Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
ericr

Default Model "A" Cars vs. Their Successors

this is not completely a Model "A" topic but I suspect some of us have wondered about this....

does anyone who has had experiences with the '32 models, be they "B" or V-8, have a reaction as to how improved the new models were in things like riding, braking, etc.

Obviously the frame was vastly different but the new models still had transverse springs and mechanical brakes.

As an aside, it does appear that the major car companies back then were sincerely interested in improving their product for the benefit of the customer. Sure, barefaced competition was a part of it but compare the 1930s attitude with the industry of the '70s.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
30ccpickup

Default Re: Model "A" Cars vs. Their Successors

Good topic, I would like to know more. I am amazed at how reliable my Model A's are (once understood). Are the '32s and early V8s the same? Or did the production of a faster car out Trump dependability. Nice question ericr!

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
Synchro909

I’ve never seen a ‘32 Model, either V8 or 4 cylinder but I regard the 30s as a period of rapid improvement in car design but by about the 70s, car companies had become so full of themselves that they dropped the ball. When was it that the boss at GM said that whatever was good for General Motors was good for America? It was not so long after that GM would have disappeared into oblivion if it weren’t for a bailout from the Government.
It is often said that war drives technological advancement forward at a faster rate. I think the reverse was true during WW2 so far as cars were concerned.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
David R.

I believe cars hit a peak in development somewhere in mid to late 50’s - early 60’s, then began a decline. Not until the imports began showing how crappy American cars had become did they begin to turn it around some.
I had a ‘52 F1 that was a pleasure to drive, even though it was about worn out. My next truck was a ‘69 F100 that was a chore to drive. Never drove it anywhere I wasn’t glad to get home. It seemed like by ‘69 Ford’s engineers had forgotten everything they knew in ‘52.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
Mike Peters

I have a 35 Ford, completely stock, and it is night and day better than a Model A. Rides way better, quieter, faster almost to the point of keeping up with modern traffic, and so far, more reliable. I also have a 15 T that is night and day worse than a Model A for the same reasons mentioned above. I still love all three because these three cars represent great advances in automotive technology.

Arnold: I think it was 1953 when the president of GM said that "What was good for GM was good for America".
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
mhsprecher

It was Charles Wilson, who was the head of GM, that made the statement at his confirmation hearing to become Secretary of Defense. From Wikipedia, " During the hearings, when asked if he could make a decision as Secretary of Defense that would be adverse to the interests of General Motors, Wilson answered affirmatively. But he added that he could not conceive of such a situation "because for years I thought what was good for our country was good for General Motors, and vice versa.""

As to the other question, it's my opinion that the Model A was one of the best cars every built. My V8 experience is with a 39 and a 45 and they drive me crazy with their quirks. Maybe when I get everything sorted out they will be different, but my A's always go. Maybe not fast, but they go.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible

Last edited by mhsprecher; 12-29-2019 at 12:55 PM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
Jeff/Illinois

Good topic.

Our '36 Ford is easier to get in and out of than the '30 Roadster. You don't bump your head and it's far far easier to get your feet and legs in and out. The doors shut tighter. It is smoother and faster, stock 59 AB Flathead and it purrs at 55MPH w/o ever struggling. Will go much faster.

But the Model A seems easier to start and run (don't have a pesky fuel pump) if the '36 sits more than three weeks or so you have to dribble a little gas into the carb to make it pop off, gravity flow Model A not the case. Model A's have a fantastic parts network in place for repair parts.

We love both Model A's and Ford Flatties for the same and at the same time different reasons. Both a lot of fun. I've never owned a Model T or driven one. But they are neat too.

We had a '67 Ford Galaxie for many years and I loved that car. Galaxies were built to wear like iron, they were great cars. That car never let us down.

I've driven nothing but Ford cars and trucks and actually have always had excellent service out of all of them. But then again, I'm a car guy and take good care of them and service them religiously. THAT goes a long long way. With any car you own. You have to take care of them. Reason I would never ever buy a rental car
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I've driven nothing but Ford cars and trucks and actually have always had excellent service out of all of them. But then again, I'm a car guy and take good care of them and service them religiously.:
Some might call you an oxymoron. That being, how could you drive only Fords and be a car guy??? Impossible!

(Said with my tung in cheek...)
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Some might call you an oxymoron. That being, how could you drive only Fords and be a car guy??? Impossible!

(Said with my tung in cheek...)
Yowsa that's funny
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:03 AM   #10
Pmsqrd

I had the pleasure of driving a low mileage untouched 32 B Tudor. My what a step up in all regards. It is more than a warmed over A. However I will keep my slant window with the more challenging driving experience and quirky charm.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:49 AM   #11
CWPASADENA

I have owned restored Model A's and also restored '32s, and '34s.

The '32 Ford is a major step forward from the Model A.

The '32 has better brakes, better steering, better engines, better transmissions, better ride, stiffer frame, more comfortable, smoother and faster.

The 33-34 was another major step forward from the '32.

Fords were developing very rapidly in the early 30's. They had to so they could try and keep up with the competition.

However, a well restored Model A is still one of the most fun cars to own.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:13 AM   #12
al's28/33

The Model "A" was a stepping stone to more reliable, comfortable and economical automobiles with the new competition of FORD, GM and CHRYSLER. Without significant competitors, the "A" might have been a longer production run like the Lizzie. Imagine all the revolutionary advancements of the components of our cars from safety glass, electric starters, headlights, vulcanized tubeless tires and now seat warmers, self-driving cruise control and backup video cameras...… just think what it will be like in another 100 years.....

Look at all the new electronics out today, every six months things become outdated.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:20 AM   #13
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
Look at all the new electronics out today, every six months things become outdated.
I hope they replace the electronics in the Jeep Compass faster than that. Too smart for its own good.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:32 AM   #14
Tudortomnz

From the original question , I agree with cwpasadena, the '32 Ford was a major advance from the Model A. I know someone with about 6 '32's, but have only been in his B4 roadster. Superior chassis, longer wheelbase , automatic adjusting shocks etc gave a better ride. The B4 had more pep than an A with automatic spark plus petrol pump & syncro gearbox etc. Although I think the 1930 styling was beautiful for a cheap car, most would agree that styling for 1932 was outstanding ; 75 years of hot rodding would agree. The V8 engine was a great advance for the auto industry, until Henry perfected en bloc casting for mass production, V8's only existed in expensive , mostly hand built cars. This took him ahead of the competition, but other makes, like Chrysler were also very well engineered cars, but better than the cheaper GM cars in my opinion.

Last edited by Tudortomnz; 12-29-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:23 AM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Chrysler were also very well engineered cars, but better than the cheaper GM cars in my opinion.
I can find no fault in that statement but note Chrysler were well engineered. Their more current vehicles certainly can't claim that.

Last edited by Synchro909; 12-30-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:25 AM   #16
1931 flamingo

Now that I have my 40 I'm not looking back ! ! This is lots better evan than my Olds powered 32 was.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
katy

Quote:
My next truck was a ‘69 F100 that was a chore to drive. Never drove it anywhere I wasn’t glad to get home. It seemed like by ‘69 Ford’s engineers had forgotten everything they knew in ‘52.
I had just the opposite experience, I bought a new plain jane '69 F100 with a 302, standard transmission, no power brakes or steering. Drove it for 11 years w/no complaints before I sold it to my brother and bought a new '80 F150 super cab 4X4 which I drove for 24 years.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #18
redmodelt

Never was much impressed with the 32 styling, now the 33's different story.... From what I have read over the years the Model 18 V8 was not all that great, but it did get Ford into the market at their price range with a V8. Until about mid 32, they used the Model A ring and pinion setup rear end but with bigger brakes.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #19
Flathead

The 1932 V8 engine had a lot of issues, they got much better as the 30's went by.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #20
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
The 1932 V8 engine had a lot of issues, they got much better as the 30's went by.
True, & unlike the B, the V8 was unknown territory in 1932 & Ford struggled to get it out ; he held back the Model B until it was ready, but unproven. The first buyers of the V8 were really road testing the car & there were a number of recalls to either do modifications or replace parts. eg. chassis plates were added for strengthening & rings replaced to reduce oil consumption. It appears Ford expected all these minor problems but had the proven ability to quickly resolve any quality problems in the new cars. By 1933 & '34 most problems with the new engine were under control but every year developments with the engine continued.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote