Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
40larry

Default Model 59 Holley Carburetor - Is it an Economizer Valve or a Power Valve?

Recently there was a thread regarding this valve and exactly what it should look like. Can someone help me find this thread? The repair kits available today supply valves of differing shapes. What exactly should this valve look like and how can it be tested before using? Thanks for any help you can provide.
40larry
40larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Model 59 Holley Carburetor - Is it an Economizer Valve or a Power Valve?

I don't have pictures, but if you're refering to the external valve, that is a spark control valve. Although it appears similar in appearance to a power/economizer valve, it has an entirely different function and will not interchange. the power (or economizer) valve is internal.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
meric42

Default Re: Model 59 Holley Carburetor - Is it an Economizer Valve or a Power Valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40larry View Post
Recently there was a thread regarding this valve and exactly what it should look like. Can someone help me find this thread? The repair kits available today supply valves of differing shapes. What exactly should this valve look like and how can it be tested before using? Thanks for any help you can provide.
40larry
If you go to Vintsage Speed at the following link: https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...rt~A2~cadegdha

Charlie Price has all the correct parts for your carburetor, he also has some excellent video instructions on youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPq4WhD2s0Y

This is part one of the 4 part series on rebuilding Holley carburetors.

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The 59 is a Holley model 94 that is set up for the 59 series engines. Most Holley carbs use the diaphragm type vacuum operated power valve. Economizer valve is just another term for the same thing really. Stromberg used a different type. Some later Holley carbs like the 885 used a vacuum piston to operate a power valve similar to the one Stromberg carbs had. Holley vacuum operated diaphragm type valves have a tendency to blow out the diaphragm if the carb experiences a back fire. Blow out protectors in the vacuum circuit have been made to prevent that for some carbs.

The later type Holley vacuum diaphragm power valves don't fit well in the older carbs but modifications can be done to the housing to make some later types work.

Here is a link: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...valves.155818/

CharlieNY, here on the forum, makes a late type valve fit and seal like they should.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-15-2019 at 01:33 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote