Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Vic Piano

Default 2013 Florida “Barner’s Bash” Plans

2013 Florida “Barner’s Bash” Plans

For the 2013 Florida “Barner’s Bash” we’re thinking about taking things a little further south of Tampa. Here are a few examples of things we’d like to do; there is an Antique Automobile Museum in Sarasota (approximately 100 miles south of Tampa) also, for the ladies, St. Armands Circle in Sarasota provides excellent shopping as well as a bunch of restaurants to choose from. I’ll start checking hotels in the area for availability and see if I can get a discount rate.

Steve (Steve46) has made initial contact with the Ruskin Drive-In and they are receptive to having a “car show”, reserving a row(s) for us on either Friday or Saturday night.

In Ft. Myers (a little further south) there is the Henry Ford winter retreat across the street from Thomas Edison’s home. Both are museums and would make an interesting stop.

We are thinking about having the “Bash” in early to mid March, but before we firm up any dates, I'd appreciate some input from those of you that would like to attend to enable us to accommodate the maximum number of “Barner’s”. We're looking forward to another Florida "Barner's Bash"
Old 11-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
chuck stevens

Default Re: 2013 Florida “Barner’s Bash” Plans

Vic, Do you remember the privet collection near Dade City, I had some pictures of it about a year ago. The guy's name is Tom Small, he's a great guy, and a ford guy to boot. If you want I'll try to get his phone number. I'm down here till Thanksgiving, NO HURRICANES down here! Let me know Chuck S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a Small collection 005.jpg (84.0 KB, 63 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Vic Piano

Chuck, That would be excellent. If you get a chance, give me a call, the guys are most likely going to be here tomorrow to play, hopefully you'll be able to make it over to my place before you go back up north. Vic
Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Vic, sent you a pm on this. I like the idea of going further south. If we decided to go near Punta Gorda we could stop in and 'harass' G.M. and Skip some about Flathead cooling technology advancements .

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Vic Piano

Hi John, Punta Gorda is a place I'd like to stop at as well. I'll give GM & Skip a call (once we have confirmed the event dates) to see if we can set something up.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
TomT/Williamsburg

So this Bash would not involve any outside shows like we have done in the past? Not complaining, just asking - I do like the venue so far ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Vic Piano

Hi Tom, there may be another "show" at the Drive-In, as there are several local area car clubs that might want to participate. However, at this time nothing in conjunction with any other events has been planned. I can guarantee you perfect topless cruising weather though… Vic
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Tom, depending on the Bash dates, there may be an opportunity to take in Billetproof, before or after the Bash, for those who wish to attend that show. I have no idea when Billetproof is scheduled for 2013. Maybe Google would know?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Vic Piano

To my knowledge, the dates for the 2013 Billetproof Florida show have not been published yet however, I do think it will be in March. Vic
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
39coupe

Billetproof Florida is on March 23,2013 at Big Daddy's Museum. Mike
Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Steve/IL

Vic, Any chance of scheduling the 2013 Florida Barner's Bash in mid to late February?? We'll be in Florida until March 2. Bringing our 42 Ford Woodie down from Illinois. Really like the idea doing the Barner's Bash in southwest Florida! I believe quite a few of us snowbirds are heading home by early March?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
2013 Florida “Barner’s Bash” Plans

For the 2013 Florida “Barner’s Bash” we’re thinking about taking things a little further south of Tampa. Here are a few examples of things we’d like to do; there is an Antique Automobile Museum in Sarasota (approximately 100 miles south of Tampa) also, for the ladies, St. Armands Circle in Sarasota provides excellent shopping as well as a bunch of restaurants to choose from. I’ll start checking hotels in the area for availability and see if I can get a discount rate.

Steve (Steve46) has made initial contact with the Ruskin Drive-In and they are receptive to having a “car show”, reserving a row(s) for us on either Friday or Saturday night.

In Ft. Myers (a little further south) there is the Henry Ford winter retreat across the street from Thomas Edison’s home. Both are museums and would make an interesting stop.

We are thinking about having the “Bash” in early to mid March, but before we firm up any dates, I'd appreciate some input from those of you that would like to attend to enable us to accommodate the maximum number of “Barner’s”. We're looking forward to another Florida "Barner's Bash"
Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
Tom Morookian

If you actually get down to the Punta Gorda or Ft. Myers area there are 2 stops you may want to make:

Muscle Car City has a display (indoor) of over 100 cars - mostly muscle vintage so lots of GM chrysler as well as Mustangs and a few oldies

www.musclecarcity.net

Monday nights in North Ft. Myers (Rt 41 at Rt 78) Merchants Crossing has a "cruise in" usually attended by 100 or more cars. All vintages.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
Steve/IL

Tom,
Thanks for the heads up. When we were down last year, we attended a cruise in at Muscle Car City one weekend and a swap meet another weekend with our 65 Impala Station Wagon which we drove down from Illinois. I sold the Chevy Wagon when we got home, so now we only have Fords! Coming down in mid December and plan to go Muscle Car City events and to the Merchants Crossing cruise ins on a regular basis. Trailering the 42 Woodie down, since we just have too much to haul down from home. Will hopefully see you there?
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morookian View Post
If you actually get down to the Punta Gorda or Ft. Myers area there are 2 stops you may want to make:

Muscle Car City has a display (indoor) of over 100 cars - mostly muscle vintage so lots of GM chrysler as well as Mustangs and a few oldies

www.musclecarcity.net

Monday nights in North Ft. Myers (Rt 41 at Rt 78) Merchants Crossing has a "cruise in" usually attended by 100 or more cars. All vintages.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
Vic Piano

Steve, we haven't really started to get serious about the dates just yet... February sounds good to me and I want to accommodate as many "Barner's" as possible so we get the best turnout... I'll start getting serious about selecting the dates in a week or so. Vic
Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
Steve/IL

Vic,
I'm in for mid to late February. Hopefully more of us 'Barner' snowbirds will chime in with their Florida schedules.
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Steve, we haven't really started to get serious about the dates just yet... February sounds good to me and I want to accommodate as many "Barner's" as possible so we get the best turnout... I'll start getting serious about selecting the dates in a week or so. Vic
Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Pat/Ohio

Vic, Another Meet going on around that time is the AACA Meet in Lakeland on February 21-23, 2013. Might be something that some of the 'Barners might be interested in. Also the Zephyrhills Show is usually around that time also. We'll be Florida January thru March...so any of the dates should work for us. Thanks, Pat

Just checked....The Zephyrhills Show/Auction/Swap Meet is February 21-24, 2013.
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
Vic Piano

Pat, I'm aware of the other events going on in that time frame. The AACA Meet would be an excellent choice, Zephyrhills, on the other hand, has not provided very good hunting for Flathead pats in recent years. They do however have vintage dirt track racing as well as an auction but parking is poor. In the past we've always tied our event to another automotive related event and that has worked well however, in an attempt to expand our event, I thought it might be a nice change to do some touring in Sarasota, Ft. Myers and the surrounding area as there are automotive related venues to be enjoyed. As always, we’ll try to accommodate the wishes of the majority of attendees’, in scheduling the locations. Vic
Old 11-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Vic Piano

For those interested, here's a link that Steve (Steve46) provided that gives information about the Ruskin Drive-In. http://www.ruskinfamilydrivein.com/
Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
Vic Piano

Ok, we've narrowed it down to possibly two different weekend dates (the last weekend in February or the first weekend in March) however, we are waiting for conformation from the Drive-In as to their preferable date. We have also decided to schedule the "Bash" away from other events taking place in February & March in central Florida, to enable us to focus on and possibly expand our activities.

We are still in the early stages of setting things up so; we're open to suggestions from those of you that would plan to attend. I have it on good authority that Bill Wzorek may once again create one of his masterpieces’ for the "Miss Shelly Award", and we’re working on a few other venues of interest to visit. Let us know your thoughts and ideas, to make the 2013 Florida "Barner's Bash" the best one yet.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
Vic Piano