Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
kevinwalshe

Default Long Block weight

Does anyone know what a stock Model A long block weighs? This would be without generator, intake/exhaust manifolds, clutch or flywheel. I tried to search for it but could not find an answer. I may pull my motor to clean and paint the frame while the body is off. I know, I know, buy a cherry picker. Unfortunately I can't afford one right now so just need to know if a buddy and I can lift that sucker. Thanks guys.
Kevin
kevinwalshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Mikeinnj

Default Re: Long Block weight

I bought an engine with the same parts removed and the owners nephew lifted the engine out of his trunk and into mine ...alone. Real big boy !
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

I had an old block and tackle that I picked up at a swap meet so I made a provision to attach it to the beam over my garage door. I installed a removable decorative piece to fill the two holes I cut in the door for the chain to go through. You didn't know the provision for it was there when I was not using it. Other than that, rent a cherry picker or borrow one from a local club.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
Joe K

IIRC, the total price of engine and transmission is 475lbs. So subtract perhaps 75 lbs for the generator, manifolds. Subtract another 63 for the flywheel and perhaps 17 for the clutch & pressure plate so now we're down to about 320 lbs. Subtract another 75 for the tranny & bellhousing. So now perhaps 245?

Three men could do it. Pushing your luck with two.

You can make a gantry to hoist from. I used four 2x12x4's as the base. Two 4x4x8' tall as the two uprights and two 2x12x8' long as the cross member. 3/4 Allthread in length with hardened steel washers. Two at each juncture for a total of 8 pieces of allthread and 16 nuts and washers. I have dolly wheels under the four outboard ends of the 4' pieces, but you could have it sit on the floor and roll the chassis/car into and out from underneath with the gantry stationary. Having it sit on the floor actually makes it stronger. (You gain advantage by not letting the base "splay.")

I'm an engineer and this rig is qualified to carry up to 1 ton. The one ton Harbor Freight hoist is ton capable, but NOT an ANSI rated hoist. Still, it will easily lift a 500lb motor using the third spark plug hole.

Here's the hoist currently $49.95

They have come-along type hoists in 1/4 ton for the same price but that is probably a little skimpy. You'll be more pleased with the one above methinks.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 03-25-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
CarlG

I finally broke down and bought a cherry picker. Found this one on Craig's List, it was new -never been used. They are on there quite often, and usually at a pretty good (cheap) price. I've used it once now and could kick myself for not getting it a long time ago.

Now where in the world am I going to store it??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wim12429.jpg (22.6 KB, 6 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 03-25-2015 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Add Pix
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Big hammer

Along time ago when I was 16, I remove my engine by myself. Lowered car on front axle, blocks on a creeper, wiggled it loose, raised car and wheeled motor out. But I could not get it back in, dad two brothers and me used two straps to lift it in place. Dad said I wouldn't be due that again!! Anything can be done with a lot of time and little $$
Big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
fiddlybits

Just in the last month......

Short block... no problem, lifted it to the bench.
Short block... out of the chassis (no body) - same weight but awkward. Needed 2 people. (if you value your back... don't go there alone)

Long block.... I could lift it to waist high but not to the bench...starting to get awkward in size plus the additional weight. 2 people minimum.

Considering the size and weight.... I'd check with other members and see if you could borrow a cherry picker for a day.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
hardtimes

Hey Kevin,
IF you and your buddy are fairly sturdy, you should have no problem with an A or B short block ...approx. 150lbs. One way to help anyone move heavy awkward weight, is with LEVERAGE. This can be accomplished easily with ...say a 4x4 with chain or rope tied to block and close to 4x4 ! You two can get a good upright stance , using principally legs/shoulders. I'm past health prime and couple months ago picked a full B short block off of an engine stand and put it onto my truck bed. Adrenalin is an powerful drug when needed.

What you have described as a 'long' block, I call a short block !

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-25-2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: ...........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:42 AM   #9
RonC

The cherry pickers can be rented fairly cheap. I can rent one for $20 for 4 hours or $40 for the day. You run the risk of damage to your cars sheet metal without the proper tools

Last edited by RonC; 03-26-2015 at 05:48 AM.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
The cherry pickers can be rented fairly cheap. I can rent one for $20 for 4 hours or $40 for the day. You run the risk of damage to your cars sheet metal without the proper tools
You risk damaging your body if you try to lift the heavy engine. In the late 70's I picked up a hit and miss engine and carried it across the top barn floor and down the steps. My back was messed up for several months.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
Joe K

I've now been fixed for a hernia twice in my life. The second was about a third of the way up my tummy. (seemed an odd place for a bulge.)

Joe K
Old 03-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
I've now been fixed for a hernia twice in my life. The second was about a third of the way up my tummy. (seemed an odd place for a bulge.)

Joe K
Yup, very true, as I had to have such (3 inches long tear) repaired soon after doing such a 'stunt' ...bummer, work smart , even when have to work alone !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #13
Vic in E-TN

I have had a 2 ton Harbor Freight fold up cherry picker for years. It has worked real well for engine pulling, etc. However it is proving to be too heavy duty and cumbersome for some smaller tasks like engines from storage stands to my new test stand so I just got a 1 ton Harbor Freight fold up cherry picker for $150. I will assemble it soon. One of the legs on the 2 ton unit fell on my foot last week as I was trying to set it up. I have made a few friends lending the cherry picker out for a few 6-packs.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #14
Quigley1930

I got the Harbor Freight 1 ton fold up for $99.00 on sale. Works great. used on three engines so far

Sewall Tyler
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:43 PM   #15
kevinwalshe

Thanks for all the responses, seems the consensus is to just save my back and get a cherry picker. I will find a solid one on craigslist when I have a couple bucks to spend on a tool I will use 1-3 times a year. I figure that it wouldn't weigh much with the genny, head, trans, clutch and flywheel off, but I'd rather not smash my toes or block if it slips out of my 'tips.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:54 AM   #16
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Auto Zone Parts store loan tools at no charge. I don't know if they have cherry pickers or not but maybe worth asking. You do have to pay a deposit but will be refunded when you bring it back.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:08 AM   #17
larrys40

Kevin
Wisdom is a wonderful thing. It is one thing to be economical. It is another to be unwise for the sake of a few dollars . As cheap as they are to rent or if you put an ad on Craigslist to borrow one you might find one as a loaner or good buy.

Even though you are young and may think you can lift anything getting them in and out is going to be more bulk and a tighter fit than you think . I just pulled one today and do lots of them. I wouldn't think of not using a picker or hoist . One person screwing up their back, straining their arms or legs and getting hurt is not even worth it. It could be a life changing time if you know what I mean . Why take a chance. I was 18 when I first started on mine and know the struggle of cost and passion of the project. But I also know that it's just the part if tinkering with these and the choice to do so . Be wise and respectful as if one of your friends got hurt bad you would never forget it.
Wisdom is a wonderful thing
Larry s

Last edited by larrys40; 03-27-2015 at 02:15 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:48 AM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

I made this engine lift, which could also lift the front or rear of the car if it had to. A month ago I had to lift a complete Studebaker engine and tranny out of my trailer, so I backed the trailer under a tree limb and used a chain and come-a-long to get the job done. I've done this a few times before I made my engine lift. I made the top bar to slip out so the lift can be knocked down to 3 pieces for easy storage and portability.

Notice I use a block and cable system with a two to one ratio. This makes it more controllable and easier to crank, plus cuts in half the weight on the cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Engine Lift1.jpg (48.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Engine Lift2.jpg (45.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Engine Lift3.jpg (52.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Engine Lift4.jpg (47.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-27-2015 at 03:53 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #19
kevinwalshe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I made this engine lift, which could also lift the front or rear of the car if it had to. A month ago I had to lift a complete Studebaker engine and tranny out of my trailer, so I backed the trailer under a tree limb and used a chain and come-a-long to get the job done. I've done this a few times before I made my engine lift. I made the top bar to slip out so the lift can be knocked down to 3 pieces for easy storage and portability.

Notice I use a block and cable system with a two to one ratio. This makes it more controllable and easier to crank, plus cuts in half the weight on the cable.
That is an awesome Idea! I'm sure I can weld one up with some old trailer stock and be able to lift more than just an engine. I really like the adjustability of yours. Currently saving my nickels for a hoist, haven't decided which type just yet.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #20
ian Simpson

I recommend buying, borrowing or renting a cherry picker. I have done without in the past. At the age of fourteen I lifted a 1500cc engine from a Singer Le Mans Replica from the ground onto a pickup, but now I know better. I even get my wife to help me lift a glass of wine.

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote