Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Vanspeed

Default Money found in cars

I found a 1911 penny and a 1936 quarter under my driver side rocker sill in my 1929 roadster, thought it was pretty cool. Can't imagine how they worked themselves in there but they had been there a long time. I had to clean them just to know what they were. Anybody else ever find any cool stuff in their cars?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: Money found in cars

Always money. I leave coins in place as good luck. tools, beer et all
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Steve Wastler

Cool find!! Maybe not cool, but interesting; My brother found a weed pipe in the rear armrest of his 56 chevy. Someone had removed the ash tray and dropped it in.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Great Lakes Greg

Great subject! Kind of like old car archeology. One of our club members found a local bus schedule from the 1930's in his Sport Coupe. I haven't personaly come up with anything outside of mouse turds. Maybe someday...
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Alienbaby17

When I was making some door panels for my old '39 I found this old 1917 penny in the corner of the bottom of the door. I can only imagine how long it had been there. When I sold the car later that summer I left it in the car. I figured it had been there that long and it should stay there. Oh, the places that penny must have travelled riding in the door of that old jalopy!

I also found an old weed pipe under the passenger seat of a Nova when I took out the carpet to replace it.
Alienbaby17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Keith True

I found a tin box under the seat of my Tudor that looked to be filled with grease.There was a broken bottle in there,and I figured it had held a quart of oil until it broke and turned to grease.Most of the original tools were in there,hard used but not rusted.I also found a nickel plated Sears Defender 7 shot pistol.It has wear from riding around in a box of tools,but the oil preserved it perfectly.It shoots good,accurate to 6 feet or so.I also found a little pistol in a spare tire carrier.That one was real rusty,complete junk.I drove a truck for a local junkyard in 1976,we bought quite a few Boston police cruisers that year.I understand they are supposed to check the rear seat at the end of the shifts,back then they didn't even check when they scrapped the cruisers.I found lots of weed,a few bags of powder,but a lot of money and guns.I can see stuffing some things down the seat,but rolls of money?When he bought more cruisers about 5 years later the seats were pulled out and the carpets(mats)yanked up before he picked them up.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
darrylkmc

I found a Old Timer pocket knife, and a Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce bottle with a partial paper label describing how to cook rabbit with the glass stopper and the cork and a Model A carb in my 1926 Chevrolet Touring.

In my Phaeton I found several pre-war nickles, a dime and some misc. hardware.
I have it all in a container I'll look it over and see just what all I got.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
fltowndon32571

Smile Re: Money found in cars

i bought 1947 ford coupe 1 year ago and lately took out rear seat and cleaned the rockers and a found a 1946 half dollar. maybe was put in during the car assembly. donny
fltowndon32571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
mass A man

I found a 1928 penny in my '31 sedan's right side windshield post/dash rail area and in my '31 pick up, I found a 1940's roll of Rolaids, some .22 bullets, old pencils, and a bunch of old gas station maps of New Hampshire in the dispatch box on right side kick panel. The old pick up's have a lot of junk stashed up in the headers that were exposed to people's fingers.(no headliners). Edited; note not Rolaids, "Tums". and no, I'm not going to eat one. Note price of 12 cents on label.

Last edited by mass A man; 08-15-2022 at 03:52 PM.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
ursus

My Seattle assembled 31 coupe must have spent some time in BC for all the 1920's Canadian pennies - hail king George! - and the ticket stubs from long gone Vancouver theatres.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
shall

Found a checkbook under the passenger seat (in the power seat mechanism) of our Corvette when removed. 2 owners back (the original owner). Nothing in the A yet.
shall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
jkeesey

I found a penny that had fell through a body crack next to the rear seat of a 31 fordor and it fell exactly in the center of a friction shock and wore almost all the way through
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
700rpm

Last year I put seat belts in my 29 Tudor, which I have owned since 1961 and restored in 1980. But I hadn't looked behind the rear seat riser until the seatbelt installation. And there were two of the original tire irons: the long one with the twist, and the smaller one with the spoon end.

Whenever I remodel a house I like to put contemporary things in hidden and closed spaces. I once found somebody's hammer in the space above a door between the rough-in framing and the finished jamb (1925 house). I thought that was pretty neat, though it probably drove the original carpenter crazy wondering where his hammer got to.

But it inspired me to stash stuff. So I put newspaper clippings, old cell phones, and personal observations, comments, and political stuff on notes, then hide it all in places where, someday, maybe, somebody will find it.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
KGBnut

I found an early 1960s baseball card inside the passenger door of my '30 Coupe. I don't remember who it is. Not a baseball fan, so the name meant nothing to me.

I know that the last owner was a big baseball fan, so it will stay in the car in his honor.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #15
tdlmomowers

Bought a 57 Chevy Belaire years ago. I must have found about a dozen used condoms under the back seat. A real stabbin cabin. LOL.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
Greg Jones

While digging around the kick panel of my first Model A, a rather dilapidated 1929 Town Sedan, I found a card that "certified" that one Mr. R.J. Cota of Hoquiam, Washington was the new owner of a Model A Ford Town Sedan. I still have it tucked away somewhere. It was dated 1929, naturally.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
Jim Boehmke

I found this pin button in my late '31 coupe. I'd sure like to know what it means or was from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1365.jpg (94.4 KB, 373 views)
Jim Boehmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
Logan

When my grandpa took apart the rumble seat when restoring the car, he found what i would call an old grain or cotton sack as part of the stuffing. As far as he knew it had never been recovered because it looked to be original seats, and he had owned the car since 1958.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #19
Mitch Bunkin in PA

You guys don't know how lucky you are. All I found when I reupholstered my 1930 Town Sedan were 8 dried mice mummies !!!

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #20
sonny30coupe

I found a 1940's road map of Kansas in the trunk of my coupe.
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote