

Rusty,

I've seen clear plastic washers of the correct size used.

For the studs, try cutting out a small piece of 'heavy' plastic freezer baggie, poke a very small hole for the threaded part of the stud to push thru, screw & tighten the stud. You have created a small plastic washer for the stud to twist on. The plastic can then be peeled away.

If you had painted the car like Henry, cheap, with very few coats of primer & color, there is less material to crack and fall away.

Patience my Friend.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
wrndln

Jim,
Thanks for the response. I had been told before to not apply too many coats of paint on items that will have screws or other fasteners used on them. However, I sometimes forget. I applied 3 coats of paint like usual (for colorsanding) on the rear window frame for my 28 special coupe even though I didn't colorsand it. This is before someone told me to apply only one coat of paint on items that will have screws or other fasteners installed on them. I believe it was Brent Terry that told me that. I chipped the paint around the screw holes on the multi coated frame. When I redid it, I only applied one coat on the rear window frame and that worked great, no chipping. The plastic bag method sounds like it is worth trying. I will try it.
Thanks,
Rusty Nelson
Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
jb-ob

Rusty,

For wood grained moldings or any molding, same trick. A 1" square of plastic, push the screw thru the center and then assemble. The plastic acts as 'gasket' allowing the screw to be tightened gliding over the paint.

I suppose if you had time you could carve the some of the paint away from the recess with an exacto knife.

Don't rush, JB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
wingski

Hey Rusty, put masking tape on all the surface that could be chipped. Then, carefully remove that tape when you are done. If you leave some tape, take an exacto-knife and carefully remove the leftover tape. It takes time to tape off an area , but it is worth it in the long run.

Good luck,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
wrndln

Mike,
Thanks for the response. Are you saying to apply the tape before painting or after painting but before installing screws or bolts through painted items?
Rusty Nelson
Old 02-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
wingski

Hey, Rusty. After painting. Make sure that paint is really cured well. You can screw your mounts right over the tape if you want. Then carefully use an exacto-knife to trim the tape. I used to use vaseline to prevent scrapes and scratches when doing body work then wipe it off. It worked for me.

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote