Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Bruce_MO

Default '52 6 cyl carb problem

I have a '52 6 cylinder (O/Head valve) engine in my F-1 and I have an on-going problem that I can't seem to fix. After replacing the float & needle valve a couple times, the carb still floods and overfills the float chamber. The carb has a glass bowl, so it's easy to see what's going on. The float is set to the proper level, and when I start it in the garage, it will fill to the proper level and run fine there. It runs and drives fine most of the time, but after heading down a steep hill into my driveway, the bowl fills all the way and the carb starts leaking externally until it floods and kills the engine. Pretty scary to have gas dripping on a hot exhaust manifold.

Any ideas? I've put two rebuild kits in it and it otherwise runs great. If all else fails, is there someone who some of you could recommend to rebuild it?

Thanks
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: '52 6 cyl carb problem

If your float valve has a rubber tip it may be one that rapidly deteriorates. Another problem might be a fuel pressure that is higher than the float valve can take. If that is the case, a small pressure regulator in the line would work to drop the psi a bit.
Hopefully one of the rebuilders will add their info for you.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
BUBBAS IGNITION

I would check the fuel pressure and then lower the pressure.....like the post above...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
38 coupe

My 53 has the same carburetor. Along with the rubber "viton" tipped needle, the rebuild kits come with a replacement seat. The hole for the gasoline in the replacement seat is about twice the diameter as the hole in the original seat. This means you need 4 times the pressure on the needle to shut off fuel flow in the carburetor. I never use the new seat. I also had to adjust my float down a bit since the new gasoline with alcohol in it doesn't have the density to "float" the float that the old gas had. I adjust my float so that the gas is level with the top of the small rectangle in the middle of the glass bowl cover.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

I would suggest getting rid of the rubber tipped inlet needle and using a steel needle in there. Lower float level slightly and possibly use a leather type acce. pump if its the older type AP,not sure what these carbs use. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
My 53 has the same carburetor. Along with the rubber "viton" tipped needle, the rebuild kits come with a replacement seat. The hole for the gasoline in the replacement seat is about twice the diameter as the hole in the original seat. This means you need 4 times the pressure on the needle to shut off fuel flow in the carburetor. I never use the new seat. I also had to adjust my float down a bit since the new gasoline with alcohol in it doesn't have the density to "float" the float that the old gas had. I adjust my float so that the gas is level with the top of the small rectangle in the middle of the glass bowl cover.
Everything he said is 100 percent correct and it is why you are flooding out. I did not save my old inlet seat and needle so I had to install a fuel pressure regulator and set it to 1.5 lbs. That works great as long as you start it up and run it for a while once a week. If you leave it sit for a month, the regulator acts squirly at first and you have to readjust till it simmers down.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

I have the steel ones with the smaller hole in the seat if you want to go that route. I would need the set you have with the bigger hole to match up for threads and needle length. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
barryfromvictoria

when we used to race ford 6 cyl stock cars every body threw away the troublesome glass bowl carbs and put on a chev yf carb. and no more problems and it worked better i think we had to make an adapter.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Ray With

To keep your regulator from being (squirly) install a simple 1/8 return line back to the tank and this will maintain the setting you desire when regulating the fuel pressure.I usualu install the return line fitting on the carb supply line at the regulator. Simple and fast fix.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
Steves46

In addition to the good tips provided, is your tank and fuel lines clean and are you running a fuel filter? My 55 F100 has the same Holley 1904 carburetor and believe me; they are very sensitive to the slightest fragment of dirt or rust particle. My tank and lines were filled with rust which managed to clog the idle passages. After a rebuild from Charlie in NY and new tank/lines, it has been working great for close to a year. I hope you are able to resolve this frustrating situation soon. Steve.