Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
philipswanson

Default 40 Door Hinge Right Mirror

Anybody know the best source for a door hinge right side mirror these days for a '40?
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 40 Door Hinge Right Mirror

Phil, If you notice that the LH hinge that is made to accept a hinge mirror has a flat machined on it and a threaded hole for a screw that allows the mirror to move with the door by fixing it to the hinge. Most RH hinges do not have this flat or hole for the lock screw so be advised as you check for mirrors for that side. I suppose an Aussie version of the (RH or for them drivers side) hinge may be the ticket or maybe grinding a flat and drilling and tapping a hole on what you have.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Anybody know the best source for a door hinge right side mirror these days for a '40?
Darke, Carpenter list them. You do realize a hinge pin mirror is not correct - yes?
Old 08-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
19Fordy

Phillip, Most folks report that the RH door hinge mirror gives you a poor, limited view. Plus, as Kube says it's not OEM.

Don't mess with your door hinge if it's working fine right now. Removing hinge pin can easily turn into an unwanted project.
JIM
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
philipswanson

Thanks guys! Great advice!
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
deuce_roadster

Kube, my original 40 wagon LH top front door hinge was made to accept a hinge mirror but not the RH side. (RH mirror on any 40 is kind of a waste of time unless you have a passenger to watch it for you) Was 40 the first year wagons were included with the passenger cars instead of the commercial vehicles? I noticed that when I had my 40 COE it had the same kind of provision for a hinge mirror as some of the pickups I looked at too. Perhaps a hold over from the the days the wagon being a "commercial" in earlier years?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Kube, my original 40 wagon LH top front door hinge was made to accept a hinge mirror but not the RH side. (RH mirror on any 40 is kind of a waste of time unless you have a passenger to watch it for you) Was 40 the first year wagons were included with the passenger cars instead of the commercial vehicles? I noticed that when I had my 40 COE it had the same kind of provision for a hinge mirror as some of the pickups I looked at too. Perhaps a hold over from the the days the wagon being a "commercial" in earlier years?
I can only guess why your hinge was prepared for a mirror. My guess? Yes, a "holdover". Is your car early as far as you know?
From my limited research of wagons, yes, '40 was the first year they were considered passenger vehicles. Prior to that, they were considered commercial.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
deuce_roadster

Kube, actually my car is very late but maybe the hinges sent up to Iron Mountain were first in, last out. Mine is a June car with body # less then 500 from the end. I do know that the drivers side of my car was original, some of the passenger side was missing. Just another oddity that in 1940 nobody cared about.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
slowforty

As said any type of passenger side hinge mount mirror is difficult to see or use.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #10
40larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post

.Mike:
It is hard for me to believe that the hinge pin mirror was not correct on the 40 wagon left hand side as they were designed to accept it. As we both know the LH hinge pin mirror is far better for visibility on the SW as compared with the cowl mirror which was introduced for 1940. Right side mirrors both hinge pin and cowl are not very useful.
40larry
40larry is offline   Reply With Quote