Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Tacoma Bob

Default Multiple issues

Helpin g a friend with a recently purchased 30 coupe. Paid waaaay tooo much and initially a nice 20 footer. It backfired and without being Model "A" knowledgeable the owner tore into the distributor and zenith at the same time. I rebuilt the distributor and the Zenith. I replaced all fuel lines and installed a pencil filter in the gas tank valve. He said he put in a new Optima battery and the car does have a battery cutoff switch. (thank God). The battery has little power. It barley spins the ahooga horn. Several hours on my trickle charger has not been encouraging. Last night while still on the charger I noticed the later model big ol chrome turn signal was glowing from a red light. I checked the four way flasher and it worked as did right and left signals. When I returned the lever to the "neutral" position the red light was again glowing. My thinking is it is wired incorrectly. I was going to disconnect it tonight and see if the battery doesn't charge right up. I'm frankly worried about this car and want it out of my garage quickly. Any thoughts.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
TinCup

Default Re: Multiple issues

No the light should not be glowing when in the off position. Disconnect it and see if it charges. How many times do you suspect it has been run down and recharged?

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you but you have already begun with the right stuff.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Tacoma Bob

Good! That means I'm on to something. I have left a msg for the owner to call me as I too wonder just when he put the Optima in and how often it has run down to nothing. I understand these batteries cannot endure too many discharges like this. Thanks!!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
mccsix

I think the Optima battery takes a different charger than the std wet cell charger. You need to check polarity throughout the car, remember it was orig positive ground who knows what has been mis-wired to today.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
heneste

If it's the red light on the turn signal that is staying on, it may be like my car. The signal stat I purchased grounds to the steering column for negatively grounded vehicles. If the car is still positive ground, you may want to isolate the switch from the steering column so that you don't have a continual draw from the switch.
I forget which lead is used to power the indicator light on the switch but this can always be activated by use of a jumper wire from the switch to the column whenever the car is running.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Brother Hesekiel

Aside from the wiring/ground issue, Optima batteries of new need indeed a different charger specifically designed for AGM. I can't tell you how many Optima batteries we've lost in the past few years, and it took as quite some time to figure out why. It's certainly in the realm of possibility that you have a faulty battery. I'd have that checked out before you do anything else.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
160B

Here is a link to Optima battery charging methods. These are recommended to ensure a long battery life. They differ based on battery model. And they recommend that you always use a voltage-regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us...care/charging/

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
Tacoma Bob

Thank You one and all. Good stuff you have shared with me. It is in fact a signal stat. I believe the owner told me the car is wired for positive ground and they had been driving the car a good amount. How is beyond me though. I would have liked to get it running to at least trim the carb. I think now that there are electrical issues it's my Que to bail. Currently I'm too crippled up to get out and get under. Cheers, TB
Old 11-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Tacoma Bob

OK gang got it running and smooth as glass. Ran it for 30 minutes and got her warmed up just as the owner pulled up with his trailer. We were both thrilled. Shut it off for a few minutes to shoot the breeze. He went to start it and NO GO. Out of no where there was no spark from the coil wire. Quick call to a club member and he said test the points for spark which they did. Called him back to see if the key switch (non pop out) could be the culprit. Took the dash off and bingo wrong length screw and the wire was not secure. Correct length screw and washer and then noticed one of the ammeter wire fell out of the terminal. Put a new end and proper crimp job and Varoooom the bitch fired right up. Let it run for a while and loaded it in the trailer. Thanks all for your help!!!!