Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
56yblock

Default temperature sending

hello guys
i have a problem with my temperature sending
i bought a new one but it's not fit for my intake manifold 272 y block, the seller "denis carpenter confirmed that's correct
i told him thats bigger as mine
i tried to change it but it's not possible
i post the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180224_160938.jpg (36.2 KB, 56 views)
56yblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
CrownVic55

Default Re: temperature sending

The temp sender installs in the left side head towards the back. You said intake manifold so it would appear that maybe someone put an aftermarket sender in the heater outlet. Where did you remove the original sender?
Ben
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
56yblock

sorry i'm wrong its not intake manifold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171210_130902.jpg (39.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 02-24-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
dmsfrr

The smaller sensor is the correct size for '57 or newer.
The larger shiny one is correct for '56.
'56 cars had a one-year-only dash gauge electrical system and used 12 full volts for the gauges.
57's use 12v but with a voltage regulator / reducer for the gauges.

Since your engine has the smaller ('57+) temp sensor... some parts of the engine, or even the whole engine, have been changed over the years.

Here's a link with 'how to' ID info for the engine block...
http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm

and the heads...
http://www.ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm

A exhaustive (15 sec) internet search shows me the dash gauges in the '56 and '57 full-sized cars aren't the same. (so you can't put a '57 temp gauge in your '56 dash to match the '57 sensor)

The driver's side head (at the least) of your engine is most likely newer than '56 so a '56 Temp sensor won't bolt in.
The bushing the sensor screws into can be drilled out and re-threaded to fit the larger sensor that should match the temp gauge in your dash.

I have '58 heads on the engine in my (converted to 12v) '55 and had the same problem with the Temp sensor & gauge setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '56 & '57 temp sensors c.jpg (35.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg temperature bushing.jpg (63.7 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-24-2018 at 09:31 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: temperature sending

And if they are 57/ heads and the car (56) needs the 56 specific sender, he can also change the adapter/insert for the cyl head/sending unit.

Both are still available.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
CrownVic55

Dmsfrr, Just curious, since 56 pass cars and 57 birds have the same gauge, did the Bird use the unique 12 volt unit or the newer 57 unit? I've owned a couple of 57 Birds but never messed with the temp gauge.
Ben
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic55 View Post
Dmsfrr, Just curious, since 56 pass cars and 57 birds have the same gauge, did the Bird use the unique 12 volt unit or the newer 57 unit? I've owned a couple of 57 Birds but never messed with the temp gauge.
Ben
Dang, I'm losing it. You are right!!
The '57 T-Bird used the same style Temp gauge as the '56 full-sized passenger cars. Yes the power to the '57 version uses reduced regulated voltage (but the '56 version does not).

A '57 T-Bird gauge could be put in the dash of a '56 (full sized car) look the same and it would electrically match up with the existing '57 style sensor in the head of 56yblock's car.
It would need the '57 style 'gauge voltage regulator' for its power circuit, but otherwise should work fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56_Fairlane_dash.jpg (131.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 Thunderbird Dashboard Gauges.jpg (97.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-04-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:53 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic55 View Post

Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

Dang, I'm losing it. You are right!!

The '57 T-Bird used the same looking/style Temp gauge as the '56 full-sized passenger cars. Yes the power to the '57 version uses reduced regulated voltage (but the '56 version does not).

A '57 T-Bird gauge could be put in the dash of a '56 (full sized car) look the same and it would electrically match up with the existing '57 style sensor on the head in 56yblock's car.

It would need the '57 style 'gauge voltage regulator' for its power circuit, but otherwise should work fine.
The 56 FORD and 56 BIRD used different TEMP GAUGES, although they appear similar. Both systems were full BAT VOLT (12V systems).

The 57 BIRD had its own unique gauge and was powered through a constant voltage regulator (10804) (along with fuel level gauge).

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 02-25-2018, 03:57 AM   #9
56yblock

thanks for help me
the car is come from ontario maybe it's different in usa ?
do you think if i buy 57 t bird (the small) and it works with my 56 gauge ?
or i must change the gauge?
Old 02-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56yblock View Post

thanks for help me

Does the PATENT PLATE read FORD USA or FORD of CANADA?

Quote:

IMO- The easiest way to go about it is to change the adapter bushing on the cyl head to accept the 56 sending unit to be compatible with the vehicle wiring system. It is a 12V car, correct? Some very early 56 models were still 6V.

By any chance are you French Canadian? You broken English and reference to Ontario has me curious.

ADAPT- Water Temp Ind Sensor - B4A 10911-A 3-8in

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 02-25-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The 56 FORD and 56 BIRD used different TEMP GAUGES, although they appear similar. Both systems were full BAT VOLT (12V systems)
just FYI
While the oem '56 gauges DO use full 12v to power them (one-yr-only)
the '56 full-sized passenger cars and '56 T-Birds use completely different looking gauges.
Photos below....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56_Fairlane_dash.jpg (131.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg '56 T-Bird dash.jpg (69.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Red face Re: temperature sending

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

just FYI

While the oem '56 gauges DO use full 12v to power them (one-yr-only)
the '56 full-sized passenger cars and '56 T-Birds use completely different looking gauges.

Photos below....
Slurring my URL's again...

Once again, I stand corrected.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 02-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #13
dmsfrr

Quote:
thanks for help me
If the car was built in Canada, Yes the parts could easily be different than for cars built in the US.
It may(?) also make a difference if the car was built early or late in the model year. The Build Date should be on the data plate of the car. See this pdf link, that opens in a new window...
https://thecvaonline.com/howtos/DataPlateDecoder.pdf

Try to figure out what parts the car has in it now.... beginning with the engine or cylinder head (is it the original one for the car?)
Here's a link with ID info for the engine block...
http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm
and the heads...
http://www.ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm

Determining if the car uses a '56 or '57 style wiring setup may be slightly difficult, and it makes a notable difference.
Look at the back side of the dash board and try to locate a voltage regulator that may or may not be there. (example image below)
If the car has one it will be located specifically / only in the power wiring to the Fuel & Temp gauges, and possibly screwed to the back of the dash gauge cluster.
Don't be distracted by the similar looking Circuit Breakers that are located in the larger size (usually yellow) main power wires.
Also look on the back side of the temp gauge you have for the date it was built. A slight problem is, both a '56 and '57 gauge will be marked "12v", so a date is more important.

What is the "easiest" way to fix your Temp gauge problem???
Did you test the gauge by temporarily *grounding* the sensor wire to the engine or other metal of the car? (with the ign key turned on) The gauge needle should move all the way across the dial if is working correctly. If it doesn't the gauge is bad or receiving no power from the Ign key switch.

You should be able to test the temp sensor with an Ohm meter. With the engine cold and the wire to the gauge removed, it will show a specific resistance. With the engine at operating temperature the resistance will be different. (I don't know any actual resistance readings)
If the sensor is out of the engine you can still test it cold/hot with an Ohm meter and a pot of boiling water, but don't burn your fingers. Also, don't put the entire sensor into water, just the end that goes inside the head.

After some trouble shooting... since you may need to replace some parts to get the Temp gauge working...
I'll suggest that due to the tools needed, it will be easier to change - a sensor, regulator or gauge, but only 'as needed' and after locating the underlying problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash voltage regulator.jpg (18.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg circuit breaker.jpg (36.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-04-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:43 AM   #14
56yblock

KULTULZ the car it"s canadian but i'm live in France....
Old 02-26-2018, 01:52 AM   #15
56yblock

ok i try to find a 57 t bird temperature sender, like original
Old 02-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: temperature sending

Quote:

KULTULZ
the car it"s canadian but i'm live in France....
THANX!

Just curious...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-04-2018, 03:56 AM   #17
56yblock

I think the engine and gearbox are newer than the original, I changed my speedometer cable and it does not work
and i've put a speedometer gear for the 56 cars there"s was not......maybe i need the 57 but it's differente
Old 03-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #18
KULTULZ

Quote:

I think the engine and gearbox are newer than the original, I changed my speedometer cable and it does not work

and i've put a speedometer gear for the 56 cars there"s was not......maybe i need the 57 but it's differente
To check cable operation-

Remove the cable housing from the speedometer head and hold it while driving slowly (or raise the back of the car). If the cable turns, the cable/housing is good. If it doesn't turn, you have a drive/driven gear problem (or a broken cable).

Remove the cable housing from the trans, and put the cable end into a power drill. If the speedometer operates, the head is OK. If not, the problem(s) will be in the gear drives and or the cable end(s) are not inserted correctly (or cable is too short).

Both drive/driven gear have to match one another (pitch), so year of trans may make it a mis-match. Usually if one of the gears is not correct in application, one of the gears will be chewed.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #19
Daves55Sedan

Quote:

First, you need to be able to identify if the aluminum rear extension housing is a '55/56 model or is it a '57/58/59 model. Most people can't tell them apart, but the speedo cable inserts into the hole at a different angle on the two types, thus, a 55/56 speedo cable/gear assembly will not function with a '57/58/59 rear extension housing (and vice-versa). Sorry, I don't have photos to show the difference.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:11 AM   #20
56yblock

the speedometer cable and the gear are new , when I pass the 1st gear, the car begin going, the speedometer indicates the maximum and stay like this,when I pass the return he go back to zero....
here is the problem