Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Kentmac

Default adjusting windshield in 30 coupe

I hope someone can help with this issue My 30 coupe windshield will not shut completely. I have not removed the headliner but cannot see where there is any adjustment up or down. I am able to move it a little bit from right to left but that is all. It does not hit the gas tank but is very close to it. Any help would be appreciated.
Kentmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
leo

Default Re: adjusting windshield in 30 coupe

I have a 1930 coupe and found the reproduction rubber gasket sold to line the edge of the windshield made it very difficult to close, I had to really lean on those two slide arms to get it shut. There is no adjustment for up and down with the hinge which is screwed into the header above the windshield. If it clears the gas tank with the cap on that is really all to expect there. Where is it binding when you try to close it?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
Kentmac

Thanks for your reply. The windshield just barely clears the gas cap. I cannot see where it is bindind but I am afraid to put more pressure on it for fear of breaking the windshield. I thought maybe there was a slight up/down adjustment underneath the headliner. I will do some more looking and maybe I can figure something out. Could the top be bowed down a bit? It does not look like it but I only need maybe 1/16th .
Kentmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
desotoguy

It could be the rubber seal between the hinge and header, some of the replacement seals are not formed correctly and will cause the condition you describe. Also chaeck that the screws holding the hinge are tight.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
figment

Double check all the screws that hold the windshield to the wooden header . Sometimes the wood header is rotted and the screws will let the windshield frame set to low . Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote