Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
hotrodrich

Default 1930 Pitman Arm

Now I would like to tackle my sloppy steering problem. I think it is in that adjustment on the side of the box. Then when I get it corrected I think I want to put that short pitman arm on. First I need to know how long from end to end it the stock one. Mine measures about 8" Does that sound right? And then how long is the shortened one?
hotrodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: 1930 Pitman Arm

The box has 3 adjustments that you need to understand before making changes. The shortened arm may or may not have a noticeable change. For a tight front end look for slop in all the components and see that the connection balls are reasonably spherical.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
DannL

My original was 7 inches center of hole to center of ball. Picture attached. Can you tell which is the new vs. the old?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190816_210031-1-1.jpg (57.0 KB, 56 views)
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
DannL

I also chose to switch to the shorter arm.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannL View Post
My original was 7 inches center of hole to center of ball. Picture attached. Can you tell which is the new vs. the old?
Yes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walter dripping nose.jpg (19.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
Bill G

The steering gear box is just one link in a series of things that affect loose or tight steering. Unfortunately, there is no one single item that will be a cure. At 90 years old, we seem to deal with worn parts in the steering more than things that need an adjustment.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
The steering gear box is just one link in a series of things that affect loose or tight steering. Unfortunately, there is no one single item that will be a cure. At 90 years old, we seem to deal with worn parts in the steering more than things that need an adjustment.

I agree 100%.

Every moving part from the steering box to the wheel bearings. If it moves it can be worn and should be checked.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #8
David R.

A little bit of wear in everything adds up. King pins, tie rod ends, drag link, steering gear. The good part is it’s all straight forward and fairly simple to repair. I just finished rebuilding steering gear in mine. If yours is a 2 tooth Gemmer there are actually 4 adjustments that can be made. The column has to be removed to adjust worm end play. Les Andrews book details adjustments pretty well. Mine had been allowed to go dry and bearing surfaces on worm were badly pitted so I ended up replacing almost everything in it. I bought all new bearings, bushings, sector and worm. Had I known how difficult it would be to get worm pressed off and on without bending steering shaft I would have bought new worm and shaft assembled, but I gotter dunn.
Mine is an AA so some of the parts a little more difficult to obtain but everything is readily available for the A. I am getting ready to completely rebuild front axle in my truck.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #9
Patrick L.

There are 4 adjustments on the 2 tooth box which need to be done in the correct order. The Service Bulletins I think have the best instructions. [ usually only 3 of the 4 are needed]
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #10
marty in Ohio

I rebuilt the steering box on my 2 tooth last winter, but I still had more play than I thought reasonable. On further checking I found that I didn't have the pitman arm tight enough. Make sure it's tight!
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
chap52

Fortunately the steering was tight on my car when I got it. I did go with the shorter pitman arm and the steering is noticeably easier... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
Mulletwagon

Most of my steering looseness was movement of the pitman arm on the sector shaft. Tightened up the bolt on the arm and most steering wheel play was removed.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
JBill

The shorter pitman arm doesn't turn it into power steering, but it does make steering a little easier. Been a lot of debate about turning radius changing, but I've never noticed any problem there.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #14
wmws
BANNED

It seems to me that with the shorter pitman arm you would have to turn the wheel further for the same result. It may turn easier but you have to turn the wheel further,
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #15
Dirtrack49

When I got my 30' Town Sedan, there was a lot of slop in my steering for being a so-called restored car.
What I have found in the last four months of working things out on this vehicle are:
1. No cotter pin on the pitman arm and the bolt was loose on the steering sector. After tightening up the pitman arm, I went from over 3 inches of play to 1 inch.
2. Found both steering arms loose for who knows what reason. Tightened up both and not only the steering appears to be much better as far as slop, I no longer hear noise coming from the front end when moving the wheel from stop to stop with the front of the car off the ground.
I don't know if a shorter pitman arm makes a difference, however, you need to look at everything on the steering while the front of the car is up, having someone turn the steering wheel back and forth. That is when you will see anything out of the ordinary that has too much play, causing your problems.
Tom L.
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote