Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
bdentremont

Default Is your "A" invisible?

Do any of you feel that other drivers are less likely to see your "A" than a modern car? I've had two incidents recently while I have been stopped in a traffic lane adjacent to diagonal parking without any place to go and had a driver put a parked car in reverse and start backing straight at me. In both cases it was rather disturbing how long it took to get the offending driver's attention with the horn and shouting. I've seen plenty of stupid driving before while in my Honda, but never anything quite as oblivious as trying to back up directly at a stopped car as if it wasn't there.

I know people who are distracted tend not to see what they aren't looking for. The study behind the following this video made this rather obvious. I've also seen it while riding my bicycle, when people talking on the phone have looked me straight in the eye and then pulled out from a stop sign at me. I was wondering if anybody has experienced anything similar with the "A".
bdentremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Milton

Default Re: Is your "A" invisible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdentremont View Post
I've also seen it while riding my bicycle, when people talking on the phone have looked me straight in the eye and then pulled out from a stop sign at me. I was wondering if anybody has experienced anything similar with the "A".
I really noticed the eye contact syndrome back in my motorcycle days. If they are looking you in the eye they are not seeing you at all. As for while driving in the A, I rely on the "ahoogaaa" but it is wise to back it up with "eighteen wheeler in a can".
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
redmodelt

I was in my modern PU, is was kinda gloomy but in a lit parking lot waiting for cars ahead of me to pull out into the street. I had the same car back into me 2x's. As it was in a parking lot and my truck was kinda beat up anyway, I said to myself the heck with it let her explain to her husband when she gets home! The point is, people don't really see and make assumptions based on what they think they see.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdentremont View Post
Do any of you feel that other drivers are less likely to see your "A" than a modern car? I've had two incidents recently while I have been stopped in a traffic lane adjacent to diagonal parking without any place to go and had a driver put a parked car in reverse and start backing straight at me. In both cases it was rather disturbing how long it took to get the offending driver's attention with the horn and shouting. I've seen plenty of stupid driving before while in my Honda, but never anything quite as oblivious as trying to back up directly at a stopped car as if it wasn't there.

I know people who are distracted tend not to see what they aren't looking for. The study behind the following this video made this rather obvious. I've also seen it while riding my bicycle, when people talking on the phone have looked me straight in the eye and then pulled out from a stop sign at me. I was wondering if anybody has experienced anything similar with the "A".
Bummer when in your Model A, but it's NOT a Model A 'thing'! It involves distracted drivers in all traffic situations these days. Mostly..look out if you're riding/driving bicycle/motorcycle(I've stopped both these activities) , or even a pedestrian, as the damage is obviously going to be more serious than in an automobile!!
The 'back up without looking' syndrom/practice of distracted drivers is outrageous/crazy these days. Heck, I've been backed into in fast food drive thru, as well as bumped from the rear by drivers who were doing 'something' with the little machines in their hands. What to do?
Any positive suggestions/equipment for protecting the Model A? For example, I put the brush guards on the big truck and watch the look on the offending drivers face..as they 'go under' . But brush guards on a Model A
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Fred K-OR

I had a woman back into the rear fender of my 2004 Chev pickup in a parking lot. This thing is 20 ft long and bright blue. As mentioned above, people do not look where they are backing.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Peter J

Makes me sort of glad mine is a gaudawful yellow but I think the profile throws them off also. WA has a law about handheld cell phones while driving as a primary offense but I haven't seen one bit of change.
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Clydes 31 P/U

This post and seeing the picture of the fatal accident that happened in California got me to thinking that I should do something to make myself a little more noticeable when stopping. Don't know if it will help or not but I tried. I had already put this light on the truck as a 3rd brake light, to make it a little more attention grabbing I put a flasher unit in it, it flashes fairly quick and should grab the tailgaters attention. Now I think I'll go to the marina and pick-up a couple of those hand held air horns as Milton suggested, thanks for the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg safety first 003.jpg (62.1 KB, 111 views)
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Roadster62

Years ago at Hershey I saw a 1910 era touring car with a strip of lights nicelt attached to the underside of the body. It would be very easy to attach the same lights on a car with bumpers like the Model A. DISCLAIMER: Don 't try this with a RESTORED car, a FINEPOINT enforcement person will make your life on this Forum uncomfortable.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Walter Ezzell

I put on a set of super loud trumpet horns on my Roadster just for the facts you described. Mounted them under the car hanging from the chassis and never had a problem with them dragging anything. And I might add that I am not afraid to use them either. They are loud enough they will get your attention right now. Sounds like a big semi and it has saved me a few times as well. I still keep the original horn also for parades and etc.
Walter Ezzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
John Kennedy

Apparently last week my Saturn was invisible. And it has two 6volt Mopar trumpet horns running on 12 volts. When I get back from vacation this week it gets fixed.

All cars can be invisible at any time.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Dusty

Uhh, NO!
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
bdentremont

I guess I've just been lucky in the Honda. Perhaps the fact that that car is orange helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
... "eighteen wheeler in a can" ...
I'd never thought of it, but that might work for the bike as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Ezzell View Post
... super loud trumpet horns ... I still keep the original horn also for parades and etc.
Where did you put the button for the second horn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
... I had the same car back into me 2x's. ..
Wow!
bdentremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Rancho Deluxe

We're all drivers, too. All the bent metal I've made happened while backing up. Mostly short concrete or steel posts and other obstacles. Glad to say I never hit a Model A. But I do make it a practice to look first and only back up as much as is really necessary.
We all drive by using long established habits and a lot of the time while thinking about something else. It pays to be consistent and keep your habits tuned to basically safe procedures. That's my 2 cents. Rancho
Rancho Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Richard/Ca

I had a driver back up and hit the front of my ford windstar at a stop sign. And then get out an ciaim I ran onto him. After I wanted to call the ploice someone in his told him it was his fault so he jump in his car and drove off. Luckly it did not set off my air bag. Richard
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
John in SATX

I find it sort of the other way, they stare at the Model A and turn right into me. They see it all right, just get fixated and do not pay attention. I drive several different kinds of old cars and I have the same trouble with all of them it seems. Just makes one be extra vigilant and be will to take evasive action whether your fault or not.

Of course backing is another animal. I hate mall parking lots in any vehicle. Folks just back out without looking at all. Good reason to stay home and shop on line!! JMHO!

Be safe.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #16
Jerry Parr WI

Backing up seems to result in loss of intelligence. I parked my wife's 83 Mustang GT in the drive and then backed into it with my truck. Only broke the tail light but did not make her happy. You can get a new lens for only $100. and then you can come back in the house.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
Chris Haynes

My son is laying in a convalescent hospital in a vegetative state. Why? Because a 24 year old girl "assumed" there was no motorcycle behind the car the just cleared the intersection and made a left turn in front of him.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
John Kennedy

Oh my, Chris! I hope he gets better real soon! Prayers sent your way this morning.....
Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #19
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennedy View Post
Oh my, Chris! I hope he gets better real soon! Prayers sent your way this morning.....

Thank you.
This happened on March 16 2011. He is still in a vegetative state.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
1930artdeco

Hi Chris,

Coming from another biker, hope he gets better. I have learned to read the idiots around here from driving the model A. So far it has saved me a few times. I plan to put that knowledge to good use when I get the A down with me.

Mike