Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #21
Brendan

Default Re: My 32 Truck

i have a 36 pickup, it has mechanical brakes, and i drive it pretty much everywhere try to get them to work good

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #22
tiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsrodshop View Post
I have to put juice brakes in it. I just doesn't stop worth a darn. Its already got a new muffler. Carb kit, new rad hoses, and motor mounts this weekend. Other than that drive it as is for awhile. Its just too cool to change right now.
Everyone has lots of advice. If you choose to go hydraulic and do not want to go disc, try the F1 or f-100 pick up brakes. they are much better than the 39-48 and the parts are readily available and more affordable than the earlier ones. The 39-48 on the rear axle is still a good choice. Just my 2 cents
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #23
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
Everyone has lots of advice. If you choose to go hydraulic and do not want to go disc, try the F1 or f-100 pick up brakes. they are much better than the 39-48 and the parts are readily available and more affordable than the earlier ones. The 39-48 on the rear axle is still a good choice. Just my 2 cents
You should check out the adapter required to run original wire wheels on the F1 or F100 pick up brakes (I hope you decide to keep the original wheels). It is my understanding that it is very thick. I am running the '46-'48 brakes on my '32 roadster and have never had a reason to complain. The car is powered by a 181 inch Mercruiser Marine engine. The guru on brakes is Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282. Be sure to check out his master cylinder mount that requires no cutting and uses the original pedals.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #24
Kevinsrodshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Stumpjumper View Post
I have a question pertaining to the color of this PU, Were they painted from the factory with all one color or were the fenders black like on the model A's?
I think the fenders were black. I might change mine to black since I think it looks better however trying to get the patina to match the rest of the truck would be difficult.

Based on the advice I've got so far I'm going to try adjusting and using the mechanical brakes first, then go from there.
Kevinsrodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #25
Seth Swoboda

There is nothing wrong with mechanical breaks and when set up and adjusted properly they are vary safe. In fact if your truck will be sitting or in storage for a long period of time, mechanical breaks will give you less trouble than hydraulic breaks.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #26
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
I think the fenders were black. I might change mine to black since I think it looks better however trying to get the patina to match the rest of the truck would be difficult.

Based on the advice I've got so far I'm going to try adjusting and using the mechanical brakes first, then go from there.
There was a post on "patina" on HAMB a while but I can't seem to locate it. I remember when the thread started thinking I am going to need this someday. I have a '32 Fordor that needs work and a gloss black fender would definitely clash with the rest of the car. Please let me know if you come up with anything.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #27
JM 35 Sedan

That is a beautiful little pu! I'm driving a mostly stock '35 fordor sedan with properly adjusted mechanical brakes and it stops just as well as some other '35's I have driven that had hydraulic brakes. Don't be too quick to spend a lot of money changing them to hydraulic. Contact Richard Lacy @ the EV8 Garage and get all of his recommendations on how to make those mechanical brakes work well. JMO

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #28
Kevinsrodshop

Just a quick question about the clevis and pins at each wheel for the mechanical brakes. I assume they should be tight and have no slop in them. Mine are quite sloppy proabably from the 80 years of use. By the time all the slack gets taken up the pedal has moved quite far and hasn't even started engaging the brakes yet. Also I've put on new linings and retracted the adjusters as much as I can. The drums fit but there is some drag on the new linings that, I'm sure would wear off quite quickly, but is this normal?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #29
wadsies1

Real nice pickup - keep it stock but definitely try flathead Ted's floaters and keep the rod brakes, they work as good as juice guaranteed!! Bruce
wadsies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #30
39portlander

Nice 32. When I'm working in Laconia NH I always see a guy with a similar truck. I love that one with Gray paint and the black fenders make that front end pop
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #31
ora masters

Smile Re: My 32 Truck

Quote:

i painted mine washington blue with black fenders with all new lineings my orignal brakes work great but then i am an orignal nut
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #32
Kevinsrodshop

The motor mounts were shot also so they got replaced as well as the rad hoses. Flushing out the rad and the block produced a bunch of nice brown sludge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3923.jpg (64.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3927.jpg (64.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #33
Kevinsrodshop

I started redoing the brakes since the truck came with brand new linings and a rivet kit. Pulling off the left rear drum I found a small leak from the axle tube. However pulling off the right rear drum revealed a major leak. Everything under that drum was soaked in gear oil. So that means new axle seals on both sides. The banjo rear needs to come out for that to happen. A quick cleaning and a spray bomb paint job just to spruce things up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3957.jpg (74.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4060.jpg (87.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4062.jpg (66.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4061.jpg (90.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4065.jpg (61.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4066.jpg (66.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4070.jpg (47.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4077.jpg (57.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #34
Kevinsrodshop

Then the fun really began. Found the wheel bearing race on one end bell was shot. Thankfully a repair sleeve is available so a quick trip to Cactus machine got that fixed. The next problem was a huge chunk of tooth missing from the pinion gear. Since I'm buying a new ring and pinion I may as well get a better gear ratio. Originally it was 4.11 gears and I'm putting in 3.54s just to get a little more speed out of it. I'm going to need all the help I can get with a 50 hp engine. A spray bomb overhaul on the endbells as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4085.jpg (41.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4086.jpg (46.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4100.jpg (53.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4299.jpg (63.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4300.jpg (63.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #35
35 Ford

Nice truck!

My 35 Ford Pickup Blog
35 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #36
Mart

Nice work you're doing there.

I'd love a truck like that.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #37
Rem

Hey Mart, I know where there's one

That's a nice truck - mine is a similar colour.

I don't know what others think about that high a gearing, but I recently changed from 6.00-16 rears to 7.50-16s, and it has really killed top gear. It used to seem really buzzy with the banger at, say 50-ish, but now it seems to struggle with the jump from second to top. Now, I don't know what the ratio is as it doesn't appear to be stamped on the banjo like on the V8 rears, so it could be taller than your 4.11s, but I think I'm going back down to 7.00 or even 6.50s to bring it back to life.
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #38
Kevinsrodshop

Well after a long gruelling few months of setback after setback the 32 is back on the road. It now has a rebuilt rear end, new gears (3.54 from 4.11) new bearings, races, seals and a spray can paint job. Changed the speedo gear for the change in the rear gears but haven't checked its accuracy against a GPS. More importantly I finished going through the brakes and installed the Flathead Teds brake floater kit. Took it out today and other than a slight pull to the left it actually stops now! Even managed to get the fronts to lock up. For the first time I'm actually not scared to drive it. The original brakes were non existant. Took some polishing compound to a small spot and the green paint shines up a little. That might be the next project, shining up the rest of the paint. Still have to install new chrome handles, window cranks and mirrors. Also starting to think about wiring upgrades to 12 volts and some real lights for a little more safety.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #39
Roadster5040

Nice truck enjoy let me know if you would like to sell it to me.
Roadster5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #40
38 coupe

Depending on how much the paint shines up, you should be able to paint the fenders black to match. If you get a somewhat flat shine to your paint, you should be able to paint the fenders semi-gloss black and then wax the whole truck. For a completely flat shine, paint the fenders flat black and wax the whole truck.

For lights I highly recommend the 6 volt halogen bulbs that lbcarco sells for your truck. I have their bulbs in my 37 and really like them.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote