Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #21
jwilliams81

Default Re: spark plug cleaning

Bought one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/pneuma...ner-32860.html
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #22
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
They're a GREAT sand blaster, for small parts or when you can't get yo' SKILLET CLEAN!
Bill Owncook

If you have a self-cleaning oven, stick your cast iron skillet in there when the oven is cleaning. We inherited an old Griswold that had 1/4" of baked-on grease crusted on it. It came out looking brand new - so clean that we had to re-season it.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #23
1930artdeco

I have not really looked hard, but how do you change out the rubber seal to accommodate our larger plug? I don't want to hog it out as I have smaller plugs I would like to clean.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
If you have a self-cleaning oven, stick your cast iron skillet in there when the oven is cleaning. We inherited an old Griswold that had 1/4" of baked-on grease crusted on it. It came out looking brand new - so clean that we had to re-season it.
I TOTALLY agree! It'll take the crust off & turn the rust to a powder. IF it has a WOOD handle, remove it first.
Cast Iron can't be beat for cooking! Keep it seasoned & DON'T wash it in soapy water. Just use plain water & anything that's stuck, will come off with coarse salt & a wet paper towel.
A Friend gave me a Cast Iron, PANNINI GRILL, for grilling sandwiches, & it was CRUSTED/RUSTED beyond belief, from him cooking steaks in it. It cleaned up BEAUTIFULLY! And everyone wants it, NO WAY! That would be like givin' my Dog away.
Bill Cookin'
Old 04-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #25
wensum

I have a Champion Spark plug cleaner/tester, but modern spark plugs do not have glazed ceramics and if they have been wetted by unleaded petrol, it would appear that no amount of cleaning will resuscitate them? otherwise, it works as it should and the plugs clean up nicely
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #26
CHuDWah

Quote:
I TOTALLY agree! It'll take the crust off & turn the rust to a powder. IF it has a WOOD handle, remove it first.
Cast Iron can't be beat for cooking! Keep it seasoned & DON'T wash it in soapy water. Just use plain water & anything that's stuck, will come off with coarse salt & a wet paper towel.
A Friend gave me a Cast Iron, PANNINI GRILL, for grilling sandwiches, & it was CRUSTED/RUSTED beyond belief, from him cooking steaks in it. It cleaned up BEAUTIFULLY! And everyone wants it, NO WAY! That would be like givin' my Dog away.
Bill Cookin'

Well, the better half now has a ceramic cook-top and loves it but it don't like cast iron. Wonder if her self-cleaning oven would work on greasy ol' Ford parts?
Old 04-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #27
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
I have not really looked hard, but how do you change out the rubber seal to accommodate our larger plug? I don't want to hog it out as I have smaller plugs I would like to clean.

Thanks,

Mike

The one I use I just use brute force to get the plug into the hole, I use it on any engines that don't get run much or have a tendency to foul the plugs, from the lawn mower to the John Deere D, my grandpas B is a real plug-fouler, I have a spare set of clean plugs in the tool box at all times. I found a garages Champion plug cleaner that has different inserts and a built in tester, but I haven't taken the time to get it cleaned up and going yet.
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #28
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinesdune View Post
The one I use I just use brute force to get the plug into the hole, I use it on any engines that don't get run much or have a tendency to foul the plugs, from the lawn mower to the John Deere D, my grandpas B is a real plug-fouler, I have a spare set of clean plugs in the tool box at all times. I found a garages Champion plug cleaner that has different inserts and a built in tester, but I haven't taken the time to get it cleaned up and going yet.
Those are INTERESTING, Pinesdune! And as you gradually turn up the pressure, the plug fires WORSE & worse, as the spark runs down the insulator & finally POOPS out.
Then you wonder, "WHY" is it harder to fire with increased air pressure"???---Only the SHADOW knows, FO' SHO'--LOL
Bill Radiobuff
Old 05-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #29
Pinesdune

Quote:
Those are INTERESTING, Pinesdune! And as you gradually turn up the pressure, the plug fires WORSE & worse, as the spark runs down the insulator & finally POOPS out.
Then you wonder, "WHY" is it harder to fire with increased air pressure"???---Only the SHADOW knows, FO' SHO'--LOL
Bill Radiobuff

Now you have really made me to want to get that critter going again just so I can play haha !
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #30
Growley bear

More pressure equals more air. Air is an insulator. Ignition misfire was a problem during WWll high altitude bomber flights. It was solved by installing the coil as close to the spark plug as possible.
Remember that electricity follows the path of least resistance. When the resistance across the electrodes becomes to much then the spark finds the next easiest path; A crack in the center electrode ceramic insulator for instance. When radio suppression leads began to displace real wire, they would absorb moisture and a no start or misfire situation would occur. Open up the hood in the dark and there was quite a light show.
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:18 AM   #31
Growley bear

I should be more specific about high altitude ignition misfire. It was caused by less air at 30,000 feet MSL, so sparks were not easily controlled.
Remember, air is an insulator.

Last edited by Growley bear; 05-01-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #32
TerryO

Quote:
Well, the better half now has a ceramic cook-top and loves it but it don't like cast iron. Wonder if her self-cleaning oven would work on greasy ol' Ford parts?
You can sometimes find iron skillets that are flat on the bottom (without the raised ring) that work fine on the smooth cook tops.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #33
KGBnut

Okay, I'll bite. How does this thing work? I see that it has an air hose connection. Do you just jam the plug in one end and then turn on the air?...sort of a mini sand blaster? How long do you run it?

Ken
Old 05-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #34
1930artdeco

Ken,

That is the gist of it. I assume you run it until and then check to see how clean it is.

Mike
Old 05-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #35
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
You can sometimes find iron skillets that are flat on the bottom (without the raised ring) that work fine on the smooth cook tops.

TerryO

My understanding is the rough texture of cast iron can scratch the ceramic cooktop - most sources recommend stainless cookware.

Is that your Sporty in your avatar? Looks just like our 30 (sadly, sold long ago) except ours had wide whites.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #36
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
Okay, I'll bite. How does this thing work? I see that it has an air hose connection. Do you just jam the plug in one end and then turn on the air?...sort of a mini sand blaster? How long do you run it?

Ken
Try this: http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...2999/32860.pdf