Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Tikker

Default Transmission Extension Tube Removal

Well my frustration level is at about a 9.9.
I have another thread asking for input as to how to remove the seal at the tail shaft/spline end of the transmission.
I replaced my u joints and thought it only made sense to replace the rear seal, wished I'd left that alone.
Tried all of the things suggested and even got a slide hammer I thought would have the appropriate attachment. The seal is still there and buggered enough to make it ineffective.
I'm looking at removing the extension tube (suggested by the guy I had install the u joints).
Can I simply remove the speedo cable, the four bolts fastening the extension tube to the tranny and pull it straight back and off?
My motors manual says to rotate 1/4 turn CCW and remove, but that has to do with removing the the countershaft.
I know this has to happen, I'm not going to get this seal out laying on my back, it is far more substantial than the replacement seal.
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Shadetree

Default Re: Transmission Extension Tube Removal

Tikker,
I just recently removed the rear seal on my `51 F1 but I had the transmission out of my truck. I am not sure if your `52 is the same as my truck. Removing the rear mount bolts was a bear with my new dual exhaust. I did not want to risk damaging my new exhaust as it touched the frame as I jacked up the engine to clear rear mount bolts that are in upside down. By working and prying was able get the two bolts out. After I had the transmission on an engine stand I cut the mechanic’s wire and removed the rear mount. I put it in a vise and used a claw hammer to remove the seal. It popped right out. Too, this gives you the ability to press the new seal in, lessening the possibility of damaging it. Don’t ask me how I know. I bought Mac Van Pelt's book on transmissions and it is invaluable when working with transmissions. Too, you are working with an outstanding individual that is just a phone call away.

I hope this helps..
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Tikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
Tikker,
I just recently removed the rear seal on my `51 F1 but I had the transmission out of my truck. I am not sure if your `52 is the same as my truck. Removing the rear mount bolts was a bear with my new dual exhaust. I did not want to risk damaging my new exhaust as it touched the frame as I jacked up the engine to clear rear mount bolts that are in upside down. By working and prying was able get the two bolts out. After I had the transmission on an engine stand I cut the mechanic’s wire and removed the rear mount. I put it in a vise and used a claw hammer to remove the seal. It popped right out. Too, this gives you the ability to press the new seal in, lessening the possibility of damaging it. Don’t ask me how I know. I bought Mac Van Pelt's book on transmissions and it is invaluable when working with transmissions. Too, you are working with an outstanding individual that is just a phone call away.

I hope this helps..
You don't say whether you removed the extension tube.
I'm hoping to do that instead of removing the whole transmission.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Mac VP

If this is an overdrive trans, I strongly recommend that you have a shop do this.....someone familiar with OD trannies. Even if it's a regular 3 speed trans, you have to partially disassemble the trans to get the rear housing off. This means pulling the trans out of the car. This is where you basically get to learn how to rebuild a trans. Or, you get more creative and persistant to get the old rear seal out. Take a deep breath...
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
JWL
Member Emeritus

Go to your friendly Ford dealer and ask to borrow their tailshaft seal removing tool. They have various sizes of these special tools. They are hollow expanders with a "catch lip". The tool gets compressed to slide over the tailshaft but through the seal. Upon relaxing tension the tool expands and the lip will grab the seal. A bolt in the center of the tool is tightened against the end of the tailshaft and the seal can be pulled out of the housing.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Tikker

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Both of the last two replies are telling me what I have suspected.
The tool is also one I have seen on ebay, but I couldn't get dimensional information to verify it would work on my particular transmission.
It isn't an OD trans. but my motors manual does describe a more involved dis assembly than I had hoped for for just wanting to change the seal.
Back to ebay.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

Maybe there's a Barner near you who could help or an Early V8 Club member. Seems like that seal should have been out of there days ago.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Dec211975

There is Kent Moore seal puller attachment that goes on a 3/8 slide hammer currently on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kent-Moore-J...item35c5189c8f a 3/8 slide hammer is available from OTC, Harbor freight and others or you could make your own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kent_Moore.jpg (48.1 KB, 18 views)
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
You don't say whether you removed the extension tube.
I'm hoping to do that instead of removing the whole transmission.
Tikker,
Please ignore my response. My truck transmission is different than yours. I just viewed a picture of the two transmissions together. My apologies...
Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Chris Nelson

I would go to the local too rental shop and get a proper seal removal tool. They all have them. I have been know to be too lazy to go to the tool rental shop and ended up using a cold chisel to weaken the seal enough that it fell out. I don't recommend this as you can damage the housing, making the housing difficult to seal up again.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Mac VP

The seal sits tightly in a pocket, which leaves precious little of the back side of the seal to grasp...unless it was a common aftermarket seal. The original seal has a full metal shell (front-back-sides) and is the toughest of them to remove. They come easily enough if the tail housing is removed, but that is obviously the stall point for you on this job.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
Tikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
The seal sits tightly in a pocket, which leaves precious little of the back side of the seal to grasp...unless it was a common aftermarket seal. The original seal has a full metal shell (front-back-sides) and is the toughest of them to remove. They come easily enough if the tail housing is removed, but that is obviously the stall point for you on this job.
Finally found someone that knows exactly what I'm up against.
Been trying to make all understand, the existing seal is entirely more substantial than todays replacement seal.
I'm thinking my only move is to pull the transmission and take it to a tranny shop and have the seal changed out, probably do the rear bushing at the same time. I appreciate everyones input, I've tried all the suggestions given here.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Butch11443

Used to screw a sheet metal screw into the seal and pull it out with a slide hammer.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
Finally found someone that knows exactly what I'm up against.
Been trying to make all understand, the existing seal is entirely more substantial than todays replacement seal.
I'm thinking my only move is to pull the transmission and take it to a tranny shop and have the seal changed out, probably do the rear bushing at the same time. I appreciate everyones input, I've tried all the suggestions given here.
I'm in Yakima Wa. I have the Ford tool that JWL mentioned. I worked at a Ford dealer years ago and then ran my own transmission shop for many years. I've taken out hundreds of these seals and bushings and never had to pull the extension housing. Many of them before I had the factory tool.
PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you want.
Bill

ford tool that JWL
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
Tikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch11443 View Post
Used to screw a sheet metal screw into the seal and pull it out with a slide hammer.
Butch
Tried that, as noted above.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Tikker

Thanks to bbrocksr, I've removed the bushing and seal.
He was gracious enough to loan me the exact tool required and it made it effortless!
I appreciate everyone's input to my quest, I knew this was the place to go for answers to my questions.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
Mike in AZ

glad you got it done, so you wouldn't go a 10 on that meter....glad someone was close with the correct tool to borrow, too....congrats.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote