Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Tacoma Bob

Default No more "Modern Points" from Ford Motor Company

Just got back from our local Ford dealership parts dept. The counterman told me they have been discontinued and after market suppliers are the only avenue. I wanted to buy the best that I could. Currently running NAPA 's best which IMHO is ok but still looks kinda cheesy.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
monto

Default Re: No more "Modern Points" from Ford Motor Company

NAPA is generally good, but also local auto parts places with savvy counter personnel will find and recommend decent stuff plus good advice....
Old 08-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
Synchro909

How long will it be before we can't get any points at all? When it really comes down to it, the same applies for almost everything we need to keep our cars running, including fuel.
In what more modern cars were the "modern" points we use used or more acurately, with what engines? I might buy a few sets while I can.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
holdover

If you are talking about modern points like for '57-74 ford dist. They are always available NOS Ford on ebay
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
grantsauder

What are the numbers for the modern points from the Ford Motor Co.? I need 4 sets and I'll See if I can get them here in Canada. Thanks Grant
grantsauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
holdover

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Motorcraft# DP-12 B8Q 12171-A
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:02 AM   #7
SSsssteamer

While you are busy buying the modern points, buy the modern American condenser too. My last modern condenser lasted about 7 months. Luckily, while broke down along the road yesterday, I had a spare modern condenser under my seat which got me home.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:14 AM   #8
Dodge

I just had an O’Reilly’s condenser last one day on my 1973 Ford Truck...
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

So this is kinda like the Delco alternator scenario, in that the reason people changed to the modern NuRex plate was to be able to easily purchase a modern point set and condenser because the original style reproduction points & condenser were junk. Now you can purchase a better quality points set and a burn-proof condenser specifically for the original plate than you can for the NuRex. The same thing applies to buying better components for the generator than the alternator. So why not go with the restored/rebuilt original components?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
How long will it be before we can't get any points at all? When it really comes down to it, the same applies for almost everything we need to keep our cars running, including fuel.
Speaking of fuel the politicians, in their efforts to garner the farm vote, are back to pushing for E-15 for gasoline. That's 50% more Ethanol than what you're getting now. Won't fare well for old cars especially 60's muscle cars.

My brother-in-law ruined the motor in his brand new Chevy truck 5 years ago running strictly E-85. Took about 60,000 miles but it went south. The Chevy garage mechanic warned him to 'not use that stuff' we're seeing all kinds of problems with E-85.

It almost makes you think about selling out and just getting a new 2019 Mustang or Demon or Camaro or whatever It's always something to deal with anymore in this hobby. Getting old.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 08-03-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
Tacoma Bob

Angry Re: No more "Modern Points" from Ford Motor Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Speaking of fuel the politicians, in their efforts to garner the farm vote, are back to pushing for E-15 for gasoline. That's 50% more Ethanol than what you're getting now. Won't fare well for old cars especially 60's muscle cars.

My brother-in-law ruined the motor in his brand new Chevy truck 5 years ago running strictly E-85. Took about 60,000 miles but it went south. The Chevy garage mechanic warned him to 'not use that stuff' we're seeing all kinds of problems with E-85.

It almost makes you think about selling out and just getting a new 2019 Mustang or Demon or Camaro or whatever It's always something to deal with anymore in this hobby. Getting old.
That what the politico's and the the car makers want. Perzackly.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Over the years A lot of people have replaced the points whether they needed replacement or not , every time that they did a tune up . Usually the original points will last for years and can just be filed and reset . I've got a large Jif peanut jar full of used original points that I got at a swap meet for a few dollars . If it gets to where I can't get the good replacement original points , I've got a lifetime supply of good used points . I 've never liked the make shift so called modern points setup any way .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Over the years A lot of people have replaced the points whether they needed replacement or not , every time that they did a tune up . Usually the original points will last for years and can just be filed and reset . I've got a large Jif peanut jar full of used original points that I got at a swap meet for a few dollars . If it gets to where I can't get the good replacement original points , I've got a lifetime supply of good used points . I 've never liked the make shift so called modern points setup any way .
agreed - i got a box full of old used points as well. Alot of parts get swapped on old and new cars trying to solve problems.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #14
monto

Points - condenser modern www.modelaparts.com
Old 08-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #15
Synchro909

[QUOTE=Jeff/Illinois;It almost makes you think about selling out and just getting a new 2019 Mustang or Demon or Camaro or whatever It's always something to deal with anymore in this hobby. Getting old.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying there but of those cars, only the Mustang is/will be available here and I wouldn't buy one of those death traps in a fit. They are considered junk here.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #16
leo

I agree with Purdy too. A used set of original Ford points or the equivalent from a good period manufacturer will outlast you!
leo is offline   Reply With Quote