Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
Carl

Default 32 Ford

I'm trying to re-install the exhaust pipe/muffler assembly on my 32 V-8 car with splash pans. Does someone have the install sequence? I know I have to loosen/remove RH splash pan, at least partly.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 32 Ford

You should not have to remove or even loosen the right side engine splash pan if your muffler inlet pipe conforms to the original. The sequence that I use is first the muffler inlet pipe (or combined one-piece muffler and inlet pipe if as original) with bolts to exhaust manifold/engine block no more than finger tight followed by the crossover pipe also with its bolts only finger tight. Next would be muffler if separate. I support the muffler in its installed position with boxes of varying heights to support the weight and to align it with the clamp/bracket attached to the rear running board support bracket.

The sequence for the two tail pipe sections may have to vary somewhat depending how accurate are the bends in the long section. If the long section is not NOS or a good used original or a Mike McKennett reproduction (no longer available) the bends in the long pipe will not be the same as the original. There's enough room behind the hole in the rear cross member to insert the back of the long pipe rearward through the loosely attached clamp at the front corner of the rear cross member to clear the end of the muffler outlet pipe. Once clear, attach the front of the long section of tail pipe to the muffler outlet pipe.

At this point you will likely have to rotate the long tail pipe section to ensure that it clears the chassis frame rail and to ensure that it does not extend rearward beyond the opening in the rear cross member and that the end of the pipe is at least horizontal resting in the cross member clamp. (if there is any elevation to the rear of the long pipe you will find it difficult to attach the short tail pipe section as there is very little clearance for the short pipe beneath the rear cross member. You should then be able to attach the front of the short pipe to the end of the long pipe. Some back and forth rotation of the short pipe may be required to push the short pipe far enough forward to be completely within the clamp at the front of the rear cross member.

I normally tighten the crossover pipe bolts first, followed by the tail pipe clamp at the back of the muffler and then the bolts of the muffler inlet pipe. Lastly, tighten the clamp at the rear cross member. If your muffler is separate from the muffler inlet pipe it is probably best to tighten that clamp before tightening the clamp at the rear of the muffler.

It will save you some grief if you test fit the various pipe connections off the car as it is imperative that the male and female pipes fit together easily and to the maximum extent permitted by the enlarged female ends of the pipes.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
Carl

David- I have an exhaust pipe muffler assembly all welded together like an original rusty example I took off an original car I have. I've tried to install the new unit but the Y end does'nt fit thru the opening in the splash pan. I will cut off the Y end on the junk piece & try that in the pan opening. Thanks, Carl.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
DavidG

Tlry something first. Jack up the front axle and place it on jack stands as high as prudence allows and then try inserting the flange with the muffler outlet pipe on the ground. When the pipe and muffler was installed in the assembly plants the chassis was upside down which permitted the workers to rotate the pipe/muffler assembly up to 180 degrees to install it in the opening in the engine splash pan.

Also, if you have not done so you have to detach the right front brake rod at the cross shaft, remove the brake rod support, and lower the rod to the ground for more installation elbow room, assuming you have mechanical brakes.

Last edited by DavidG; 09-21-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
Carl

...Yep, got it installed, finally. It took some time & patience, but your advice was right on. Funny, a couple weeks ago a car guy friend stopped by & we tried installing the exhaust for ~an hour, with no luck. Just proves you can't get good help anymore....ha Thanks David.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #6
DavidG

You're welcome!