Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #21
Karl

Default Re: Of 34 Phaetons - woodticks - n - Brook Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Karl ,
Thanks and I hope you catch some biggunz when you get to fish again .

I am sending a pair of heads to NZ this week so the shipping situation is going to ensnare me .

Orange Roughy comes from there does it not ?
Good stuff .

I will give a shout if I ever get there .

Pic is from the 90's and is yours truly with a 16 # female Brown trout and a 11# Male Brown Trout .
Caught lots of them like that fishing Green Bay out of Marinette WI .
It's trolling type fishing but the Browns are worth it .

In the right setting I like flipping flys at them also .

I wish all well on this covid mess as it is really hurting the entire world .
Political bickering is not helping here .
So sad !!!!!
David -You may be ok actually -I brought a 34 ashtray radiohead out of New York 10 days ago Got to my forwarding address in California in 36 hours. From there on DHL to Sydney Australia in 24 hours and to little old Feilding in New Zealand in another 36 hours so seven days total was not bad . I understand the back log of freight is out of China and Asia with huge piles of stuff held up there.

Orange roughy is caught largely of the Chatams rise just east of New Zealand Funny looking fish but nice eating. Also my fathers nickname for my first girlfriend (a redhead) As he predicted it didn't last!.

Karl
Old 05-03-2020, 11:49 PM   #22
Brian

The heads David is sending to NZ are cast iron 21 stud, pump in head versions, that he is kindly sending as a gift to me; I pay the shipping, very heavy, very expensive!! Quite ironic, because I had a set of these that I sold to Karl [NZ] cheaply three or four years back, who has never used them. When I asked Karl if he'd be prepared to sell them back to me, he refused.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:44 AM   #23
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The heads David is sending to NZ are cast iron 21 stud, pump in head versions, that he is kindly sending as a gift to me; I pay the shipping, very heavy, very expensive!! Quite ironic, because I had a set of these that I sold to Karl [NZ] cheaply three or four years back, who has never used them. When I asked Karl if he'd be prepared to sell them back to me, he refused.
That Karl he's no fool LOL Sorry Brian -I will use them -They are on my back up engine I have built up which has all the good stuff on it. Given the miles I do I'll need it one day- and given the way my car is running currently probably soon! I have a set of 36 heads but not nearly as nice as your ones if Davids get lost in international travel -Karl
Old 05-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #24
JM 35 Sedan

David, it's great to see that '34 Phaeton being cared for, and kept just the same as I remember seeing it in Mike Sr's pictures taken when it was in Florida, and then again over a year ago in person at Mike's son's garage in Spenser, WV.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #25
RobR'35

Awesome to see your using the car for trout fishing.
I do it too here in the U.P., way back roads as long as they're not rutted up and muddy..
Boy the smiles you get and many that will say you just don't see that often at all.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #26
David J

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the kind words all .

Mike sure kept this car in good order .
Brakes squeak a little like I remember and the speedo reads slow .

My NOS 18 tooth turtle will cure that .

Haven't had one with 3.54 gears in a while and it sure picks the speed up .

NO death wobble so far !!!
Mike has the steering box pretty tight and the springs in the tie rod ends cranked down and that is the best defense against death wobble .
I've had 33-34's do that before and it is not any fun .

David J
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #27
hop up

David J Awesome car and nice tasty fish ! It’s great to see the old pheaton being used as it was back in the day it was born. Your pheaton has been one of my favorites on fordbarn as the previous caretaker used it often and loved seeing the pictures of it out and about. Thank you for sharing and will give me inspiration to get my 33 pheaton on the road.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #28
FL&WVMIKE

Truly happy to see David using and enjoying this car as it was intended! It's a very, very solid car that has never been abused, neglected or rotten. It's the perfect DRIVER.

David's stories here are heartwarming. He calls me regularly to share his journey with the car, and it's obvious he is the perfect caretaker. He truly has an emotional connection with it. I couldn't ask for a better host!

The car use to drive from here to Detroit, Hershey, Noth/South Carolina, Lancaster OH, etc... all over the country. With his care, I'm sure it could do it again if he took a notion! I couldn't be happier!

Hats off to David, and I hope his stories help encourage other members here to get their cars out and enjoy them!
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #29
swo4rd

I fish the Hardware River and Mossy Creek here in Virginia. Corona Virus...well, the world is slowing down...we should all take some time to reflect how much better life is when we relax, and let it happen...Gump it as we used to say. Look up in the sky, no contrails anywhere...The earth is definitely happier...and I go for Trout with a side of spinach for supper...
Relax and smell the quiet and the peace.
Politicians????? None of the above.
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:47 AM   #30
David J

Thanks for the responses .
Mike jr has been very tolerant of my pestering him and THANKS .

Read an article about the effect this covid mess is having in New Delhi India . It said the air pollution index can get to 1000 at times ???
Safe range is up to 25 ????
Article went on to say with the lockdown the index is flirting with 25 now and after a rain it touched 17 .
Also mentioned was that you can see blue sky there at times now .

Scary when you remember that the air travels all over .

Also to clarify we are on lockdown here also but the Polk Co sheriff in not ticketing folks that are driving around or fishing etc as long as they are not being really STUPID .

Mikes tub has been my escape during this mess and that is the reason it is piling up miles .

BTW if you look at post 1 in Mikes " faces of fordbarn " thread you will see Mike in his element .
Riding around with him you found out fast that he REALLY appreciated female scenery !!!

Anywayz e-nuff rambling and stay safe - keep drivin yer Fords and go fishing !

David J
Old 05-12-2020, 04:52 AM   #31
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Thanks for the responses .
Mike jr has been very tolerant of my pestering him and THANKS .

Read an article about the effect this covid mess is having in New Delhi India . It said the air pollution index can get to 1000 at times ???
Safe range is up to 25 ????
Article went on to say with the lockdown the index is flirting with 25 now and after a rain it touched 17 .
Also mentioned was that you can see blue sky there at times now .

Scary when you remember that the air travels all over .

Also to clarify we are on lockdown here also but the Polk Co sheriff in not ticketing folks that are driving around or fishing etc as long as they are not being really STUPID .

Mikes tub has been my escape during this mess and that is the reason it is piling up miles .

BTW if you look at post 1 in Mikes " faces of fordbarn " thread you will see Mike in his element .
Riding around with him you found out fast that he REALLY appreciated female scenery !!!

Anywayz e-nuff rambling and stay safe - keep drivin yer Fords and go fishing !

David J
Yep Blue sky Minimal pollution The canals in Venice are running clear for the first time in a hundred years and jellyfish have been spotted in them . The planet we have worked so hard to wreck is bouncing back -However when this has passed (and it will) i bet we will just go straight back to trying to wreck it again
Old 05-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #32
tubman

If we're lucky, maybe there is a silver lining in this cloud. Let's hope more people start seeing it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #33
RobR'35

Today is a great day in the U.P. to be out driving our fords on the back roads checking out trout streams and rivers.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #34
David J

Been in the UP and it is a special place .
One of the times I was there it was jan-feb and it snowed a LOT .

To all THANKS and I feel very fortunate to have Mikes tub but I still MISS his jabs and wit .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR'35 View Post
Today is a great day in the U.P. to be out driving our fords on the back roads checking out trout streams and rivers.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #35
RobR'35

Memories are the best. Being the new caretaker of that rig and having the memories and......making new ones is dang near heavenly.
This roadster I cruise in comes with many memories of its past owner as well. He was one heck of a great guy.
He had owned two Cords which he liked a lot but.......
This roadster, which he called his "rapid little bitch". Now, imagine that coming from a guy at the age of 96.It was a piece of his heart.
I know where your coming from.